Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This computer doesn't contain any Apple Internal Memory Card Readers."

My SD card reader is no longer detected after installing El Cap beta. I've done a clean reinstall of the latest production version of El Cap, still with no SD joy. Hardware list shows "This computer doesn't contain any Apple Internal Memory Card Readers."

Am I stuck going to another city to find a Genius?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Boot Camp with Win 10

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 3:16 PM

13 replies

Nov 13, 2015 12:30 PM in response to nucleon2000

nucleon2000 wrote:

Very disappointing. I had a chat on this topic on the developer board when I was using the El Cap beta...the Apple folk suggested I repartition and install Mavericks to see if that made it work. Gee thanks....

I am 2 hours from the closest Apple store. It's this kind of garbage that makes me consider going to the Dark Side with a Dell XPS or a Microsoft Surface Book!!!!

Well, I can not immediately solve your problem with OS X 10.11.1 and no hardware recognition for the SD port.

I suggest if SDcard reading is crucial to your workflow, an external USB SDcard reader can be bought anywhere $4.00 - $8.00

This is a much better option than driving 2 hours. Or on the other hand you could buy a Dell or Surface book as you suggest.

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Bug Reporter https://bugreport.apple.com/

Nov 13, 2015 11:29 AM in response to nucleon2000

Hi,

Same here,

All options tested and nothing seems to help.

If i reboot the card reader works once.

After that the computer does not recognise that it has a card reader installed.

There are several threads on this subject dating back to 2010, so one would hope Apple could find a reason...

The card works fine on my 2010 MBP so there is nothing wrong with the card

Frustrating that this issue is allowed to go on for years.

Nov 13, 2015 11:33 AM in response to vikfors

Very disappointing. I had a chat on this topic on the developer board when I was using the El Cap beta...the Apple folk suggested I repartition and install Mavericks to see if that made it work. Gee thanks....

I am 2 hours from the closest Apple store. It's this kind of garbage that makes me consider going to the Dark Side with a Dell XPS or a Microsoft Surface Book!!!!

Nov 13, 2015 1:07 PM in response to nucleon2000

nucleon2000 wrote:

My first instinct was to provide a snarky response to this, but I won't as it was posted in good faith.

This is a nearly $3000 laptop still under warranty. I really expect Apple to do something about it, particularly since others are having the same problem.

I am sure Apple will do something about it. Possibly replace your entire machine for one that works if nothing can be resolved.

Much to your disappointment, I have not seen a universal fix offered up in the ASC.

I can say 10.11 did not break my card reader, however it has always been extremely finicky. Sometime having to reinsert ~15 times a varying angles of attack and pressure to get it to mount.

Viable options have been offered up above in this thread, none apparently satisfy you in effort to move forward.

Another alternative is to patiently wait for the 10.11.2 update and see if the problem resolves.

Nov 13, 2015 1:25 PM in response to nucleon2000

nucleon2000 wrote:

Do you work for Apple? It's not that none of them SATISFY me, but rather that none of them WORKED!

This is a user to user forum. I am a user just like you looking for answers.

So you have already

1.) drive 2 hours to the Apple store

2.) as an interm buy a $4.00 external USB SDcard reader

3.) revert back to an OS X that had your card reader working

4.) bought a Dell XPS or a Microsoft Surface Book!!!!

5.) waited patiently for the 10.11.2 update

Apr 17, 2016 12:36 PM in response to DelHev

I've got the same problem. The internal card reader doesn't open when I insert an SD card. I checked the "About this Mac" and got this message, This computer doesn't contain any Apple Internal Memory Card Readers. And I couldn't get it to read from a USB card reader. Have you resolved this issue since you posted it in Dec?

Apr 17, 2016 3:54 PM in response to Goody64

Still having the same problem. There are other threads about this, too.

sd card on iMac not working with el capitan

It is most certainly a software problem, apparently with incorrect kexts, Apple's version of drivers, loading. There are some fixes, but I am not savvy or brave enough to apply them.

APPLE needs to wake up and fix this before we all bail to Dells with (gasp) Windows 10...

May 2, 2016 7:09 AM in response to nucleon2000

Posting this as I was having the same problem and this worked for me, found it on another thread. I installed the latest driver and now my card reader is working fine, it has also re-appeared on under my system report whereas before I could only find it with disk utility and even then couldn't mount the card.

http://www.acs.com.hk/en/driver/4/acr38-smart-card-reader/

Cheers!

"This computer doesn't contain any Apple Internal Memory Card Readers."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.