Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Magic Mouse 2 with Yosemite doesn't work...

So I bought the MM2 yesterday and using it with Yosemite (10.10.5). I noticed in the Mouse Preferences that all the features available with the original Magic Mouse are gone. See pics below. One is the MM and the other MM2.

Am I missing something here or is the MM2 only capable of working with El Capitan?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 14, 2015 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2015 10:37 AM

Sadly, Apple does state it is compatible onky with El Capitan, which I beleive is very short sighted.

System Requirements Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer with OS X v10.11 or later

31 replies

Oct 15, 2015 7:41 PM in response to Imagine

I also thought it would work with Yosemite out of the box. Similar issue with the new keyboard. Thats what I get for jumping on the Apple accessories wagon too early. I can't update yet due to warnings from pro audio developers. I'll have to return them. Fortunately, the return is at no cost, and my tax is also refunded. My only true loss is the excitement and time it will take to repack + drop off. 😟

Oct 16, 2015 11:01 AM in response to Imagine

Apple has always pushed you to have the latest & greatest for everything to work together, but crippling their new hardware to the extent of making it much less useable than the old hardware, unless you're on the very latest version of the OS, is just a slap in the face to their customers. I can understand not enabling new features of the new hardware on the old OS, but to disable something as elementary as scrolling?! Wow. I really wish the alternatives were better, because Apple has been having a lot of fails lately, and it's making it harder to keep supporting them.

Oct 19, 2015 10:06 AM in response to wbaetz

Actually, I'm having second thought about returning. I know my software's developers will eventually update accordingly. So its a matter of putting the trackpad and keyboard on the shelf for 6 months or so. I already have the shipping label, but the difficulty of getting to the post office with my schedule may be the deciding factor 😐.

Oct 19, 2015 2:25 PM in response to Jay Blongz

There is an Apple Store where I live, so I did return them yesterday, no re-stocking fee. They did ask why and when I mentioned that I was using Yosemite, they acknowledged that to be a legitimate cause for return. My guess is I'm not the only one that will make that mistake.

I may get them later on when I do update to El Capitan, but that won't be until probably after WWDC next year.

Oct 22, 2015 2:11 PM in response to wbaetz

Before buying the mouse I explicitly asked if it would work with Yosemite at the Apple Store (Rideau Centre, Ottawa, Canada) and was told of course it would. (I'm going to migrate to El Capitan next week so hopefully it will work then.) I should have read the box that says it needs 10.11 or later...

An interesting phenomena...after trying to get it to work, the microsoft mouse I am using now has had its scrolling reverse. Up is down and down is up. Strange effect. But the Magic Mouse 2 is supposed to replace that mouse.

Oct 22, 2015 3:42 PM in response to capital fellow

An interesting phenomena...after trying to get it to work, the microsoft mouse I am using now has had its scrolling reverse. Up is down and down is up. Strange effect. But the Magic Mouse 2 is supposed to replace that mouse.

That's because touch surfaces (trackpad, MM top) in Apple use "natural scrolling" by default, you sort of drag the content – which happens to be the reverse to mouse wheel.

Using Magic Mouse 2 with Yosemite doesn't work...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.