Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Becker map pilot

I have a Becker Map Pilot Navigation system for my Mercedes. I update the system using a USB lead. I have never had problems with updates before, however since I updated to El Capitan when I connect my Map Pilot to my Mac it says it does not recognise 'The Disc' and offers to 'ignore, eject or initialise'. When I open the software 'Content Manager' that it uses the Map Pilot (disc) is not visible. I contact Becker who tell me that the increase security within El Capitan is the cause but they do not yet have a work around. I have tried turning off my Firewall and 'allowing all apps' without success, anyone any idea please!!!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), null

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 1:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2017 5:44 AM

Just managed to get the system running on Sierra. You need to update the Firmware of the Becker Module via a Windows PC to version R24 then you can safely connect to the MacOS Sierra (and they say El Capitan) to update software and update maps.

30 replies

Aug 22, 2017 2:00 PM in response to DAMonty

This issue has obviously been bouncing around Becker for a while now. And the several hours I spent screwing around with the update this morning felt like the 1980's all over again: here's their response to my query. Bottom line, they have not yet figured out/taken the time to figure out how to make their devices and software compatible, not just with El Capitan but with earlier versions of the OS...

Dear Mrs Capek,

thank you for your request:

You have opened a support ticket with your email.

To get your Map Pilot recognized on your PC, please try the following steps:

On the Map Pilot (already disconnected safely from your computer)

Press the Reset button at the side of the device. Wait five minutes for the system to boot up.

On the PC:

Temporarily disable any Antivirus programs from the computer. They tend to obstruct the download of the software or the detection of the Map Pilot. Additionally, relax the security settings on the computer.

For Mac systems, adjust the Security & Privacy Setup to allow Apps/Software downloaded from anywhere. OS versions El Capitan, Sierra and newer are currently not detecting the Map Pilot.

For Windows 8.1 and newer, you might need to connect the Map Pilot before the computer is booted up.

Start the Content Manager and connect the Map Pilot when prompted to do so. The recognition of the device can take 4-5 minutes.

Check whether the computer detects the Map Pilot as an external drive : Becker MP.

If the program still does not detect the device, gently press the reset button again, with the Map Pilot still plugged in to the computer, and wait several minutes.

If the Map Pilot is still not detected, take out the battery (Slider on the backside) and wait at least 2 hours before putting it back and trying again.

If still nothing happens, please try to use a different USB-cable/USB-port. Sometimes, a powered USB-Hub also helps.

If possible, test the Map Pilot connection, using a different computer.

With best regards

MapPilot Support Team

If you are responding to an email, please always use the "reply" function of your email program.

21/08/2017 21:10 - mecapek@me.com wrote:

MRS Mary Ellen Capek
United states of America

Hi there, Im trying to update our Sprinter Map Pilot. I successfully installed the
GPS two years ago, but now when I go back to update, my computer isn't recognizing
the device. Am trying to call your tech support, and it says to open a "support
ticket" but not clear where/how to do that.

Aug 23, 2017 12:05 AM in response to Dob1811

This is nonsense. If you can't make a product compatible with current technology you need to be in another business. Like trucking.
Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 23, 2017, at 12:48 AM, Becker MAPPILOT Service < service@beckermappilot.com> wrote:
Dear Mr. Capek,
thank you for your answer. We are sorry for your problem with our product. However, only the older Map Pilots cant be detected on newer Mac OS versions. For the newer ones you only need to update your device a single time on another PC which does no have the newer Mac OS versions. The important part is only to update the firmware of the Becker Map Pilot.
To give you a little insight and to make our point of view a little bit more clear: In the newer versions of the OS, Apple changed their USB drivers. That affected a lot of USB devices, including our products. However, we provided a firmware update for that case, but in order to get that, we have to ask the customers to download them for a single time on another OS.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards
MapPilot Support Team

Jan 8, 2016 8:39 AM in response to del5662009

I've got exactly this problem and also a response from Backer to the effect that they are still waiting for APPLE to sort. We are now in Jan 16 and this problem has existed since Oct 15....3 - 4 Months...

"OS El Capitan is having trouble detecting the Map Pilot as well as other devices.

An Apple update should solve soon the problem.

We will contact you as soon as a solution to this issue arises.

If possible, try using another computer or contact your Mercedes Benz Dealer for support.

With best regards

MapPilot Support Team"

Is there going to be a solution? or do I go out to buy a PC!

Jan 8, 2016 8:45 AM in response to Dob1811

Dob1811 wrote:

I've got exactly this problem and also a response from Backer to the effect that they are still waiting for APPLE to sort. We are now in Jan 16 and this problem has existed since Oct 15....3 - 4 Months...

"OS El Capitan is having trouble detecting the Map Pilot as well as other devices.

An Apple update should solve soon the problem.

If possible, try using another computer or contact your Mercedes Benz Dealer for support.

With best regards

MapPilot Support Team"

Is there going to be a solution? or do I go out to buy a PC!

Nothing like passing the buck is there? If a third party device/software does not work with an operating system it is up to the device/software manufacturer to create drivers to make the device/software work. Apple can not possibly know or manage all the thousands of devices/software that may connect to their operating system. So as with all OS developers Apple releases the API for upcoming OS so that device/software manufacturers can produce drivers concurrently with OS releases. If a manufacturer chooses not to support a specific OS, Apple has no control over that decision by the manufacturer.

Jan 16, 2016 4:05 AM in response to DAMonty

DAMonty

I did, but is wasn't a solution!

"Dear Customer,

thank you for your request:

With best regards

MapPilot Support Team"

I will of course publish the solution as soon as I have it. Maybe you could also complain to Becker, along with anyone else with this problem. The more complaints they have the more rapid the solution may be!

If I don't receive a reply from them shortly, I will go directly to Mercedes and ask them to install the updates!

Thanks

Jan 16, 2016 8:42 AM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

My experience with the Becker MapPilot is that they don't have a Mac version of the updater. So, I'm unclear on how you were ever able to do it before. I always had to do it using Windows.

Incorrect. Mac support has been there since the very beginning of the Navi series. The latest can be downloaded at the download site of the manufacturer.

Leo

Becker map pilot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.