Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe Flash Player For Mac changing settings on its own!

After I updated to El Capitan on my MacBook Pro the newest Adobe Flash Player ( NPAPI-Plug-In-Version 19.0.0.185 ) is automatically and secretly changing its

preference settings ( Security Settings for example : No camera etc. ). This happens whenever I use my Safari browser.

Are the Apple technicians aware of this security problem with Adobe Flash Player for Mac?

MacBook Pro, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 2:12 PM

17 replies

Feb 27, 2017 8:00 AM in response to BacktoMicrosoft!

I've been seeing the exact same thing with Adobe Flash Player and the Safari browser since updating to Mac osx El Capitan. I had no idea that by deleting the locally stored data, Safari>Clear History>Clear History, that it's been the cause of Adobe Flash Player's settings to revert to their defaults. I've been scratching my head over this for a long time now, and it still persists. So, I've been checking and often resetting the Flash Player settings back to my preferences multiple times a day, because I do regularly delete all the history, cookies, etc. during and after using the Safari browser.

I posted this issue on Adobe's forum site some months ago, listing it as a bug in previous Flash Player versions. One of the forum moderators at Adobe pushed it on to the Flash Player developers. So, when the latest Flash version came out, 24.0.0.221 I had high hopes the issue would be resolved, but it has not been.

So, is it a problem within Safari or Flash, or both?

Whichever it is, it seems to me Apple and Adobe need to collaborate on fixing this ongoing problem. Despite the fact that Apple would like to see Flash Player disappear forever (because it is so hackable and therefore a security issue), many of us that watch videos online, require Flash Player to make many of them play. There's no excuse for this to still be happening.

Note to Apple: Mac users still need Java, Javascript, and Flash Player, for many reasons, not just for video playing, and likely will continue to do so for a long time.

Feb 27, 2017 10:06 AM in response to Eric Root

Yes Eric, I know Apple doesn't read these forums. I was just being cheeky. 😝

Thanks for the feedback link though. I already had it booked marked, but hadn't reported it just yet. Will do so over my lunch break.

All that is for others who are having the same issue though to know what to do, and now you have also provided how to send them feedback. Well appreciated!

You're a champ here.

Oct 10, 2015 9:52 AM in response to Linc Davis

Dear Lync Davis,

Thank you for the tip. I do this every time I have ended a Safari session and before I use Clean My Mac 3.

Every time that I log into Safari all of my Flash Player security settings are change without my consent. This

is a major security problem which has first appeared with El Capitan. I am forced to reset the security setting in

Flash Player every time that I use Safari, however it does little good because soon after the settings are back to

a position where Adobe can do as it likes without my permission. This is a can of worms!!!

Oct 10, 2015 10:23 AM in response to BacktoMicrosoft!

A

Back up all data before proceeding.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default. If you've intentionally set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it, but you do need to follow the instructions below.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Triple-click anywhere in the following line on this page to select it:

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags -h nouchg,nouappnd,noschg,nosappnd {} + -exec chown -h $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -h -N {} + -type d -exec chmod -h +x {} + 2>&-

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if you prefer not to take it, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open. In that window, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

B

"CleanMyMac" is a scam and a common cause of instability and poor performance. Depending on what version you have, the developer's instructions may not completely remove it. Follow those instructions, then do as below.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2.Agent.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder may open with an item selected. If it does, move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password.

Repeat with this line:

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2.Agent

Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

You may also have to remove one or more of these items in the same way:

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac.helperTool.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac.volumeWatcher.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac3.Scheduler.plist

Never again install "CleanMyMac" or anything like it.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Oct 10, 2015 11:58 AM in response to Linc Davis

Dear Linc Davis,

Thank you for putting so much effort into helping me and possibly others with this problem. I first of all tried your suggestion

with Step 1. It did not help. I then tried Step 2. It did not work with respect to this Adobe Flash Problem either.

I am a German and using the German version of El Capitan. I took a long look at the preferences in the Adobe Flash Player for

Mac. I discovered that it is reacting differently than it use to with Yosemite. When I attempt to delete locally saved data then the

default setting is marked for also removing my saved preferences. This check mark now has to be removed first which was not the case

before. Then just the lower check box needs to be clicked in order to remove locally stored license data etc.

I believe that is the basic problem that I was faced with. It is basically difficult to explain in English, however I hope that you understand what the problem seemed to be. I will think about your advice with respect to Clean My Mac 3. Up to this point I have had favorable experiences with the software in

combination with INTEGO for internet security etc.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Oct 10, 2015 12:22 PM in response to BacktoMicrosoft!

Edit to my reply:

I have just discovered that the problem occurs whenever I remove locally stored data with the Safari preferences. It also changes the preference settings

back to a default setting in Flash Player as well - which does not automatically protect the user from data being stored with Adobe Flash Player or cameras and microphones being used. By using the Safari cookie removing preferences etc. then for some strange reason the user settings in Adobe Flash Player for Mac are also reset to the original default setting. It is much worse than I originally thought.

Oct 11, 2015 3:36 AM in response to Linc Davis

I have discovered today that the problem is as I originally stated. When I use Safari all Adobe Flash Player user preferences are reset

to default without my permission. This only began with El Capitan. I have deactivated but not deinstalled Adobe Flash Player in my

Safari security preferences until a newer version of Adobe Flash Player appears. Perhaps this is a problem only for the German users.

Regards,

Nov 3, 2015 2:21 PM in response to MmmBook

Dear MmmBook,

Thanks for the feedback for everyone. I tried a few of the above suggestions and also took the advice of Linc Davis and

deleted CleanMyMac3. The support for CleanMyMac3 turned out to be simply rotten.

I not only deactivated Adobe Flash Player for Mac but also finally deleted it. I simply got fed

up with all the problems it was causing me. Everything has been working fine without it.

Adobe Flash Player For Mac changing settings on its own!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.