Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't disable Magic Mouse 2 scrolling

Hi,

my new Magic Mouse 2 is working fine on my venerable 2008 MacPro Octo with El Capitan installed. I cannot, however, turn off scrolling in the 'Accessibility' preferences. The tick box that used to be there under 'Mouse/Trackpad - Mouse Options...' is not visible. It becomes visible when I reconnect my old MM, but even then the setting doesn't seem to stick to the MM2. Anybody else observing this problem ?

Regards, Steven

Posted on Oct 16, 2015 8:05 AM

28 replies

May 16, 2017 1:28 AM in response to QuadraS

Yes, I am using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop and the pasteboard is swinging all over the place! Inertia scrolling and zooming when I'm trying to work on a subject.

With El Capitan 10.11.6 there isn't an option to fix it in System Preferences – Accessibility – Mouse & Trackpad....

So, try this. Go to: Applications – Utilities (command, Shift, U is shortcut to the Applications – Utilities folder), scroll down to 'Terminal', double click it and copy and paste this code into the folder:

defaults write com.apple.AppleMultitouchMouse MouseMomentumScroll -bool NO

You might need to enter your password to make it 'stick' in there.

Once done. close down and restart the Mac. when back up, switch off MM2 and then switch the mouse back on.

It worked for me, and I can stop swearing at the mouse when using Illustrator and Photoshop, although scrolling is now a bit sluggish and 'sticky' when browsing.

Stuvie

Oct 19, 2015 2:33 AM in response to QuadraS

Hi,

interesting fact, pending a solution: even changing the scrolling behaviour in the terminal (defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse MouseVerticalScroll -bool NO) doesn't work. The defaults are changed allright (defaults read com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse), but neither horizontal nor vertical scrolling of the MM2 is changeable on my system.

Anyone ?

Regards, Steven

Nov 10, 2015 2:06 PM in response to QuadraS

either a bug or a great big oversite that some people actually use the mouse to do an actual job.... when in the world would i want it to move everything i was working on off the screen just cause i happen to rest my finger on the bloody thing... DOH! apple say its working right - yes if you like gadget toys that impress 10 year olds while wearing a apple shirt in a big shiny shop.... not when you need to make a living using one - apple make a mouse that works - does what its supposed to do - maybe i should dig that round one you designed for the original iMac - DOH!! - if any one does work out how to turn it off - please post- many thanks

Can't disable Magic Mouse 2 scrolling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.