Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Becker map pilot

I have a Becker Map Pilot Navigation system for my Mercedes. I update the system using a USB lead. I have never had problems with updates before, however since I updated to El Capitan when I connect my Map Pilot to my Mac it says it does not recognise 'The Disc' and offers to 'ignore, eject or initialise'. When I open the software 'Content Manager' that it uses the Map Pilot (disc) is not visible. I contact Becker who tell me that the increase security within El Capitan is the cause but they do not yet have a work around. I have tried turning off my Firewall and 'allowing all apps' without success, anyone any idea please!!!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), null

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Jan 16, 2016 5:56 PM in response to Dob1811 In response to Dob1811

Hi Dob1811, I sent the following email, will post their response.

Hi,

I’ve recently purchased a Mercedes A class that came with Becker navigation. I’ve downloaded and installed the content manager and when I try and use it the software does not detect the Becker device.

I have read on forums that there is a compatibility issue with the latest version of OS X (El Capitan). Is there a work around and when will this issue be fixed.

Kind Regards,

David.

link to forum - https://discussions.apple.com/message/29634605

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Jan 8, 2016 8:39 AM in response to del5662009 In response to del5662009

I've got exactly this problem and also a response from Backer to the effect that they are still waiting for APPLE to sort. We are now in Jan 16 and this problem has existed since Oct 15....3 - 4 Months...

"OS El Capitan is having trouble detecting the Map Pilot as well as other devices.

An Apple update should solve soon the problem.

We will contact you as soon as a solution to this issue arises.

If possible, try using another computer or contact your Mercedes Benz Dealer for support.

With best regards

MapPilot Support Team"

Is there going to be a solution? or do I go out to buy a PC!

Jan 8, 2016 8:39 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jan 8, 2016 8:45 AM in response to Dob1811 In response to Dob1811

Dob1811 wrote:

I've got exactly this problem and also a response from Backer to the effect that they are still waiting for APPLE to sort. We are now in Jan 16 and this problem has existed since Oct 15....3 - 4 Months...

"OS El Capitan is having trouble detecting the Map Pilot as well as other devices.

If possible, try using another computer or contact your Mercedes Benz Dealer for support.

With best regards

MapPilot Support Team"

Is there going to be a solution? or do I go out to buy a PC!

Nothing like passing the buck is there? If a third party device/software does not work with an operating system it is up to the device/software manufacturer to create drivers to make the device/software work. Apple can not possibly know or manage all the thousands of devices/software that may connect to their operating system. So as with all OS developers Apple releases the API for upcoming OS so that device/software manufacturers can produce drivers concurrently with OS releases. If a manufacturer chooses not to support a specific OS, Apple has no control over that decision by the manufacturer.

Jan 8, 2016 8:45 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Jan 16, 2016 4:05 AM in response to DAMonty In response to DAMonty

DAMonty

I did, but is wasn't a solution!

"Dear Customer,

thank you for your request:

With best regards

MapPilot Support Team"

I will of course publish the solution as soon as I have it. Maybe you could also complain to Becker, along with anyone else with this problem. The more complaints they have the more rapid the solution may be!

If I don't receive a reply from them shortly, I will go directly to Mercedes and ask them to install the updates!

Thanks

Jan 16, 2016 4:05 AM

Reply Helpful (4)

Jan 16, 2016 8:42 AM in response to Lanny In response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

My experience with the Becker MapPilot is that they don't have a Mac version of the updater. So, I'm unclear on how you were ever able to do it before. I always had to do it using Windows.

Incorrect. Mac support has been there since the very beginning of the Navi series. The latest can be downloaded at the download site of the manufacturer.

Leo

Jan 16, 2016 8:42 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 16, 2016 12:05 PM in response to Lanny In response to Lanny

1. When we bought for my wife her previous C class beginning of 2011, we were already able to update that immediately.

2. Normally I dont, but I posted the direct link on the site as I am not sure that you can follow German, the only part of the site known to me.

Have a nice weekend

Leo

Jan 16, 2016 12:05 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Jan 16, 2016 5:56 PM in response to Dob1811 In response to Dob1811

Hi Dob1811, I sent the following email, will post their response.

Hi,

I’ve recently purchased a Mercedes A class that came with Becker navigation. I’ve downloaded and installed the content manager and when I try and use it the software does not detect the Becker device.

I have read on forums that there is a compatibility issue with the latest version of OS X (El Capitan). Is there a work around and when will this issue be fixed.

Kind Regards,

David.

link to forum - https://discussions.apple.com/message/29634605

Jan 16, 2016 5:56 PM

Reply Helpful (18)

Jan 19, 2016 1:52 AM in response to DAMonty In response to DAMonty

Here is the response. Pretty disappointing, essentially they are saying the Apple is responsible for the issue.

On 18 Jan 2016, at 8:43 PM, Becker MAPPILOT Service <service@beckermappilot.com> wrote:

Dear Customer,
thank you for your request:

OS El Capitan is having trouble detecting the Map Pilot as well as other devices.

If possible, try updating using another computer (OS) or contact for support your Mercedes Benz Dealer.

To get your Map Pilot recognized please try the following steps:
On the Map Pilot (already disconnected safely from your computer)

Press the Reset button at the side of the device. Wait five minutes for the system to boot up.

On the COMPUTER:
  • Disconnect temporally Antivirus programs from the computer. They tend to obstruct the download of the software or the detection of the Map Pilot. Relax the security settings on the computer.
  • For Mac computer adjust please the Security & Privacy Setup to allow Apps/Software downloaded from anywhere. OS El Capitan is currently not detecting the Map Pilot.
  • For Windows 8.1 you might need to connect the Map Pilot before the computer is boot up.
  • Start the program Content Manager and connect the Map Pilot when the program ask you to; the recognition of the device can take 4-5 minutes.
  • If still nothing happens, please try to use a different USB-cable/ USB-port. Sometimes a Power USB-Hub also helps
  • Used if possible another computer
  • Check if the computer detect now the Map Pilot as an external drive : Becker MP.
  • If the program still doesn`t detect the device, press gently the reset button again, with the Map Pilot still plugged to the computer, and wait several minutes.

If still the Map Pilot is not detected, take out the battery (Slider backside) and wait at least 2 hours before putting them back and trying again.

We hope, now the device will be detected.

Jan 19, 2016 1:52 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: del5662009

Question: Becker map pilot