Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Apple TV Download

Today I got the new Apple TV with Siri remote. I was told by the store manager there's two versions a 32gb and 64gb and both I could download movies from my iTunes purchases to watch offline.

great ideal for when I go aboard to hotels where a portal loging is required to access the wifi which the apple TV don't give a pop up option to sign into such networks.

SO because I can download movies to shows I've purchased previously and be able to watch them offline I made a purchase for the 64gb

now I'm about to throw the thing out the window so if you would like to save this Apple TV from destruction please tell me if I was mis informed or how to use this feature

thank you

New Apple tv

Posted on Nov 3, 2015 12:34 PM

33 replies

Jan 12, 2017 5:40 AM in response to macmanlesta

Although this feature may not be native to the appleTV, here are a few options to use your appleTV on the go:

1) if you travel with you Mac, you can share the network connection from of your Mac with the AppleTV (or any other device for that matter). Once your Mac is on external power, it will keep the connection open... even when its closed. I know this is not an ideal solution as it requires you to travel with your Mac, but if you already travel with your Mac (like me), this will allow you use your appleTV with internet. Look in system settings under sharing to turn on/off connection sharing.

2) Using your Mac, iPhone, or iPad you can stream content directly to the appleTV without any internet or wifi connection on the AppleTV. So you could download connect to one of your apple devices using an app like OrganiDoc, DropBox, or other app allows you to save media offline. Once on your device, you can stream to AppleTV completely offline. Alternatively you can access internet content (hulu, netflix, etc.) on another apple device (iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc.) and stream to AppleTV even if AppleTV is not on wifi or internet.

3) There are a growing number of apps for the AppleTV that will let you save media content offline (on the appleTV hard drive) take a look at https://youtu.be/c8i5BJvXnps

Hope this helps.

Jan 13, 2017 11:28 AM in response to macmanlesta

This is a crying shame. I, too, discovered only after the fact that Apple TV 4 no longer downloads iTunes purchases. The earlier models did, however. It was just one episode or so at a time, but once you started an episode you purchased, Apple TV would download it in full, and then you could go back to it later on and continue watching even if you were offline. It's beyond anyone's comprehension that earlier models can do what the latest generation can't. Now, with Apple TV, you start watching a TV show or movie purchase, and if you pause and go back later, you'll need to be connected because it's streamed and not available offline. Therefore, the only advantage Apple TV 4 offers is that users can select and install more apps and customize their device more than before, but iTunes purchases should be able to be downloaded for offline viewing, that should be the absolute minimum!

Jan 17, 2017 10:54 PM in response to wp_in_c

Yes, I'm about to use my apple tv for the first time doing a live public movie broadcast. Have good internet at least so should run smoothly. Just wanted to say check out infuse for apple tv and other devices. It allows you to stream from locally stored movies from a pc. Might aid in overcoming your troubles. I do think apple needs to rethink and allow customers to stream from local storage. I don't like relying on internet especially tonight. I'm nervious.

May 13, 2017 4:07 PM in response to macmanlesta

Wish I'd seen this sooner, purchased Apple TV today. I asked if you could download purchases and then play offline two employees one being a manager confirmed this was the case. It's was purely for his reason that I bought it, to take with me on my travels. Highly disappointed given this was the second bit of incorrect information given in store in two days, the other resulted in my wife's phone being made unusable. Trust in the information being given in store now totally shot to shreds!

Sep 23, 2017 1:15 PM in response to macmanlesta

Sadly I don't anticipate seeing this as a feature.

The device you really needed was AppleTV 1 (though no longer supported in iTunes for syncing.

It was ahead of its time, allowed iTunes syncing and direct store rentals/purchases - it came with 40GB or 160GB hard drives.

Sadly Apple now think everyone has fast always connected internet and they moved to more cloud based services with ATV 2, 3, 4 and 4 (4k).

If you have a laptop with you running iTunes you could potentially download items to that and create a local ad hoc wifi network to which AppleTV could connect and then use 'Home Sharing' to stream from Mac/PC to the AppleTV.

Sep 23, 2017 1:17 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

macmanlesta wrote:

Apple need to look into connectivity issues when connecting to a network that requires a username and password for a portal.

with all other devices a pop up appears allowing you to login

Why, it works for me, what are you doing?

The OP is talking about those instances where you need to login via a web page to access hotel/corporate internet - AppleTV 1-4 could not do this, i doubt anything has changed but I don't have the latest yet to test.

New Apple TV Download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.