Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF issue with 10.11 Capitan

Since I have installed the latest update 10.11 El Capitan, there is an issue with orientation when using Preview or printing.

If I export to PDF or Print, it will only give me half the layout, due to incorrect orientation of the page.

I have tried changing the settings when printing, nothing seems to work.

Very frustrating, as this is my work laptop and I can no longer print plans etc.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 10:47 AM

5 replies

Oct 12, 2015 8:22 PM in response to KingWeeble

I have a similar problem, but only if the file has been cropped. If I have not cropped the file, it prints properly. It doesn't matter, however, whether the file was cropped in El Capitan or Yosemite. But if it has been cropped, it prints OK in Yosemite but chops off part of the image (in landscape) or prints it not centered on the page (in portrait) in El Capitan. It is a particular problem when printing two-up.

Oct 15, 2015 8:54 AM in response to emk.mac

Hey!

I Have the same Problem with the Programm "viewer" and the Function "cropping it out".

Bevor the Update to El Capitan it worked all right:

If i had a PDF Dokument which was an DinA4 Page, and i need an 20x26 mm cutout, i make it with the Shortcut +K.

After that, i can print the page, in that size i had cut it out before.

Now with the Update to El Capitan, it doesn't work.

If i want to print that file that i had cropped out, the Page is empty.

Then i Looked up in google, and there was in Information:

I've read that you have to save the file under the Shortcup + P then save the File under a new Name - safing as an PDF File.

I had try this, and the result was the same, such as if I would print it. It doesn't print the File with the Picture oder the Text.

The new PDF File is also empty.

The preview when you want to print it, shows like bevor the update, and i think it was all right. Bu it just seems so because it does not work unfortunately.

i think there muss a Bug in the Programm Viewer. I hope that Apple will correct this Bug quickly!

Because so i can't use the function of crop out with Viewer. And i need this almost every day 😟

Greeting vom Stuttgart in Germany

from Timo

Nov 4, 2015 4:02 PM in response to KingWeeble

I am having the same problem. I have updated my software to 10.11.1.

I have a multi page pdf, with larger than US Letter size pages (newspaper size). When I delete one of the pages and close the document, Preview automatically crops all the remaining pages.

On a pdf where pages have been deleted, and I crop one of the pages, the crop looks normal, but then when I print or close and re-open the document, the crop has moved to a different portion of the original page (including parts of the pdf that were not in the crop).

On a pdf where no pages have been deleted, and I crop one of the pages, it appears normal at first, but again, upon printing or closing and re-opening, the cropped space has moved to a different portion of the original page (the crop size/shape is the same though) and then the rest of the un-cropped pages in the pdf are also cropped (although not the same size/shape as the intended cropped area).

When Preview crops all these pages for me, it is not to a US Letter page shape, they are the same newspaper size shape as before but it looks like everything has been zoomed in (proportions restrained) to areas of the middle left side of every page (same spot). (Update: I tried the same processes on a Letter-sized pdf, all same problems occur.)

Now if I open one of these multi-page pdfs, delete some of the pages, close and re-open (weird cropping has happened) but then crop one of the pages (already weirdly cropped itself), close and re-open, the crop is as it should be.

I have tried multiple different documents, re-downloaded them and tried again, no difference in outcome.

Also note that when I try to print, the print preview window looks normal, but when it comes out of the printer it has the weird crop as shown on screen after closing and re-opening.

MacBook Pro, 15-inch, Mid 2009

Helpppppp

Dec 1, 2015 9:02 AM in response to KingWeeble

I am having a related problem which I describe in detail at Something has changed in El Capitan printing

I'm trying to print two-up booklet pages (as they are) and El Capitan appears to scale the pages down to fit into a landscape (US letter) page with what looks like one inch borders. The scaling is shown in both the Print Preview page and if you print to a pdf. I cannot get anything to print in the border space. I've tried Word, Preview and Acrobat Reader. They all scale the print image. If you rescale it back to 100%, the images are cropped.

This seems pretty elementary and Apple should have spotted it before release. I think it came with El Capitan as it worked fine with Yosemite.

Note that the linked discussion above says it is resolved, but it is not. I screwed up somehow and can't undo it (or don't know how).

PDF issue with 10.11 Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.