Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod classic no longer syncs properly

Ever since I updated itunes my ipod classic 160gb no longer syncs song or videos properly. Even when I break up the songs into smaller playlists sometime itunes will freeze on a song or video and either not respond or force me to restore my ipod. I've reinstalled itunes several times and formatted my ipod twice, is there any way to fix this syncing issue?

iPod classic, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 10:25 AM

28 replies

Oct 7, 2015 5:06 PM in response to Werepop

That's not looking too healthy. Several DFU resets or reformats may clear those current pendings, but the device is going to freeze up if a new problem sector is used for storing a folder or section of the device's database. See how the stats evolve, but I don't hold out much hope for the current drive. There are third parties that supply and/or fit new drives for iPod classic.

tt2

Oct 8, 2015 10:20 AM in response to Werepop

Rolling back iTunes isn't going to fix the health of the hard drive. If it appears in iTunes, and iTunes attempts to sync with it, then the issue isn't the version of iTunes, or any third party software. The problem will most likely have been steadily getting worse, as evidenced by the high numbers of reallocated sectors. If they occur within a song that song skips and the iPod plays the next one. Next restore the unreadable cluster gets swapped out. It only becomes a real problem when folders or database data become unreadable, because that locks up the whole device. In an ideal world there would be a verify after write, at least for any critical data, so it could be rewritten elsewhere.

tt2

Oct 8, 2015 6:24 PM in response to turingtest2

The thing is I had my iPod checked my an apple associate and they found that nothing was wrong with the hard drive. They said the reallocated sectors probably happened when iTunes froze and disrupted the syncing because the reallocation only went that high after the update. I've checked the sector before and it wasn't that high.

Oct 9, 2015 2:50 AM in response to Werepop

My understanding is that reallocation is handled by the hard drive's firmware. After it has attempted and failed to read data from a cluster it marks that cluster as pending, and the next time an attempt is made to write to the cluster the data is instead written to the reallocation area and a note of the remapping is made. It is quite possible for a hard drive to be error free for a considerable period of time and then fail catastrophically. I think it is clear that your stats imply the drive is no longer healthy.

Shark_Attack's drive on the other hand is a model of good health so I'm assuming issues there are either with software or the physical connection.

tt2

Oct 9, 2015 5:40 PM in response to turingtest2

I wish that were true. I'm at a loss. It passed all of the diagnostic tests. If I plug it into my computer it immediately freezes iTunes. I need to then reboot the computer. I was, however, able to disk mode on my Mac and erase deleted files and verify/repair. That allowed me to reset and connect with iTunes on my Mac. I even uploaded songs to it that I am listening to now to confirm it worked. So all tests are being passed. I'm able to connect to an earlier version of iTunes and upload music to it. I just suddenly can connect to my PC with Windows 8 since the moment I upgraded to iTunes 12.3.

I've searched everywhere for a solution and I'm baffled. It never had an issue before the iTunes upgrade. It doesn't have an issue with the Mac and can connect. I'm using the same cord to connect to both. Baffling.

Ipod classic no longer syncs properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.