Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t add card to Apple Pay

Going through settings or through the Wallet App, I keep getting the message when I tap "Add Credit or Debit Card". It says "Could not add card, try again later or contact your card issuer for more information".

This is on an iPhone 6 Plus that was formerly my phone that I've now switched over to my wife. We are setup with as Family members on iCloud which is tied to a Visa debit card. My wife is using her own iCloud ID on the phone, and I want to setup her Visa debit card to Apple Pay which is tied to the same bank account.

I've tried everything I can think of for the last two days and can't get passed that message.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 6:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 12:20 PM

I had the exact same problem. Here's a simple trick that finally worked for me. Go into settings > Touch ID and Passcode and turn Passcode off. Exit and open wallet. Go to add card and it will prompt you to turn Passcode back on. Do it through the prompts. When you go back you will now be able to add a card. Hope it works!

52 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 15, 2015 12:20 PM in response to EDL2

I had the exact same problem. Here's a simple trick that finally worked for me. Go into settings > Touch ID and Passcode and turn Passcode off. Exit and open wallet. Go to add card and it will prompt you to turn Passcode back on. Do it through the prompts. When you go back you will now be able to add a card. Hope it works!

Oct 30, 2015 6:43 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Contacting the card issuer is not an answer in this case. I've had the same problem, but I don't even get to a page where any information about my card can be filled in. Immediately after tapping on "Add Debit or Credit Card" I get the notice "Could Not Add Card. Try again later or contact your card issuer for more information." I don't even get a chance to enter any data. My software is iOS 9.1 and I'm told it is "up-to-date" when I inquire.

Other thoughts? It's clearly some type of bug or incompatibility.

Oct 21, 2015 6:47 PM in response to EDL2

Im having the same problem. I thought it was my old phone and just got a new one today. And SAME PROBLEM!!!! And to make matters more confusing. When i add The Very Same Card to my wife phone, It adds it! I can add my debit card to her phone. I can add my credit card to her phone. all her cards. No problem. But my phone.... no matter what card i try to add they all say the same thing. "Card not added please contact card issuer or try again later"

I don't know what to do. Its a brand new iPhone 6S and hers is a brand new iPhone 6s. Got them both today. hers works mine docent. and we both had the iPhone 6 plus before (Too big for us) and had the same issue. hers worked. mine didn't.

Apr 5, 2017 4:20 PM in response to EDL2

I had a Wells Fargo Visa Debit card that I could not load after I restored my iPhone 7 plus from a backup. I called Apple and they said it was Wells Fargo. Wells Fargo said it was Apple. I called Apple back and they then said to contact Visa. You can't contact Visa about Apple Pay issues!

So I then set about trying one thing after another. I got a new Visa debit card with the same card number but with a different expiration date and security code. It didn't work. I then got a new Visa debit card with a new card number. It didn't work. I upgraded to 10.3.1. It didn't work. I restored from my backup again after upgrading to 10.3.1. It didn't work. I hit upon trying to the idea of trying to "Set Up as New iPhone" while searching the internet. In the Apple Support page that guides you through this process it mentions selecting this option in the "Apps and Data" screen. However to get to that screen you have to go to "Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings" in your iPhone. After doing this, I was able to, at last, reload my Wells Fargo Visa Debit card. I then unloaded it thinking that this would reset the "Wallet" to accept the card again after I reloaded from my backup again. It didn't work. So I tried to do the same thing again but this time leave the card loaded in the "Wallet" and reload my backup. It didn't work.

Finally, I thought about why I could reload my card after I reset my iPhone by erasing all content and settings. It dawned on me that the "Wallet" settings are somehow corrupted when you restore from a backup. So I decided to try and "Reset All Settings" instead of "Erase All Content and Settings." Low and behold it worked! Granted, I had to go back through and reenter my settings but all of my "Content" was exactly as I had had it previously. This included the screen layout, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Music, Messages, Mail, everything that was really important and I now can once again use Apple Pay!

It would be nice if Apple would add a "Reset Wallet" option so that you wouldn't loose your other settings but I'll take the later rather than replacing my iPhone or switching banks!

Oct 11, 2015 7:26 AM in response to EDL2

Hi

Family Sharing should not affect the ability to add the card to Apple Pay.

Try these steps:

- Check that the billing address for the card in the iTunes Store is exactly the same as the registered billing address for the credit card.

- Close all open apps (including Wallet and Settings) by double-pressing the Home button and swiping up on each of the app previews.

- Then force restart your iPhone: press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home button for around 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

When adding the card, check that you have Touch ID or a passcode set up and that you follow the steps here:

Set up and use Apple Pay on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Apr 5, 2017 2:36 AM in response to EDL2

I have had the exact problem as you on my new iPhone 7. I did as you said and was persistent and it paid off. It finally came back with the amount of purchase was $1,297.00. There was the issue, the last number of the credit card! I denied the authenticate and went back to iTunes and purchased the song for $1.29. I didn't have &1,297.00 on my account and thank goodness.

Nov 6, 2015 6:15 PM in response to EDL2

I don't know if this would be any help but I guess I can chime in here.

I did a backup restore through iTunes today for a problem with my notifications sounds and when it was time to re-add my cards back to wallet/apple pay, I received the "could not add card..." I tried turning off and on iCloud, toggled wallet/Apple pay switches through privacy, etc. and yet the problem still remained. Also, I received e-mails from all my card issuers that the respective virtual cards were deleted from my account.

After an hour or so with AppleCare, we were unable to resolve the issue after several resets on the phone, including a network reset setting, hard reset, and so on.

***What worked for me was either:

A. Waiting the appropriate amount of time, or

B. SIMPLY TURNING ON AND OFF (RESETTING) PASSCODE. It was the one thing I missed when I was thinking of what could possibly be associated with wallet/Apple pay that I overlooked resetting.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Jan 19, 2016 12:55 AM in response to mosinter

HI Mosinter, i was having this problem right at the start of adding a new card but before I even got to scanning the card. I tried most of the previous suggestions apart from a restore from backup none of which worked until I tried your fix. "Ta da" it worked. To repeat what I actually did:

Settings --> Touch ID & Passcode

Enter current passcode

'Turn Passcode Off" (Note this will de-register any other cards you have got set up on that device, if any)

Goto Wallet

+ Apple Pay to add new card

You will now be prompted to set a passcode which is a mandatory requirement for Apple Pay

With a passcode set you should now be able to continue to register your contactless enabled card with Apple Pay

Can’t add card to Apple Pay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.