Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard lag when typing messages in iMessage

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing lag when typing messages in iMessage. I have hand-off turned on and frequently respond to messages using my Mac. I'm running a MacBook Pro 15" Retina with an i7 processor and 16gb of RAM with literally nothing else running.

I know it's not a machine issue because I routinely spend my time in Adobe Lightroom and PhotoShop and never have any performance issues.

Not sure what's going on. Anyone experience the same issue?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Oct 29, 2015 2:39 PM

17 replies

Aug 16, 2017 12:10 AM in response to Roland Jacobs

I am surprised to see that this weird bug still persists. And, I am experiencing it on the 2017 15" MacBook Pro maxed out model running macOS Sierra. I used a Time Machine backup in order to transfer everything from my older Mac. But turning off Calls from iPhone did the trick. Also, I did not notice the lag even after I turned it back on after a restart. Thanks for the tip!

Nov 1, 2015 1:53 PM in response to imramugh

Hi,

I cannot do Handoff with my current Mac.

However as SMS Forwarding and Handoff rely on the two devices being on the same Network does either device has an issue with staying connected to the LAN ?

The Handoff process is trying to make sure it is "written" on both devices.

Don't forget the iPhone is not likely to be as fast as the Mac and it will not be helped if the LAN is also busy.

User uploaded file

9:53 pm Sunday; November 1, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Nov 1, 2015 2:14 PM in response to imramugh

Hi,

The Satellite TV service I use uses the internet to connect to their On Demand servers.

I have two set top boxes that are capable of streaming HD content.

I have three Macs, there are 4 iPhone and 3 iPads in the house.

I have three Computers that are On (even though I am mainly using the iMac and reading the news on the MacBook Pro.

My son also has a Macbook Pro.

On top of that there is an X Box one that is sometime playing games and two TV that are also capable of Internet streaming (and are connected).

Whilst I don't think I have a lot of use my son's gaming or TV usage or my wife's TV catch ups can effect what is going on without me realising.

I know it defeats what the app and the Handoff is supposed to do but does the text also appear slow on the iPhone ? (when you are typing on the Mac)

Is it slow in the other direction, either to show in the iPhone or on the Mac.

If both are slow it is more likely to be something about the network.

If one is slow it is going to be about the app on that device.

However other than suggesting that you Turn it Off and reset it I don't have anything else as I can't test it myself.

User uploaded file

10:14 pm Sunday; November 1, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 18, 2015 10:09 AM in response to imramugh

I have tried everything in this thread and have called Apple Support two times. The problem persists.

My efforts to resolve this stubborn problem:

Booted to SAFE

Cleared temporary memory: CMD+OPT+P+R

Turned off WiFi calling

Deleted auto-login apps through users & groups

Re-installed El Capitan

And deleted two config files I found from another, older thread.

Apple Support does not know what to do next. I am experiencing this on a Macbook Pro and Mac Mini. It is not hardware and does not occur on any other application; just Message.

Frustrated!

Dec 19, 2015 1:33 PM in response to love2bike

Hi,

Is Spell Check On in the Edit Menu ?

In System Preferences > Languages and Region is it set to the region you are in ?

Does this match the Keyboard settings ?

Some people will list say the UK in the first but another language in the Keyboard preferences.

In some apps there are ways of selecting or adding to a Personal Dictionary such as adding Apple type iWords like iChat and iPod to accept the second letter capital and leading "i".

I can't seem to find the way this is enabled in Messages but I am wondering if your Mac has lost contact with this Dictionary ?

User uploaded file

9:33 pm Saturday; December 19, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 20, 2015 8:18 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ralph,

Thank you for your great response.

I check every item you listed, to verify the proper setting. All good.

I think I have fixed this problem. We recently moved our corporate email to Google Apps. This forced an account change on all my iDevices; iPhone, iMac, and Macbook Pro. I believe the lag was iMessage trying to sync both accounts; the old one and the new G App account. When I turned off the old account, the lag stopped. Also, I recently turned on WiFi calling on my iPhone because my cell service at home is poor. When I did this, I allowed WiFi calling on all my other iDevices, which I have now disabled, with the exception of my iPhone ONLY (6+).

As an IT professional myself, I rarely make multiple changes at the same time because I am not 100% certain, which of these two changes, actually corrected the problem. Apple wanted me to re-download EC and re-install OS X but I couldn't see the benefit of that since the lag was occurring on my Macbook, as well as, my Mac Mini.

Thanks again for your thorough response.

Dana

Dec 20, 2015 11:35 AM in response to love2bike

Hi,

Glad you found the answer.

Of the two, I think the multiple sync for the Contacts App is the answer.

It is a known issue that if you have two accounts say iCloud and Yahoo or Google trying to all sync at the same time then Messages may not actually launch or have major issues displaying Contacts if it does launch.

I don't think I have seen a thread like yours before where it seems to have got past those parts so I had not really considered it

User uploaded file

7:35 pm Sunday; December 20, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 9, 2016 9:15 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I experienced the same issue (major lag while typing in Messages after upgrading to 10.11.2) and can confirm it's related to contacts sync. I initially eliminated the issue by disabling "Contacts" sync in the iCloud system preferences panel, but need my contacts to sync, so did a little more poking around. I then found that my Google Apps CardDAV was enabled in the Contacts App (Contacts > Preferences > Accounts). As soon as I disabled the Google Apps CardDAV, the lag stopped. Not ideal, since I'd still like to sync my Google Apps contacts, but at least I now have my iCloud contacts and can use the Messages app without wanting to completely rip my hair out. Thanks for the tips in this thread!

Mar 3, 2016 12:03 PM in response to cplusd

Hi

Are you suggesting that it is not the fact two or more account are active in Contacts, but that it is the activation of the Google one that causes the issue ?

My suggestions so far have been it has been due to multiple accounts being active in Contacts - an issue that seems to develop from the System Preferences that seems to turn On all options for Internet account whether they were On or not in Yosemite.

User uploaded file

8:03 pm Thursday; March 3, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Keyboard lag when typing messages in iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.