Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight ignores the first character I type

Late 2014 MacBook Pro 15"

Mac OS 10.11.1

I activate Spotlight to launch apps. My keyboard shortcut is ⌃␠ (control-space). I activate Spotlight and type the first 2–3 letters of the app name, then hit 'return.' Now, I type a "S-A-F" for Safari, and Spotlight shows "A-F". Or I'll type "i-T" for iTunes and it shows "T-U".

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), null

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2015 7:11 PM

Same problem here so you're not alone. I've never opened so many obscure files.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

10.11.1 (15B42)

17 replies

Jan 11, 2016 4:18 PM in response to Edmond Hirota

First, I want to note that this problem is being discussed elsewhere, though none of them provide a solution:

https://openradar.appspot.com/23222411

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7296308

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7318604

https://www.reddit.com/r/OSXElCapitan/comments/3wczrk/spotlight_eating_the_first _letter/

I too have this problem. I've spoken with three senior advisors with Apple Technical Support, none of them had a solution. I have this problem on both of my computers (both 15" MacBook Pro Retina). The problem arises most commonly when I spotlight search for "Things" (which is a todo list program); the subsequent spotlight search then loses the first letter that is typed. It seems like the problem arises after Spotlight does a certain kind of search.

I did a complete erase and reinstall of OSX. At first the problem was gone, but as I reinstalled software the problem came back. One time I observed that it came back as soon as I reinstalled "Things". However, another time I did an erase and reinstall of OSX and some programs (but not Things), and the problem recurred.

Given how relatively uncommon this problem seems to be, but some of us have had it on multiple computers, suggests to me that it is some software or setting that we have that has contaminated both computers. If I had the time I would repeatedly do erase and reinstalls to try to isolate what programs make the problem come back.

Any other ideas? Apple?

Feb 5, 2016 9:36 AM in response to johncook22

Hey guys,

I had the same problem. I always launch Spotlight using the CMD + SPACE keyboard shortcut. The problem would occur almost every time I launched Spotlight using the keyboard shortcut and then immediately typed, for example, the name of an app. I was able to get Spotlight to stop eating the first letter by disabling this setting…

1. System Preferences

2. Spotlight

3. UNCHECK Allow Spotlight Suggestions in Spotlight and Look up

Hope this helps until Apple fixes it.

-Taylor

Feb 27, 2016 4:04 PM in response to Edmond Hirota

Same issue here, I'm a long time user of cmd+space to open just about anything on my Mac. El Capitan introduced this issue. The first input character types in, but then gets backspaced almost immediately by some sort of textfield refresh. The additional strange effect I've noticed is spotlight will work properly on subsequent uses in a short span of time, but say after 15mins it will again ignore the first character input when cmd+space is used again.

Thanks to Actin4life for making a bug report, I would as well, but I've learned in the past Apple will ignore duplicates.

Over all I love the Mac OS, but Apple not having a team of developers not working on these small quick fixes I feel is a very poor practice. Instead they are likely to fix this issue in next falls release of what I would only guess to be El Portal. In the mean time ignoring it as a non-breaking interface bug in El Capitan, and then introducing some other new bug in El Portal that only effects less than 20% of users that use it.

I'm going to try TaylorBo's suggestion: UNCHECK Allow Spotlight Suggestions in Spotlight and Look up

Spotlight ignores the first character I type

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.