Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X El Capitan: Parental Controls NOT working

Using a managed account, and selecting "only allow these websites", when managed/ or Admin user logs out and then back in and parental controls are opened by ADMIN account, "try to limit access to adult websites" is selected. MBP restarted, ADMIN goes back into managed account and selects only allow...and same thing happens....also if I enter specific websites that are NOT to be accessed at all under "Custom" these websites disappear next logging from ADMIN or Managed account.....Parental Controls worked fine with Yosemite....Can anyone help?

Posted on Oct 29, 2015 1:45 PM

185 replies

Jan 9, 2017 7:23 PM in response to iachelini

You are spot on. Parental Controls on Mac works only if you have a fresh installation of Mac OS X, and have not installed a single other non-Apple application. Reason being is that virtually all applications today install background services that ping various servers/websites (nothing nefarious; just the usual things apps must do to work properly, such as connect to AWS to poll various data, call home to authenticate registration, etc.). The Parental Control service then sees all of those pings simply as, "Your kid is trying to access http://adoberegistration.services.authentiocationservice224.com. Do you wish to allow?"

Adobe applications (Creative Cloud, e.g.) are notorious for this. They install at the root/admin level, so that even when your son, with a restricted account, logs in you will spend the next 20 minutes of your life authenticating with the "Always Allow..." dialog. And that only applies for that session. If he/she logs out and logs back in, you will repeat this nearly endless process.

Then have fun tracking down and disabling the guilty apps/services! If you're successful, the unintended consequence is that when you need to go do serious adult work in any Adobe app, all the necessary services will have been shut down.

Although this isn't necessarily Apple's fault, they sure don't provide any wizards/help in trying to make life any easier for you and your kid(s).

Dec 5, 2015 7:12 AM in response to jetseller

Unfortunately I must fully agree: Parental Control seems inherently and completely broken. No setting whatsoever is stored.

Neither apps, nor websites, nor timing. It doesnt even generate log files. Since there hasn´t been released a patch for it, I start to think no one even cares. Is the group of parents using this very neat feature so little, that its not worse to bother?

Or am I missing something here?

Dec 9, 2015 3:58 PM in response to jetseller

I want to add to the list of things that aren't working in Parental Control, under El Capitan:

If you go to the "Apps" tab of Parental Controls and a check the "Limit Applications on this Mac," you can check and un-check the apps you want your children to use or not. Unfortunately, this feature doesn't behave as expressed.

Once you have checked or un-checked the apps that you want to run/not-run, and begin testing you'll notice that you can this feature only blocked the 6-7 default programs (such as garageband etc), not the specific ones you tried to block. Tinkering with the available controls does not affect any change. It does not let you 'turn off' the apps you want.

OS X El Capitan: Parental Controls NOT working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.