Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 Dolby Surround sound out of Sync

Hi All,

I have an sync issue with dolby surround (5.1, AC3) sound on the new Apple TV 4 connected to my receiver. It doenst matter which source I use (Netflix, iTunes, Plex) all videos with dolby sound are out of sync. When I change the Apple TV settings to always use stereo, there are no issues. I also tryed changing the settings to 16-bit sound without any luck.

I noticed that it takes about a second for my receiver to start receiving and playing audio, after I hit play, or pause and resume.

I also can remember that in the past I had similair problems with 5.1 sound on my ATV1 and / or 2. Is anyone having the same issues?

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 1:03 AM

16 replies

Nov 5, 2015 12:51 AM in response to iMartien

If it is a Netflix then the Apple TV will be most likely transcoding it from Dolby Digital Plus to regular Dolby Digital.

My receiver cannot decode Dolby Digital Plus, and if I try to watch Netflix with my Chromecast or even thru my TV provider's STB connected to my receiver I can get only stereo, yet when watching Netflix via my Apple TV 3 and now ATV 4, I get a standard Dolby Digital stream that my receiver can decode.

So the Apple TV not simply doing a passthru.

Nov 6, 2015 2:14 AM in response to Jpdev001

My receiver doenst accept audio via HDMI, so it is connected via my TV via optical: ATV4 -> HDMI -> TV -> OPTICAL -> AV

I was affraid this was the issue...

Does anybody knows I an HDMI to TOS-Link extractor can fix my issue? This device wil split the audio from HDMI to a TOS-Link:

https://www.conrad.nl/nl/speaka-professional-av-extractor-1x-hdmi-bus-2x-cinch-k oppeling-toslink-bus-odt-hdmi-bus-1089872.html?WT.mc_id=gshop&gclid=CI3LtbGL-cgC FYqRGwodPdkObw&WT.srch=1 (link is in dutch)

Or do these kind of splitters also create an delay, resulting in the same out of sync issues?

Apr 4, 2016 9:37 AM in response to iMartien

Count me in on this problem. I am having this audio video out-of-sync issue too when streaming. I have a Sound Bar hooked up, but mainly use the TV speakers. I recently upgraded my modem from 100 mbps Motorola ARRIS SBG6580 with n Wifi to 960 Mbps Netgear C7000 1900AC with AC Wifi. Issue seemed to first occur with Modem upgrade in March 2016 and Apple TV firmware update in March 2016, but I am not sure what part of system or system change is causing the problem. My SpeedTest results are consistently good 10-30 ms ping, 220 Mbps Download, 22 Mbps Upload. I called Netgear and they had me reset my Modem MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit in bytes) setting from 1500 to 1450 (they claimed it should be between 1400 to 1500). This seemed to help some but not totally resolve the problem. Still looking into whether the problem is Apple TV hardware/firmware/settings, Netgear Modem hardware/firmware/settings, or Time Warner Cable Network related. Intererested in all thoughts and suggestions.

Nov 10, 2016 2:17 AM in response to ib0r1s

Anyone found the solution to this?

Just got an Apple TV 4 and with audio settings at default (auto/best) sound is about one second out of sync with picture, from all apps it seems (Netflix and others). Just enough for lack of lip sync to be really bothersome.

Apple TV connected with HDMI to a new AV receiver that supports all formats, auto-recognize Dolby Surround from the Apple box, does not have this issue with any other HDMI connected sources (cable box, media center PC, Roku streaming stick). Network connection is Ethernet to a 250 Mbps low latency cable internet connection.

Apple TV 4 Dolby Surround sound out of Sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.