Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime Plug-In Missing in Safari 9/El Capitan

After upgrading to OS X 10.11 & Safari 9, I noticed that a video I uploaded to my website (created by iWeb, in case that's relevant) can no longer be viewed on my computer. I get the "missing plug-in" display:

User uploaded file

Clicking on it provides the following pop-up window:

User uploaded file

Selecting "More Info..." takes me to http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ and the super-useful information that Quicktime is built into OS X:

User uploaded file

But there's no link to download the plug-in. (The page seems rather out of date, as Software Update hasn't been part of OS X since the days of Snow Leopard (10.6), right? App Store took its place in the Apple menu.

So does anyone know how to download the Quicktime Plug-In? I've already checked Help -> Installed Plug-ins and verified that Quicktime isn't listed there.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 8:47 AM

Don't know if this will help but I just did a clean install of El capitan and looking in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ there was a folder there marked disabled plugins and in it was quicktime plugin. So maybe it will be on your computer like that too.

Just take the plugin out of the disabled folder into the "Internet Plug-Ins" folder.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 8:47 AM in response to DashingDaveASC

Don't know if this will help but I just did a clean install of El capitan and looking in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ there was a folder there marked disabled plugins and in it was quicktime plugin. So maybe it will be on your computer like that too.

Just take the plugin out of the disabled folder into the "Internet Plug-Ins" folder.

Oct 6, 2015 9:17 AM in response to lordheart

Nice catch! I moved both plug-ins that were in the disabled folder:

nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

QuickTime Plugin.plugin

out of there and back into the main Internet Plug-Ins folder at large, and I was able to view the video that I'd mentioned being unable to see in my original post. I'm not sure if there'll be any ramifications moving forward for un-disabling those 2 items, but, for now, things are working correctly.

Oct 13, 2015 3:26 AM in response to pepemex

I looked where you suggested Macintosh HD>Library>Internet Plug-ins> and bingo there they were in the disabled folder!! Move them out of there and all works like a charm!! Congrats for those who can figure these things out. The US maybe in decadence in many ways, like moral issues, "little bit pregnant" until three months; same sex marriage -marriage being a misnomer, it is a partnership. But in computers and complex logics, the US is quantum leaps ahead of everything, countries, peoples, etc.

Quicktime Plug-In Missing in Safari 9/El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.