Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes not responding, running extremely slow

I've done all the normal troubleshooting already... disabled everything possible in all the setting options to optimize performance...I do not have any smart playlists etc, do not have any devices synced, all updates are current on the laptop

When I play a song, it starts immediately, then I get the spinning wheel for 2-3 minutes...same thing when dragging a track into a playlist, editing a track name, creating a playlist, editing start/stop time etc...it's impossible to use the program, and the lag time between commands is ridiculous.

I have a:

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

Running iTunes 12.3.1

Any way to solve these issues/speed up the program?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 5:30 PM

Similar issues. Editing track name, adding artwork, importing, all cause massive hangs with the (new) beachball.

OS X 10.11.1

iTunes 12.3.1.23

Mac mini (Mid 2011)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

285 replies

Oct 22, 2015 5:05 AM in response to JWallace99

Same here.

Last version was incredibly slow, but faster than the one before. This new up-date is next to impossible to use.

After up-dating OSX and iTunes this morning, it took three launches (and force quits) and a(another) total restart to get the thing to even open properly.

Now, when a song finishes, the progress bar stops at between 8 and 5 seconds from the end, the track changes, but nothing else happens for about a minute or two. You can't do anything in that time, scroll, click elsewhere, anything.

It's like the spinning ball thing is now a part of the iTunes design.

Are Apple TRYING to drive people over to Spotify?

Oct 22, 2015 8:01 AM in response to Russell Madden

I'm going to agree that it could be something linked to the iTunes store. Since the update, I have run into the spinning beachball issue whenever I attempt to do anything with the store (downloading, updating or moving around in the store.) I had no issue prior to the update. Also tried all the usual troubleshooting steps...

OS X 10.11.1

iTunes 12.3.1.23

iMac (Late 2013)

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

32GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Oct 22, 2015 4:08 PM in response to JWallace99

An update: The beachball/slowness *only* seems to occur when editing/working with music. I can edit titles in movies just like before. Change a single character in a song title? 125% CPU and hung iTunes for what seems like a minute.

As an experiment I turned off Airport and unplugged ethernet and had the same (slow) result. Weirdly my work laptop (new 13" MBP) is not affected by this bug (although admittedly it has almost no music on it compared to a rather large home library).

Also I don't use Apple Music. Straight old-school CD rips, Amazon, and iTunes purchases.

Oct 22, 2015 4:15 PM in response to force_quit

My iTunes has the beach ball etc. regardless of what I'm doing. Even simply moving the cursor will activate the ball.

Oddly, earlier this afternoon, iTunes seemed "normal": I could start/stop songs, move about the menu, etc. I thought Apple had done something on its end. But I tried playing a music video, and iTunes was back to its slow/frozen self. I've had issues before w/ iTunes updates messing w/ songs, playlists, etc., but this is the first time when it has been essentially rendered inoperable. Can't even access videos on my computer from Apple TV. Grr.

Itunes not responding, running extremely slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.