Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Another issue with aliases on 3.2.1

I want to use aliases of Ivory Grand Pianos to avoid loading multiple instances.

I want to add different, unique effects to the patches that use those aliases.

So here's what I"m doing... (I'm using Ivory... but the same issue happens with any instrument I try)

1. Starting with the Keyboard Minimalist. Delete the default Electric Piano and the Aux channels.
  2. Create a new patch to use as the "main" instance of Ivory, and create an Aux bus. Assign the output of the Ivory channel strip to the Aux bus and mute that Aux bus so that it doesn't sound when I paste the alias into a new patch.
  3. Copy the Ivory channel strip
  4. Create a new patch and paste in Ivory as an alias.
  5. Create an Aux bus and assign its input as the same Aux bus as the Ivory output... Now we can hear the piano when we play.
  6. Add an effect to this Aux bus. Something easy to hear, like a delay.
  7. Now create another new patch and paste in the Ivory channel strip as an alias.
  8. Create an Aux bus with its input set to the Ivory output. We can hear it now. No effect on this patch.
  9. Switch back to the patch with the delay and play. Works great. Until...
  10. Switch back to the dry patch and play. It still plays with the delay effect for about 5 seconds before the dry patch kicks in.

Can anyone suggest a better way to use aliases to the same instrument in multiple patches with different effects in each patch?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Mainstage 3

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 8:37 PM

4 replies

Oct 12, 2015 10:12 AM in response to legodo

Hi Legodo,

I read that thread. It doesn't seem to be describing the same issue that I am seeing. But it does appear that there are multiple issues with aliases.

In my case, I find that I can switch to from the un-effected to the effected patch without any delay, but when I try to switch back from the effected patch to the non-effected patch it takes about 5 seconds for the change to take effect... even if I switch to a 3rd, unrelated patch in between.

Another issue with aliases on 3.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.