Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote 6.6 Jpeg export incorrect resolution

When exporting a Keynote file as images (whether exporting to Jpeg, PNG, or TIFF) the images are exporting at 1024x768 instead of the correct widescreen resolution 16x9 (Keynote is essentially letter boxing the image so it is not stretched). This has just started since the latest update-- it's worked correctly for years, this is the first issue I've had. I've changed the document properties and other settings to see if there is some setting that changed somehow. I've looked and not see if Apple has a fix coming for this and have not come up with any matches.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2017 1:35 AM

What pixel resolution are you using?

Go to Inspector > Document > Document > Slide Size; in the dropdown menu select: Custom Slide Size and enter values at 3000 x 1875, (for a 16x10 format image) if you then need higher resolution, increase the values in proportion.

43 replies

Oct 21, 2015 3:16 PM in response to barryfrommiddletown

Same issue here. For the life of me, I can't figure out why 4x3 is still a thing for presentation software... I get it that projector manufacturers are behind on converting everything to 16x9, but why would Keynote take a 16x9 document and export a 4x3 image?

Also why is the 4x3 export at such a low resolution? Is there any hope for eventually being able to choose/set the resolution of the document?

Keynote has it's issues, but it is still one of the best (if not the best) option for high-quality graphics and animation production (if used properly). The program is quite powerful and capable, and just a few more exporting options (and tweaks to the video export) would make Keynote incredible!

With the documents, Keynote [as of 6.5] used to export a 1920x1080px image. PERFECT for use in video or a thumbnail for video.

Any assistance on this, or update (downgrade) to 6.5 capability would be incredibly welcome.

Oct 21, 2015 3:21 PM in response to lmshree

It also looks like it inverted my global shadows.

On the screen the shadows are all [behind] down and to the right. On the exported image they're coming out as up and to the right.

This only shows up on the *4x3* exported image (from my 16x9 document). The document shadows are still what I set them to.

What happened with 6.6?

Oct 22, 2015 8:24 AM in response to barryfrommiddletown

I have the same issue since keynote's latest update. Even when I try to make them png files, they are still in 4x3 size - just the "bars" at the top and bottom of the image are transparent. When you export as jpeg format it makes white bars on the top and bottom of the image. Frustrating. The only "go around" I have been able to do to get my exporting of keynote into 16x9 images it to first export it to powerpoint, then I have to save the powerpoint file as pictures to get the correct 16x9 dimensions. This update has added this extra step for me. It works, but it is frustrating that keynote is now exporting images in an outdated format now and making me add an extra step to my process. Any help (or update) on fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 22, 2015 9:16 PM in response to barryfrommiddletown

I spent a few hours on the phone will apple today. I walked their tech people through the problem and they are working to create a fix. There is a work-around though!!! Instead of exporting the slides as images, export as PDF. Then open the pdf in preview and from there export as an image file. So basically its two-steps instead of one. Kind of annoying, but at least it gets the job done!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Keynote 6.6 Jpeg export incorrect resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.