Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi ! Is iPhotos app also for iMac ?

Please help.

Thanks a bunch.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 1:09 PM

19 replies

Oct 12, 2015 1:16 PM in response to babowa

Hi Babowa,

When I bought my iMac a month ago, it came with OS Yosemite. iPhotos worked OK.

A few days ago, the OS was was updated to OS El Capitan, which comes with the new Photos application. The result of this update is that the iPhotos, although I see it in my applications, does not work anymore; Only the new Photos app does work. My question is: Is this normal or should both work ?

Thanks in advance for replying and any additional comment is most welcome and appreciated.

Jacques

Oct 12, 2015 2:34 PM in response to Jacquesganty

I have iPhoto version 9.6.1

As a test launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

If the test library will open and run OK you'll need to repair your current iPhoto Library as follows:

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down to open the First Aid window. Be sure to follow the circled recommendation in the screenshot.

User uploaded file

2 - apply Option #4, Rebuild Database.

User uploaded file

Oct 12, 2015 5:07 PM in response to Jacquesganty

By any chance when you installed El Capitan (BTW the new Photos app was introduced with Yosemite, not El Capitan) and opened the Photos app did you get a message asking if you wished to convert your old iPhotos Library to the new Photos app? (Don't remember if this occurs during the operating system install/update or the first time you open the Photos app.) Because once that conversion takes place, iPhoto can no longer open the new version - unless you kept the original library.

Oct 13, 2015 7:32 AM in response to Jacquesganty

Jacquesganty wrote:

Nope, did not get that message as far as I can remember. Should I forget iPhotos and stay with Photos from El Capitan that seems to work? An simply I DELETE or uninstall iPhoto ?

Thanks for taking this burden with this issue.

Since iPhoto as been made extinct, forget it and focus on Photos.

To delete iPhoto, simply drag to trash and empty (may get prompted for

a password to complete).

Hi ! Is iPhotos app also for iMac ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.