Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar will not hold window size on restart

I have just upgraded to El Capitan on my iMac. I now find that on starting or restart, Calendar will not retain the window size that I had previously set. Perhaps I need to discard the old preferences setting and start afresh. Will that solve the problem, and if so, where is that preferences setting located?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 7:45 AM

61 replies

Jan 11, 2017 12:40 PM in response to baughnconsulting

Sidebar was mentioned as a culprit in the resizing issue in this thread. Anyhow, since my earlier post, I deleted the com.apple.iCal.plist preference file and after a couple of attempts with resizing and sidebar on/off, I am now able to keep the sidebar open, without resetting of size, after quitting and restarting. So mac OS Sierra did fix the issue, even if some errors may have carried over from older preferences that needed to be trashed.

Nov 15, 2015 10:19 AM in response to Matt Smith7

I have exactly the same thing. Idential Macbook Pros at home and work with identical OSX El Capitan versions and it only displays this bug on one of them. Weird! If it's useful, I created an Applescript to resize the window with one click for my ACD 24" at home (1920x1200 resolution) - save it as an Application and just launch it to resize the calendar window to your liking:

tell application "Calendar"

set the bounds of window 1 to {0, 21, 1770, 1150}

activate

end tell

you can change the last two numbers to whatever size you want: the 3rd number represents the width and the last number represents the height.

Nov 20, 2015 4:13 AM in response to Don H.

So not that you should have to do this, but I've discovered that if you click the Calendars button on the toolbar, which hides the sidebar, then calendar retains the window size you set before quitting and restarting the application.

I've never had to do this before, and only recently began experiencing the issue. I normally leave the sidebar exposed. But this is what worked for me.

Nov 20, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Don H.

Miklos' Applescript has the advantage that it can be set to work automatically. Dnapolitano4 has the advantage that it doesn't require wizardry at setting up an Applescript app. All of us would benefit if the Mac OS designers would simply fix the darned bug.

Thanks for the help of Miklos and Dnapolitano4

Dec 22, 2015 8:03 AM in response to dnapolitano4

Thank you for the workaround solutions, but as was said before, it is a bug that should be fixed and that highlights the recent lack of attention to details from Apple. I need to switch often between home and work calendars, so turning off the sidebar with calendar list is not a good option for me. I also mostly work from a month view. So every time I quit and reopen, I get frustrated. This is only made worse by the fact Calendar does not work well with Exchange (non-dismissible pop-ups that accumulate when checking details for invitation events). I don't know how these things go unfixed for so long when they are vital for people using macs at work.

Dec 29, 2015 8:10 AM in response to S. G.

I find it incredible. First there is nothing to be found on the internet, just here, and only now do I learn that it is not me who is just to stupid to understand it! I was so frustrated about all the articles discribing how to use spilt screen etc I can not, for the life of me, imagine how this can be a bug that exists in version 3 (0,1,2)

Calendar will not hold window size on restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.