Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the Remote App not compatible with 4th gen Apple TV?

Is it Apple's plan to release an update to the Remote app to support the 4th gen ATV or are they ditching the app?

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 11:33 AM

So we can scroll endlessly through alphabets and library lists using tiny 1" trackpad. 😠

I already really miss using the remote app and the scroll buttons on the old remote as scrolling around endlessly on the new remote is just TEDIOUS!!!

79 replies

Oct 30, 2015 11:49 AM in response to Paul Barrett3

Yep. Can't believe that Apple haven't included support for (or updated) the iOS or Apple Watch Remote apps. Nor included support for Bluetooth keyboards. Major step back. Entering logins for things like Netflix is incredibly tedious with the Siri remote. I ended up using my old IR Apple Remote as it was quicker (The Siri remote overshoots too often)

Oct 30, 2015 11:51 AM in response to Paul Barrett3

I agree with Paul. I cannot believe Apple would not support the iOS remote app on this new Apple TV! I intend to call tech support regarding this as it very well may be a deal-breaker for me. The new Apple TV remote is a nice step up from the old one when it comes to surfing content, but the iOS remote app on iPhone and iPad is the way to go when you need to enter text and for other functions. Really Apple, why do you keep breaking things that used to work well:?

Oct 31, 2015 1:04 PM in response to Evan Window

Not freaking out. Just disappointed Apple didn't include either the Remote app or wireless keyboard functionality on the new ATV when it would be most useful - for initial ATV set up and adding apps. Don't get me wrong, I love the gen 4 ATV, but the inconvenience of entering credentials with the Siri Remote took a bit of luster off the set-up experience.

Nov 2, 2015 6:48 AM in response to Olive123

One solution to the scrolling endlessly through home library lists issue is to use the iOS Remote app to control your iTunes library instead of the ATV4, and when playing off your iTunes library, set the ATV as the airplay output. This allows you to navigate all your lists via the iPhone, which is a much better experience all round. This doesn't solve the issue of typing passwords for all to see and the having a fit of frustration induced angst, anxiety and hysteria every time you need to type something, but at least avoids spending 45 minutes trying to reach Zoolander when scrolling through your home library.

I would liken the ATV4 scrolling to one of those dreams when you are trying to run really fast but just can't seem to move. Typing is a bit like like trying to thread too small a needle, in terms of sheer frustration.

Nov 2, 2015 10:12 AM in response to fft1024guy

My guess, Apple has said all apps require the ability to use the new Apple TV remote. Suspect the current remote app does not have this functionality and Apple would have some push back from developers if they violated their own rules. I like using my Harmony and or Apple app to control my Apple TV3, so hope Apple finds a solution. Also Apple needs to allow more then one physical remote to control the ATV4.

Why is the Remote App not compatible with 4th gen Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.