Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini and El Capitan

Ever since I upgraded to El Capitan on my 13 inch, late 2011 MacBook Pro, my Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini will not show in Logic or in the System Preferences as an available input or output device. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Mbox driver. Still doesn't work and I'm not sure where to go from here.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply
30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 12:33 PM in response to Eddie5150

If you use an Avid MBOX 2 USB Audio Interface, DO NOT UPGRADE TO EL CAPITAN.

The device drivers will no longer load:

10/5/15 9:40:44.399 PM com.apple.kextd[53]: Untrusted kexts are not allowed

10/5/15 9:40:44.399 PM com.apple.kextd[53]: ERROR: invalid signature for com.digidesign.mbox2.driver, will not load

The MBOX 2 worked perfectly in Yosemite.. I'll be downgrading ASAP...

I received the following link from Avid customer support.

Basically MBOX 2 drivers do not work in El Capitan. See below:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/Mac-OS-X-10-11-El-Capitan -support-for-Media-Composer-Pro-Tools-Si…

Only option is to cross your fingers and wait for a fix from either Avid or Apple.. or go back to Yosemite..

Since I'm in the middle of a project and stupidly updated, I'll be installing Yosemite on an external disk in order to get my project completed...

Thank you for your courage

Oct 14, 2015 2:39 AM in response to Eddie5150

How long did it take for your backup to be fully restored from Time Machine? I have about 400 GB of data on my machine and stupidly upgraded to El Capitan without realizing my MBox wouldn't work.

Also, does anyone know how long it typically takes Avid/Apple to repair these kinds of issues? Seems pretty major if all Avid devices are unusable right now. Hoping for a fix soon.

Oct 16, 2015 5:44 AM in response to AJK1029

Hopefully you made a backup before you updated and can restore it, that is probably the most straight-forward approach.

Otherwise you need to download Yosemite again and re-install it by either erasing your El Capitan install or installing on an external disk..

Please try and file a bug report with Apple.

Yes I realize the MBOX 2 is technically no longer supported by Avid.. but I still hope there will be a fix at some point. It is my personal belief the issue is mostly on Apple's side of the fence since there are complaints of MIDI devices being broken all over the place, not specific to MBOX2.

Thank you for your courage.

Oct 17, 2015 6:30 AM in response to elbenoit

I sent a support ticket in for this issue as well but sadly I'm not sure that this hardware will be supported for much longer by either Apple or Adobe. They didn't support it with Yosemite although there are work arounds. I have a feeling it will be harder to keep up with it. I'm looking to get a used Mac Mini to have solely for recording with the MBox2.

Oct 19, 2015 6:49 PM in response to SMurphy

I was able to get my Avid MBOX 2 up and running again by installing yosemite on an external disk and then re-downloading garage band and the MBOX 2 drivers.

First I installed the 10.3.9 MBOX 2 driver but the device was not recognized.

I had to manually delete the 10.3.9 drivers using the terminal and then install 10.3.3 MBOX 2 driver.

From there the MBOX lit up and is once again recognized by the system and is visible in the DigiDesign System Preference and Garage Band.

What a relief.

Thank you for your courage.

Oct 21, 2015 12:59 PM in response to AJK1029

Delete the MBOX 2 driver:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/how_to/Manually-Uninstall-Avid-Audio-Interfac e-Driver-Components-Mac-OS-X

Note I am command line savvy so I used the terminal. You'll need to use SUDO to run some of the commands.

I am crossing my fingers that 10.11.1 fixes this stuff. It is out today and supposedly has fixes for Audio Plug Ins not functioning.. but I have not tried it yet.

As for a disk, I just used an off the shelf Seagate USB 3.0 external to install Yosemite. Nothing special about it. I record my tracks onto a separate firewire disk. After I created the installer on the disk, I rebooted onto that disk and just installed Yosemite. The only gotcha I had was that it was not initially recognized when holding down the option key. I had to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to be recognized. No issues since then.

Thank you for your courage!

Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini and El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.