Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage doesn't show "delivered" on sent texts. How come?

Hi everyone -

I sent a message to one of my friends who I regularly text. It's been a few weeks, and I hadn't texted this person. Then last night, I went to text them - it was a few pictures and some text. This morning I woke up and noticed the text sent as an iMessage (blue bubble) but did not say "delivered" on the bottom of the message, as iMessage usually does.

I've never seen this before, as everyone else that I text using iMessage, my messages go through as "delivered."

I've done a little Google research and am really unable to find anything on the topic, other than it could be that the person has their phone shut on/off. Well, this friend of mine is GLUED to their phone, and never has it off, and even if it was off, they would have received it by now, since it has been 12 hours.... It still does not say anything.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? Did this person block me? (I thought when you're blocked, it still goes through as "delivered" so you don't know). Did they really get my text, and iMessage just doesn't say "delivered" for some reason? (They are on Sprint, I am on Verizon... we both have iPhone 6+s .... not sure if that matters)

Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2017 1:59 AM

Why was this not solved? I am going through exactly the same issue, imessage is blue but doesn't say delivered, when I call the phone it rings more than once and doesn't go through to voicemail. Please someone help? Am I blocked

48 replies

Apr 26, 2017 4:19 PM in response to ClideDrexler

Ugh!! Mine is doing the same as of a few hrs ago. I texted and it says delivered and then sent another text and it's blue and don't say delivered. It's been about 3 hrs and I've sent a few more and still blue with no delivered?? I've called and it rang and rang and rang them vm after about 6 rings. Usually when your blocked it will send as green not blue. So I know I'm not blocked.

Nov 9, 2017 6:07 PM in response to NeedYourHelp1

I'm having the same problem! It's a person I text on a regular basis and it suddenly just stopped delivering. It's an iMessage but it doesn't say delivered. I'm positive they didn't block me. Ive tried all of the suggestions, such as, restarting my phone, making sure they're not blocked from my end, it's not on "do not disturb", and I've tried wifi and cellular data and nothing is working. I do text through my phone and my Mac, but I'm not sure that would screw everything up. I've never had this problem before. Do you think it would help to update my phone?

Nov 2, 2015 3:03 PM in response to misslil324

Oh, okay, interesting... so when it doesn't say "delivered" on your end, he has no idea that you've sent anything - i.e. he can't actually see what you've sent? I wonder if that's what's happening on my end too. I don't want to come across as a crazy lunatic and re-send some other way (i.e. e-mail) if he actually got the text, but I guess based on what's happening to you, it doesn't appear he did. Has your friend ever received your texts at a later time? i.e. You sent the texts, and then a day or whatever later, they go through? At first I thought maybe all of a sudden I was blocked, but then everything I read about that online said that if you get blocked, it still goes through as "delivered" so it's got to be something else. (I think!) I honestly don't know.

Anyone else out there - help?!?!

Apr 18, 2017 7:41 PM in response to ClideDrexler

I just recently began having this issue with one specific contact in my phone. After trying for days to figure out why some messages would go through as delivered, and others would go through but not say delivered, I realized that every time the message did not say delivered, I was connected to a wireless network. When I ran into this issue tonight, I disconnected my phone from my apartment wireless and resent the text, it went through as delivered without a problem.

No idea why this is or if the whole wireless vs cellular connection is a solution or a fluke, but it's definitely worth trying out!

Nov 3, 2015 8:26 PM in response to misslil324

Hmmm.... are you sure about that? That if I was blocked, it would still say delivered? I really am not sure anymore at this point!

It went through as a blue iMessage a couple days ago, but still doesn't say "delivered" at the bottom... (it's still blue too, it didn't turn to a green regular text message) so basically it's safe to assume he never got it.... right?

Nov 2, 2015 7:53 PM in response to NeedYourHelp1

Yeah he's not geting any of them. I was concerned about seeming like a lunatic too after trying to re-send several of my texts, but he doesn't seem to ever get any of them, not even at a later time. I definitely don't think it's that you're blocked because it would say delivered if that were the case. I thought that too for A sec but he's been texting me so that would just be stupid. This is really driving me crazy though.

Someone help us out here!!!

Aug 15, 2017 9:41 AM in response to NeedYourHelp1

Even though Apple says that a text is delivered and therefore blocked , this isn't true. The message is delivered. When it doesn't say delivered someone has blocked you. They may have done this accidentally or on purpose. In my case, I'm pretty sure it was on purpose. This can be checked out by sending texts back and forth on two iPhones. Also, green messages go back and forth with people using the Androids.

Mar 21, 2017 6:00 AM in response to NeedYourHelp1

I read through this entire conversation I can reassure everyone that you weren't blocked. if you were blocked the message will say delivered but the receiver will never get the message. Likewise, if you try to call it should only ring once and then go to voicemail. I'm having the same problem but I'm using a MacBook Pro. I don't know why this is happening but I can at least say you're not blocked.

Feb 24, 2017 12:53 PM in response to Jade1948

Jade1948 wrote:

I have sent a text message to someone I regularly text. It doesn't say delivered at the end. How do I know if they received it?

Was this an iMessage (blue)? Or an SMS message (green)? If it was an SMS message, you won't see a "Delivered" message. However, SMS is about the most reliable mode of messaging. SMS will go through even when you don't have enough cell signal to make a call.

iMessage doesn't show "delivered" on sent texts. How come?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.