Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ibooks not showing up in itunes

I am having a problem with syncing books onto my iPad. When I open up iBooks it shows that I have 70 books, but when I try to sync these books onto my iPad through iTunes it only shows 10 books. The format for all these books are ePub and they were not bought through the iBooks store. I've had this problem before, but I cannot remember how I fixed it. I've tried clicking and dragging the files into iTunes, but that did not work. I can see all of the ePub files through finder home > music > itunes > itunes media > books.

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)

iBooks 1.2 (825)

iTunes 12.3.0.44

iPad Air iOS 9.0.2

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 10:30 AM

16 replies

Nov 2, 2015 2:32 AM in response to mgshoutman

I have the same issue.

I checked the epubs to Audiobooks thread but under Audiobooks none are listed. I also played with view options and column browser.

Its only the last 3 epubs as far as I can tell, they did initially appear in Ibooks on the iPad, I went to read more of the Son of the Black Sword and it went poof removed from the iPad.

Its still in my Ibooks on my mac but does not appear in iTunes to sync.

OK Adding the books to my Ibooks library and saying replace works. I think I have done this before.

Nov 3, 2015 8:25 PM in response to PaulB12

Unfortunately this is still ongoing.

On November 2nd, It added 5 books back not 3 I also in my testing added a book I brought in 2014.

The 5 books where from all purchased in the last month.

So today the books are no longer on the iPad, they are no longer in iTunes and they are no longer in Ibooks. But the book I brought in 2014 and added to the iBooks library at the exact same time is still there.

I plan to add to buy some brand new books and add them plus older ones and see what happens.

Nov 4, 2015 7:01 PM in response to MacintoshZ

I Have the same problem, but it applies to PDF files. I have added the PDF files to my MacBook iBook library, but when I try to sync with iBooks on my iPad a number of them don't so up. the sync process also removes them from my MacBook iBook library. I wish I could find a good explanation of iBook sync process ( ie who is master?) but so far no luck. Maybe just iTunes software issue?

Nov 16, 2015 10:12 PM in response to PaulB12

Still ongoing.

I have tested if somehow compression was involved, I downloaded books I had brought previously as uncompressed and added them to Ibooks, They where eventually removed.

I tested if it was something to do with newer books vs older books I downloaded books I brought over the last 10 years. They where eventually removed.

I did observe some curious behaviour today. I added 4 books to Ibooks, I then synced, the status bar said it synced all 4. they where not in iBooks for the iPad, they where in iTunes and Ibooks for Mac. I then said sync selected books and clicked 2 of the 4. They synced and appeared in Ibooks, The other 2 where not in iBooks, I then said sync all again and it remained at 2 of them 4. I then sync individually another book and it synced.

I also found that in Ibooks library, the sync i did in October I originally uploaded 13 books of which 5 where removed.. If I click in iBooks library on the 8 that did sync then they open in Ibooks, If I click on the 5 that where removed i get a temporary folder that disappears and the book does not appear in Ibooks. Yet originally these books where in Ibooks for mac+ipad and iTunes so surely its not a problem with there particular ePub.They are also immediately removed from iBooks for mac when I do this.

I believe that some point of the chain is failing and then being treated as master so on the next sync they are removed. Its possible my Ibooks simply will do this for every new book I add but I did add 1 book initially.

It seems like I can retain the books by turning off syncing but thats hardly a good long term solution. I am currently testing this

Nov 18, 2015 7:06 PM in response to PaulB12

Despite my initial problem when I though the books remained in Ibooks but where not on the iPad. It seems Ibooks for Mac is the problem.

Syncing on iTunes is off.

2 Days ago I added 4 epubs to Ibooks, New and old Larry Coreia Books, new and old Robert Conroy books.

The 2 books by Robert Conroy are still in both devices in Ibooks and itunes. The two books by Larry Coreia are only on the iPad. Note 2 other books by Larry Coreia that I added sometime in the past year are still present on both devices. I will leave things as they are for a few days to see if the Robert Conroy books remain in iBooks for mac. The books by Larry Coreia where in iBooks for mac for over 40 hours I have no idea what triggers the removal.

Short of scrapping the Library for Ibooks Mac and starting again I don't see many options. This is something I have already done twice for odd behaviour in Ibooks and it becomes tiresome. Perhaps its time to use another reader.

Nov 18, 2015 8:21 PM in response to PaulB12

PAulB12, I've tried several times to figure out the syncing iBooks issue between OSX and IOS devices, but it is never consistent. I have lost books from both platforms in trying to sync them. It has to be an iTunes software issue as I am on El Capitan for OSX. I had one occasion where it took over two hours before some books synced,but some were still missing. This happened to PDF files in iBooks as well. I have used File Manager apps and they work ok for syncing on OSX, hence my reason for pointing to iTunes as potential culprit. I did notice IOS 9 update caused my file manager app to work differently though. For now I'm giving up on iBooks sync

Oct 4, 2016 10:39 PM in response to idnem

I just had the same problem. I went into icloud on my mac and turned off then on books to no avail. However, when I upgraded to iOs 10, for some reason it never turned on books in icloud on the ipad. I went to settings>iCloud>iCloud Drive, turned on books, and they all appeared instantly. Hope this helps!

Dec 15, 2016 6:31 AM in response to MacintoshZ

Turning iBooks sync off and back on did not work for me, however I've found a work-around that hopefully helps everyone out there:

1. Make sure your settings > iCloud > iDrive > iBooks is selected ON.

2. Open iBooks, select all your books and drag them to the desktop so you have the files in a convenient place.

3. Open settings > iCloud > iDrive and deselect iBooks like everyone is saying. This should make your books disappear in iBooks.

4. Stay in IBOOKS and select File > Add to Library > select all books from Desktop and add them. This should hopefully make the books appear in iTunes in the iPad or iPhone section of iTunes, where you choose what to sync and what not to sync (the little device picture button at the top, next to the backward and forward arrows).

5. In iTunes, select the books you want to sync and sync away.

I have not tried to turn iBooks sync back on, as I dont trust it and have my books ready to roll.

Hope this helps.

Dec 29, 2016 12:57 AM in response to DavyT113

1. Make sure your settings > iCloud > iDrive > iBooks is selected ON.

2. Open iBooks, select all your books and drag them to the desktop so you have the files in a convenient place.

3. Open settings > iCloud > iDrive and deselect iBooks like everyone is saying. This should make your books disappear in iBooks.

4. Stay in IBOOKS and select File > Add to Library > select all books from Desktop and add them. This should hopefully make the books appear in iTunes in the iPad or iPhone section of iTunes, where you choose what to sync and what not to sync (the little device picture button at the top, next to the backward and forward arrows).

5. In iTunes, select the books you want to sync and sync away."

You, sir are a GODSEND. Years ago when I first started using Apple products, I did so because everything just worked without having to use a 1 inch manual. Life was good. Then somewhere, they lost the focus on that and like syncing books, things had to become next to impossible. Apple are you listening? We just want things to WORK without jumping through a million hoops/steps etc. For the LOVE OF GOD please make things just work again without making us scour the internet in the hopes of stumbling across someone who has it figured out.

ibooks not showing up in itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.