Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder - Photo folder missing from list

I've recently upgrades to OS X El Capitan. I was trying to find a photo to add to one of my websites and I've noticed that in my finder list, I don't see the photo folder anymore. The pictures folder does not show all my pictures. Is there anyway to get it back or do I need to downgrade and remove El Capitan?

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Oct 20, 2015 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2017 8:27 AM

Go to Finder Preferences. Click on Sidebar. You will see a list of items that can be displayed in the Finder Sidebar. "Pictures" is on the list under "Favorites." Check it and then it will appear in your Finder window sidebar.

9 replies

Nov 25, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Sky Roch

Same here, since installing El Capitan OS10.11.1 at the weekend, and finding that it's REEEEEEEALLY SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW to do pretty much anything, I can no longer access the thousands of photos that I have stored in correctly named and dated folders in Finder. OK I thought, I'll try this new Photos thing, click Import and it doesn't let me access the folders in Finder...

Come on Apple, you're making obscene amounts of money out of us, you really should do better. Hopefully someone will come up with an answer. Personally I'm not bothered by the fancy Photos thing, was quite happy with how things worked previously. New isn't always better, sometimes it's ****, like this is

Dec 2, 2015 7:30 AM in response to lisak263

Hi, I upgraded this weekend too and noticed the 'Pictures' folder had disappeared. My troubleshoot for this was to search in Finder for a folder name I knew was in Pictures. When highlighting the folder in the Finder list, at the bottom of the dialog box you can see the directory chain of folders. I was able to drag and drop the 'Pictures' folder from here back into the main left hand Finders directory.... Hope this makes sense. (I'm no Mac or computer wizard;-)

Dec 2, 2015 8:04 AM in response to lvbrownie

Hi lvbrownie!

I'm no Mac or computer wizard either. Your solution worked for me!

In Finder, I clicked on Device 'Macintosh HD' went to folder 'Users'. From there I clicked on 'my username' and found my 'Pictures' folder.

Like you said, drag and drop brought it back to the directory where I can now access all my pictures and images again. Yay!

Thanks for taking the time to share,

🙂

Dec 2, 2015 9:24 PM in response to lisak263

This is how you get back all the pictures-movies-music folders back on the sidebar in finder. You don't need to drag the pictures folder to the sidebar or anything. It's literally just changing the preferences (in the finder menu bar) and clicking which folders you want in the sidebar.

Read these instructions:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/214621/missing-folders-after-os-x-el-ca pitan-upgrade

Dec 2, 2015 9:25 PM in response to lvbrownie

This is how you get back all the pictures-movies-music folders back on the sidebar in finder. You don't need to drag the pictures folder to the sidebar or anything. It's literally just changing the preferences (in the finder menu bar) and clicking which folders you want in the sidebar. Easy as pie.

Read these instructions:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/214621/missing-folders-after-os-x-el-ca pitan-upgrade

Finder - Photo folder missing from list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.