Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to insert a photo into word, photos is no longer listed under "media" in finder. How do I get that back?

My kids have been on my computer and must have done something to it. I can no longer choose photos from "photos" (previously iPhoto) to insert into a word document. When I click insert photo, I used to be able to find my "photos" in the media section of finder under photos. The only thing listed there now is photo booth. How do I get access to photos there again?

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Oct 24, 2015 9:02 PM

20 replies

Oct 24, 2015 10:40 PM in response to kellyfromseeley

Kelly, is your hots Library the System Photo Library?

When you open Photos, go to Photos > Preferences and look at the General panel:

The option "Use as System Photo LIbrary" should be grayed out like in the screenshot below: If it is not grayed out, click the "Use as System Photo Library".

User uploaded file

Where is your Photos library stored? Has it been moved? What does the line "Library location" say? You can also click the button "Show in Finder" to reveal your library. Is it in your Pictures folder or on an external drive?

Which version of Word do you have?

Oct 25, 2015 7:45 AM in response to léonie

User uploaded file

I am not sure if it has always looked like this, but it does now. And yes, I have always been able to open the Photos Library in Word. Never had a problem. The only thing I can think is that there may have been an update to my windows within the last couple of days, but can't remember. Is there a way to check updates?

As a side note, this is what it looks like when I go to upload a photo to Facebook. My Photos are there!

User uploaded file

Oct 25, 2015 8:17 AM in response to kellyfromseeley

. And yes, I have always been able to open the Photos Library in Word. Never had a problem

And it really was Photos and not iPhoto?

Which version of Word do you have? Check the version number, when Word is running. Simply click "Info" in the "Word" menu to the right of the -menu. It will show you the version number and the version of Office. Perhaps you are suddenly launching an older version from a connected backup drive instead of your most recent version.

When I try to insert a photo into word, photos is no longer listed under "media" in finder. How do I get that back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.