Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan broke Adobe Bridge CS6/Photo downloader

As Photos makes no distinction between RAW and JPG (I shoot in both), I changed my workflow to first download all images from my camera to an external HD, using Adobe Bridge CS6/Photo downloader. I then separate the RAWs (CR2 files from my EOS 7D) from the JPGs and import the JPGs into Photos, just for quick viewing, etc. Serious postprocessing will be done starting from the RAWs using a RAW converter of choice. That can be Adobe Camera RAW, between Bridge and Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 6.1.1 (I have not yet updated to 6.2, because the import function has been revised), DxO OP10, or even Aperture 3.6 which still functions as designed.

Any way, great was my surprise when I quickly made a few shots yesterday, and wanted to upload (through Bridge CS6/Get Photos from Camera) so I could start working on them. My EOS 7D was not detected:

User uploaded file

I tried my iPhone, but that was not detected either.

I know there are alternatives: Image Capture had no issue, neither was the use of a card reader in combination with the same Adobe Bridge a problem.

Or even the Canon software (EOS Utility). Or Lightroom 6.1.1, that also found my camera immediately.

But I wanted to know where the problem exactly was. As I had made a full clone before upgrading from Yosemite 10.10.5 to El Capitan 10.11, I could easily reboot in Yosemite, and try the same. Guess what: no problem at all:

User uploaded file

I have reported this to Adobe (Photoshop Family), but wanted to report it here as well.

If any expert has any ideas, please shoot. I know of many alternatives, but it would be nicer if my camera was detected again.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 5:52 AM

29 replies

Oct 21, 2015 2:00 AM in response to lescornwell

I noticed that when connecting my iphone. Nothing detected on Photo Downloader.

Then tried to insert a SD card on my macbook and it worked... so it is indeed a USB camera thing, not Card thing.

Of course image capture works but Downloader is way more flexible as it renames and separates by shot date folders and so on...

ANNOYED

Nov 22, 2015 1:28 AM in response to alexaswell

I have already reported that in my first post: Adobe Bridge/Photo Downloader detects neither my EOS 7D (or any other EOS in my possession), nor my iPhone 4s. The discussion is still going on at Adobe as well:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/bridge-no-longer-detects-c anon-5d-cameras?utm_source=notification&…

It looks like Adobe and Apple still need to exchange information to solve this. According to Adobe, Apple changed the protocol for connecting devices with El Capitan.

Nov 22, 2015 6:20 AM in response to lescornwell

Don't expect Adobe to do anything with CS6 as they want to suck everyone into

their "ball and chain" Creative Cloud software rental!!!!!!!

As for me, trying to find an alternative to Bridge and eventually find reasonable

alternative to Photoshop (even if it takes a couple apps) and cast all of Adobe to

the wind. Photos is just to "hokey" as a solution.

Nov 22, 2015 11:13 AM in response to woodmeister50

No CC for me either. It's a pity Aperture is discontinued, almost forcing us to move towards Lightroom. I have bought LR6 (so not CC), but am also testing and using a couple of decent alternatives, such as DxO Optics Pro.

But the Adobe Photo Downloader needs to be fixed, and somehow it has to do with some cooperation between Adobe and Apple.

Nov 24, 2015 3:34 PM in response to lescornwell

Adobe has discovered that Bridge CC with Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan) doesn't work with many USB devices to import images (iPhone included): https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/bridge-and-el-capitan.html

Apple has stated: "The USB stack is completely redesigned to increase stability and performance compared to Mac OS 10.10. Applications and third-party drivers for vendor-specific USB devices may require modification."

This is something APPLE changed, that hopefully Adobe can respond to, for now there is no real fix. I use this workaround:

• Import the images with Apple's Photos app

Choose File > Export > Export Unmodified Original

• Save the files where you want them
  • Batch rename the images and add MetaData in Adobe Bridge

There is a workaround for some Android-based devices, you can change the device mode from PTP/MTP to USB mode/Mass storage mode (see instructions on how to do this from your device vendor). This article on the same issue with Photoshop Elements has instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/elements-organizer/kb/elements-organizer-does-not-recogn ize-some-devices---mac-os-10-1.html

Nov 25, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Kelly McCathran

As Photos makes no distinction between RAW files and JPGs, and I shoot in both, I stay away from Photos for importing from camera.

Previously, I used Adobe Bridge CS6/Photo Downloader to get my files from the camera, now I have switched to Image Capture. I download both file types to an external HD, split RAWs and JPGs into separate folders, and then will import the JPGs (mainly for viewing, never for any serious post-processing) into Photos. The RAWs remain on the ext.HD and can be processed with different programs, but I do not want them go into Photos.

El Capitan broke Adobe Bridge CS6/Photo downloader

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.