Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery draining 4s after iOS 9.1 update

MY phone 4s battery draining out soon after iOS 9.1 update . Kindly resolve.

Posted on Oct 22, 2015 3:58 AM

57 replies

Oct 22, 2015 4:00 AM in response to Pradeep1984

Try to follow the instructions on this page in order to maximize your battery life:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/21/fix-ios-9-battery-life-problems/

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/ios-82-battery-life-problems-how-fix-quick-drain-is sues-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-422229

Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on the phone.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

You may also try to reset all settings: go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

You may also try to follow these steps:

1. Navigate to settings/general/ battery usage. Check the applications. This will show you which app eats up your battery.

2. Turn off iCloud keychain: Navigate to Settings/ iCloud/Keychain / turn it off.

3. Limit apps activity on the background: Navigate to Settings/ general/ Background App refresh/ turn it off for each application which uses to much power.

4. Disable auto brightness: Navigate to settings/ display and brightness/ auto-brightness. Turn this option off.

Oct 22, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Pradeep1984

Having updated to 9.1 this morning (9am) when my phone was at 100% (I did it shortly after unplugging from its overnight charge), by 3.25pm it was down to 12% (it would normally be at 60-80%) with no phone calls, just a few hours of streaming Apple Music and five mins setting up Apple News. I've now done what I thought was called a Hard Reset, but some call it a Soft Reset, but anyway, it's when you press the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons until it reboots, and fingers crossed that seems to have fixed it as it's still on 12% some 20 minutes later. Will report back later if it turns out that it hasn't fixed it.

HTH

Tim

Oct 22, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Tim Pentreath

Noticed similar behavior since the iOS 9.0.2.

And still experiencing the same issue with 9.1 😟

iPhone 5s.

Furthermore, usage conditions are almost exactly the same as the were before (cellular signal, settings etc). Anyway, I've decided to decrease some push notifications, background updates and even tried to recalibrate the battery. Useless!

My phone loses 5-7% per night and "home/lock screen" consumes almost 20% per 24 hrs. It is the challenge now to use my phone for more than 6.5 hrs per day (though normally it was 7.5-8).

And what is also looks curious - in order to test it I've decided to switch airplane mode but enable wifi for the night. And it was a miracle - I've reached exactly the same conditions as before - 1% discharged!

Something wasn't carefully checked on the Apple's side 😟

Oct 23, 2015 11:26 AM in response to thunderzzz

I've disabled most notifications, all background app refresh, etc. but I'm still seeing tremendous battery drain and even random heating of the phone when it's in sleep mode. Home and Lock Screen shows as using 35% of my battery discharge yesterday, and I went from 95% charge to 65% in just a couple hours of sleeping in my pocket. I tried checking the usage time/standby time, putting it into sleep mode for 5 minutes, and found that usage time had increased by 1 minute, meaning it potentially is not sleeping properly?

I am also seeing terrible lag in launching applications.

Oct 23, 2015 5:14 PM in response to MDF3530

That's because it isn't at Apple's end. My 4 devices running 9.1 all have seen no change in battery life since upgrading, and 9.0 had greatly improved battery life over 8.4.1. Whenever anyone observes a change in battery life they assume that the problem MUST be Apple's. There is only one case on record where it actually was in the past 8 years, and that was 3 years ago. Changes in battery life happen constantly over the lifespan of any battery operated device, and sometimes they occur after an update. You have to take the initiative to resolve the problem; there are innumerable reasons your battery life has gotten worse; it's your job to figure out why. You can start by going to Settings/Battery and seeing which apps are using the most energy. One possibility is the Facebook app, as Facebook actually said yesterday that they know their latest update drains batteries really fast, and they are working on an update.

Oct 23, 2015 5:29 PM in response to MDF3530

I sincerely doubt that you have tried "everything", because that would take days, and 9.1 hasn't been out that long. I didn't say it was your fault. I said it wasn't Apple's fault that you have an app on your phone that is draining your battery.

If rather than "everything" you post what you actually tried perhaps someone can provide guidance on what you may have missed. It's very frustrating to make a suggestion and get the reply "I tried that." But you might want to start here: http://www.overthought.org/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-d rain

Oct 24, 2015 12:38 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I'm always trying to find out the root cause on my side first thing and avoid blaming others.

But not in that case. I'm already disabled almost everything in background apps updates, a lot of notifications (which are Push services as we know) - but still experiencing the same issues since the iOS 9.0.2 upgrade.

And during my mini-investigation I've discovered that even not iPhone 5s models were affected.

Same conditions with different results - from my personal point of view it requires an additional investigation on the developers's side (during the iOS 9.1 beta 5 I've already shared my feedback).

Oct 25, 2015 3:01 PM in response to Pradeep1984

I have the same problems with my 4s. Since 9.1 my battery is draining even without any call or anything else.

Before 9.1, my 4s battery lasted at least 2 days with an average of 5 to 10 min call per day. Since 9.1, the battery is completely drained within 8/10h without any solicitation.

Is it on purpose to force older iPhone to have their batteries damaged with 9.1?

The problem is real and easily noticeable. Does Apple old habits to force customers to buy new products has been too much revealed?

Mistake or not, it is a real shame.

Battery draining 4s after iOS 9.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.