Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Congratulations you have won an iPhone pop-up

Every time I try to use safari on my iPhone 6 I get a pop up message saying "Congratulations! You won an iPhone press any button to confirm". It looks like the message comes from Facebook but obviously it's not. The first time it comes up you can select cancel and it goes away. The second time there is no option other than to press ok or close safari. I cannot use the internet at all on my phone. I have deleted all recently installed apps, cleared my cache ,cookies, history etc and performed a restore and it is still there. Anyone have any ideas?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 5:29 PM

Apple still hasn’t fixed this in iOS 11.2 iPhone X. What a shame. None of the solutions work for more than a minute. This is a serious bug and because Apple doesn’t allow us to change the default browser, this is a legitimate issue for a legal burden on Apple.

78 replies

Dec 31, 2017 6:46 PM in response to StupidAppleJunk

StupidAppleJunk wrote:

Apple………where are your real support people on these forums?

They won't be found here. This is a user supported forum, hosted by Apple. AppleCare and Apple Store Genius are the place to get answers to problems like this directly from Apple. You can also give them Feedback, but that's not likely to get an answer specific to your needs.

BTW, none of the dozens of folks I know are seeing this popup and from the descriptions I'm seeing here, there is at least an equal chance that the problem is with your router or DNS service. Perhaps coincidental that it started with iOS 11.x

Jan 26, 2018 1:20 PM in response to Giova-Jo

Oct 8, 2015 1:47 PMin response to Melmcdonald2

Here's the full text:

iDevice Safari Phishing Adware Pop-ups

Your device does not have a virus. You can fix this as follows:

Kill Safari by double-tapping on the Home button. Locate Safari in the task bar, then slide the Safari mini-page upwards so it vanishes.

Tap Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data. Next, locate Security section and slide the “Block Pop-Ups” switch to the On position.

Press the Home button to return to your Home screen.

If this doesn’t help, then reset your device. It won't delete your data. Press and hold down the On/Off button and the Home button until the display turns off and returns with the Apple logo showing.

Alternatively, follow these instructions to reset your device: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Jan 26, 2018 5:02 PM in response to Giova-Jo

The next diagnostic step is a Restore:

• Make a backup in iCloud
  • Make another backup in iTunes - for it to be complete, it must be an encrypted backup; do not forget the password!
  • Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes on your computer, or at least 12.6.3 or later
  • Connect the phone and restore iOS, and set up the phone as NEW - do not restore your backup
  • Verify that the problem is gone (it will be).

Now restore either the iCloud or iTunes backup. If the problem returns most likely you have an app that is subverting Safari. You need to figure out which app. Note that if you have ever gotten an app from anywhere except the Apple App Store that is the culprit.

Dec 12, 2017 6:52 PM in response to sridhar9002

It's clearly not a bug since the issue is entirely with the site being visited, so it would take an Apple feature similar to "Content Blocking" in Safari Mac to do anything about it. And I can in no way agree that Apple would be held even partially responsible from a legal standpoint for any action that a user foolishly brings on themselves for falling for such a scam.

Please use whatever method works for you to give Apple feedback as an Enhancement Request to help eliminate such things.

Dec 13, 2017 6:30 AM in response to sridhar9002

I use the browser Dolphin and I have it set to Desktop mode and it stops those pop-ups from happening on the same site.

Turning off Javascript isn't a real solution because none of the web sites I visit will even work without Javascript.

"Block pop-ups" doesn't work in Safari on iOS.

There are ad block utilities on the App Store. I haven't tried any. If anyone has positive experience, let us know. Thanks!

Dec 13, 2017 3:02 PM in response to MadMacs0

I have not experienced this until 11.1 update and now probably 70% of websites i go to give me this type of add. I also have the latest updates installed and still doing it. Fortunately I can just click back arrow and leave page but I have never experienced adds of this nature on GIPHY, Fox News, Amazon, and now Apple site. All these had the “you won” or “free spin” redirect add in last 5 days now. Was worried Phone has virus but supposedly that’s not possible if everything is up to date.

Jan 2, 2018 4:24 AM in response to MadMacs0

I was on 10.3.3 for the longest time and did not have any of these pop up problems.

I took the plunge and updated to 11.2.1 and now I am having the pop up on chrome and safari.

Would it be possible to go back to 10.3.3 or is this not an option?

I might have to resort to using the Opera Browser but I fear that it will propagate over to that app as well. I also doubt that updating to the latest IOS will do the trick either. :-/

Jan 3, 2018 6:11 AM in response to wjb2esq

wjb2esq wrote:

I just want the old horizontal keyboard back instead of the newer more improved, less keys to do actions keyboard.

Try a third party keyboard. Gboard has been suggested as a good replacement if you liked the old keyboard.

Have you learned how to use the horizontal keyboard as a trackpad? Press and hold on the keyboard and then slide your finger around. You can position the insertion point anywhere you need. It's fantastic.

Jan 8, 2018 5:29 AM in response to SEDLJD

SEDLJD wrote:

I have been having the same problem on my brand new iPhone 8+ they really need to fix this

The question is who “they” is. It isn’t Apple; Apple didn’t send the spam. A site you visited sent it, and you must have clicked or tapped on a link in that site. Now that you have it “they” is you; the instructions have already been posted in this threadIn the first reply from kappy.

Congratulations you have won an iPhone pop-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.