Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can´t install Capitan

Hello

I Have Lion OSX on my macbook pro late 2011 and after downloading El Capitan from the app store and trying to install it I get the same error over and over again, it can´t verify or repair my macintosh HDD and needs to restart. I have to reboot and use cmd+R to come back to lion otherwise i would be stuck on this loop

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 9:26 AM

3 replies

Oct 13, 2015 7:39 AM in response to TiagoCC

Do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Reboot normally and try the El Capitan installation again.

Oct 14, 2015 8:33 AM in response to TiagoCC

Do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Then re-install the OS.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

When you reboot, use Setup Assistant to restore your data.

Can´t install Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.