Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I export to images resolution changes to 1024 X 768

Each week I have been using keynote to produce slides then converting them into images to use in ProPresenter for our church services. Just recently I cannot get these images to populate as 1080p (1920x1080) images. For some reason keynote will only export as 1024x768 no matter how I setup the particular show. I never had this problem until just recently, I am assuming because of updated software. Please, help as I have tried everything to get some resolve on this but nothing seems to be working. Thanks.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Keynote 6.6

Posted on Oct 26, 2015 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2015 9:53 AM

We are doing the exact same thing, for the exact same reason, and in preparation for this last Sunday's service ran into the exact same problem. I have reported the problem through "Provide Keynote Feedback" in the "Keynote" menu. I categorized it as a bug. I suggest anyone else running into this problem also provide the feedback. The more it gets reported, the more likely it will get prioritized over other bug fixes.

In the meantime, we did find a temporary work-around. Instead of exporting as JPEG, export as PNG. You will still have the 16:9 image embedded in a 4:3 picture with bars above and below, but those bars will be transparent instead of white. Then have ProPresenter scale the images. ProPresenter will do the right thing and scale the non-transparent portion of the image to the full screen. It won't be at the resolution we want, but it won't be a smaller image with a lot of white space above and below our slides.

For those wanting to export 16:9 images from Keynote that have not updated to version 6.6, I would suggest holding off for the time being.

Don Parsons

IT & Technical Arts Admin

The Fellowship, Katy Tx

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2015 9:53 AM in response to uthpastor

We are doing the exact same thing, for the exact same reason, and in preparation for this last Sunday's service ran into the exact same problem. I have reported the problem through "Provide Keynote Feedback" in the "Keynote" menu. I categorized it as a bug. I suggest anyone else running into this problem also provide the feedback. The more it gets reported, the more likely it will get prioritized over other bug fixes.

In the meantime, we did find a temporary work-around. Instead of exporting as JPEG, export as PNG. You will still have the 16:9 image embedded in a 4:3 picture with bars above and below, but those bars will be transparent instead of white. Then have ProPresenter scale the images. ProPresenter will do the right thing and scale the non-transparent portion of the image to the full screen. It won't be at the resolution we want, but it won't be a smaller image with a lot of white space above and below our slides.

For those wanting to export 16:9 images from Keynote that have not updated to version 6.6, I would suggest holding off for the time being.

Don Parsons

IT & Technical Arts Admin

The Fellowship, Katy Tx

Oct 26, 2015 10:14 AM in response to uthpastor

I had the same problem this weekend in our church, and it caught our tech team completely by surprise. It appears to be a SERIOUS problem in Keynote 6.6 (2550). We are still running all our ProPresenter Macs under Yosemite - so this is clearly a Keynote specific problem. With Keynote configured for 16:9 or explicitly with 1920x1080 pixels, all images files exported from Keynote will have an incorrect 1024x768 pixel resolution.

Until Apple fixes this, there's a workaround in ProPresenter: control-click the incorrectly scaled slide(s) in ProPresenter, select Media Properties, then the Settings tab (it looks like a gear), and choose SCALE TO FIT. ProPresenter should then rescale and project the files at the correct HD 1920x1080 pixel size, although the visual resolution might appear grainy. We're running PP5 as I assume PP6 also has this capability. If not you'll have to use a 3rd party image editor to rescale up to the correct size.

MacBookPro, Yosemite, Keynote 6.6 (2550)

Oct 28, 2015 7:00 AM in response to uthpastor

Found out, if you export as TIFF, you can see there is a ALPHA layer with the wrong size, but the white background is ok... strange, maybe an alpha layer problem...

Keynote should export 1 x 1 till infinite pixels. 😉

1. Export all images as TIFF / PNG? (with alpha layer)

2. So, if you have a tool that cuts-off the alpha layer and resize the image then the correct size will left over.

Oct 28, 2015 8:18 AM in response to flag2

Oh, sorry, this "export as PNG / TIFF then crop to image size" does not help.

The size of the images are screwed up, always 1024 x Y.... so Apple did it again: No testing... the user will test for you...

The only solution that worked for me:

1. Broken Keynote: File, Export... PDF...

2. Load your PDF file in Preview

3. Choose File > Export... and make sure you setup 72 Pixel / Inch.

4. Hit Save.

5. Done!

Maybe you have to change color pallet later on also.

🙂

Oct 28, 2015 9:39 AM in response to flag2

We found a way to "mass export" the PDFs (instead doing them 1 at a time).

Instead of opening the PDF in Preview, use Adobe Acrobat & export the PDF to PNGs (set resolution to 72 dpi). It will export every page of the PDF to a PNG, so make sure you delete any extra pages. Also, do NOT check the "Export all images" option... That exports individual images on 1 slide as multiple images. Leaving it unchecked exports each page to a single PNG.

Nov 2, 2015 1:47 PM in response to uthpastor

I spoke with Apple support about this today and asked if they are working on a fix. The support rep confirmed that this is a "bug" (one of many) in Keynote version 6.6. He confirmed they are working on a fix. While the support rep did not know the schedule to release an update, he said the bug reports started flowing in volume immediately when 6.6 was released in mid-October and he thought an update to restore the export function to proper working order would not be much longer. I'm not sure what that means... but at least Apple is acknowledging that there is a problem and that a fix is in the works. yippee...

When I export to images resolution changes to 1024 X 768

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.