Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xcode update stuck at waiting

I'm trying to update to Xcode 7.1. But this what I get. 😟

User uploaded file

I tried restarting the system. No use.

I checked in Console. And, I can see a lot of these:

22/10/15 09:42:31.000 kernel[0]: Sandbox: storeaccountd(2111) deny(1) file-write-create /Users/saneef/Library/Caches/com.apple.spotlight

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 9:15 PM

46 replies

Jan 22, 2017 7:36 AM in response to saneef

Even when there seems to a number of possible workarounds for this problem, this should be fixed, and Xcode updates should be available from the app store. But Apple does not follow or react to these discussions.

I reported this with a regular feedback at www.apple.com/feedback, as a problem concerning iTunes & purchases (there is no "App Store" item in the feedback site). But I wonder if that is the right channel?

Aug 23, 2017 6:23 AM in response to saneef

I agree with others that this is an old problem and that in the last few years mac os seems to be going downhill, with many annoying bugs popping up where it shouldn't (given its price tag). I also dislike the fact that xcode is now 4.5GB which add to this problem.

However for this particular problem, i have found a way out, not sure if this is specific to my system (macbook pro mid2012, macos sierra). I notice that while the download randomly got stuck in one state or another, in this case the "waiting" state, when i look at the "network" pane in the "activity monitor", i found that the process "storedownloadd" continue to receive new network packets, which means appstore is still doing its job, but didn't know about it 😝. What remains then is a way to refresh appstore. Restarting appstore wasn't enough, eventually what works for me is to put my mac to sleep for a few seconds, upon wakeup, appstore complained that the download failed, but seconds later it picks up where it had left off normally (with download status bar etc, no more "waiting"), voila 😀 . I guess you could also try just cutting your internet connection (to create the download failed scenario).

Dec 6, 2017 4:08 PM in response to saneef

Yeah, I had this same problem... Started off with Xcode then a few other applications after updating my MacBook to High Sierra.

There seem to be two options in order to fix this:

1) Remove the application to the trash (fastest method)

2) Just go back to the application on the Apple Store and click download again (can take a few tries)

I guess we will have to wait a little while for this to be a stable Operating System, but hay its a lot faster than any issues that need to be fixed on any Windows Operating System, not that I am being biased as I use both Operating Systems on a day-to-day basis 😝

Dec 31, 2015 5:20 PM in response to saneef

Apple,

For years I have dreaded every App Store update for any application. Every single time a new update for Xcode comes out I end up spending hours (and I really do mean HOURS) fighting to simply get the update installed. This isn't a new problem. It's been getting stuck on 'waiting' for a while. I've tried everything. This issue occurs on several of my macs, even on a perfectly clean formatted machine with a new install of El Capitan. It occurs on multiple networks as well.

I could understand this issue if I were on an old Comcast cable connection, but I have gigabit fiber at my house. Microsoft updates happen in an instant. But Apple's OS X App Store updates are an entirely different story.

I'm fine with bugs, as a software developer I understand that there will never be bug free software. But when the same bugs keep happening year after year after year, it starts to get a bit old.

Please, fix your software, because each and every day it gets just a bit more tiring.

Feb 11, 2016 7:29 PM in response to Eric Root

In the Store menu there is a Check for Unfinished Downloads...

I had this issue, found that, clicked it, got a message that all my purchased downloads had finished and clicked ok.

I had expected that to be the end of it, but lo and behold, after clicking ok, the Apple XCode update started downloading promptly.

Hope that helps someone needing their XCode update!!!!

Feb 17, 2016 7:33 PM in response to saneef

Copied from my answer in the developer forums:

Going to Applications in Finder and moving Xcode to the trash bin fixed the problem for me. As soon as I entered in my password to confirm moving Xcode to the trash, the App Store prompted me on whether or not I wanted to cancel the update or delete the app. I opted to delete Xcode, and the App Store immediately began downloading the update.

Hope this helps anyone else who's having the same problem.

Xcode update stuck at waiting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.