Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV (4th Gen) won't play iTunes content from library

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? My new gen4 aTV won't play some movies from my library - it says "this content cannot be played because it's format is not compatible with this device", but it plays fine on my Mac and my gen III aTVs whether I stream it or airplay it. The gen IV won't even let me airplay it which seems really crazy. What's going on? Otherwise I'm loving this box, but this is insane.

Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Oct 30, 2015 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2017 3:32 PM

ghostgrafik wrote:

We may not be talking about the same function per the TV app in iOS. In the old Video app, it allowed you to connect to your iTunes library on a desktop/laptop and stream both ripped video files and video files purchased through iTunes. In the new TV app, it appears to only support streaming of iTunes purchases. Ripped files don't appear as playable unless you actually copy the file directly onto your iPad.

That's not what I'm finding. Here's a view of the TV app on my iPad. It shows the 2 computers (iTunes Libraries):

User uploaded file

If I then select one of the computers shown, I then see the recorded shows in that computer's iTunes Library:

User uploaded file

I have not copied these videos onto the iPad; they play (stream) from the computer.

144 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2017 3:32 PM in response to ghostgrafik

ghostgrafik wrote:

We may not be talking about the same function per the TV app in iOS. In the old Video app, it allowed you to connect to your iTunes library on a desktop/laptop and stream both ripped video files and video files purchased through iTunes. In the new TV app, it appears to only support streaming of iTunes purchases. Ripped files don't appear as playable unless you actually copy the file directly onto your iPad.

That's not what I'm finding. Here's a view of the TV app on my iPad. It shows the 2 computers (iTunes Libraries):

User uploaded file

If I then select one of the computers shown, I then see the recorded shows in that computer's iTunes Library:

User uploaded file

I have not copied these videos onto the iPad; they play (stream) from the computer.

Jan 1, 2017 5:47 AM in response to JulesVF

You can play MPEG-4 content on the Apple TV using 3rd party apps (examples: Air Video HD or VLC), so tvOS does support that codex, just not within 1st party apps. I think Apple has made the decision to leave the support of various ripped video file formats outside of H.264/M4V to 3rd parties. They also eliminated the shared library function from the new TV app in iOS that previously existed in the old Video app. You now have to use 3rd party apps if you want to stream ripped files from your desktop/laptop to an iOS device.

Jan 1, 2017 8:55 AM in response to ghostgrafik

ghostgrafik wrote:

... They also eliminated the shared library function from the new TV app in iOS that previously existed in the old Video app. ...

Hmmm... It looks that that's the case for the new TV app on the ATV. (On the iPad the new TV app, replacing the Video app, DOES still offer shared library access so it never occurred to me to look for it on the ATV.)

The shared library function *is* still available on the ATV under the "Computers" icon, which is where we have always viewed our home-encoded mp4s (via EyeTV, Handbrake, etc.) via iTunes. So that app ("Computers") is our source for streaming any mp4s from our 2 macs (a Mini & MacBook Air).

When we recently changed routers we thought, at first, that Home Sharing had disappeared, but it that turned out to be due to the computers connecting on a different WiFi network than the ATV. Once all devices were back on the one network, Home Sharing options appeared as before.

Jan 2, 2017 1:37 PM in response to keriah

You're correct that the 4th gen Apple TV still allows streaming of both ripped video files and iTunes purchased files through the Computers app, but with the caveat that some MPEG-4 rips may no longer be compatible and have to be streamed through 3rd party apps or converted to M4V.

Jan 3, 2017 5:07 PM in response to keriah

Thanks for posting that! There seems to be a delay (at least for me) in terms of that link to the iTunes library actually showing up in the list on my iPad. I had never seen it there before and assumed it wasn't included, but after seeing your screenshots and repeatedly selecting the list in the TV app, it did eventually show up. Takes quite awhile to load the desktop based movie library as well (seems like nothing is happening for a couple of minutes), but that was true of the Videos app as well. Difference is that the Videos app had a circular "timer" that let you know it was working on loading the library, and the TV app does not. Anyway, glad I turned out to be wrong and that function is still in there.

Apr 27, 2017 12:38 AM in response to bferrell

Yap the new apple tv is total crap. When the remote actually working it takes forever to spin between movies. I'm having the same issues that you're having now "This content can't be played on the Apple TV" and its a new movie I just paid for through apple tv (accountant). This is a bug and has nothing to do with your video file. One of many bugs.

Seriously apples going backwards on many of the products, the new macbooks keywords are messed up. I purchased three in three months and returned three all for the same sticky key issue. These use to be windows issues now Apple is pretty much taking Microsofts place and releasing buggy hardware and software just to hit profits for shareholders. ******.

Oct 30, 2015 4:52 PM in response to Protodd

Not really, a lot of newer stuff like Mad Max Fury Road and Southpaw, some are as small as 6.6Gb, some are over 10 Gb, all 1920x1080 mp4's that all play fine on my gen III aTV box, and on the mac mini.

Like I say, why on earth would it not airplay, all it's doing is sharing the screen, it wouldn't even need to transcode that would it? At first I thought these had all been added to my iTunes after the recent update for el Cap, but I see now that isn't true either.

Apple TV (4th Gen) won't play iTunes content from library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.