Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 - Home Sharing Slideshows - Scratching my head...

Hey guys, I've had my Apple TV 2 for a million years. I love it. One of the features I enjoy the most is the home sharing+itunes+Apple TV (2)+Computers+photos combo to put my 20k+ photos on the big screen, as slideshows (mostly using Ken Burns) with music using an iTunes playlist and screen saver (normally floating theme)...

So, I got my new 32GB flashy Apple TV 4 and...

- Home sharing seems to work fine

- I can share all that content without problems, as far as I can tell

but:

- The slideshow music settings are gone... in ATV2 you set a playlist in the slideshow settings and you're all set. ATV4 = nowhere to be found.

- Photos show out of order sometimes, not consistently (?). They start fine, then out of nowhere, it randomly presents some pictures out of the album. Seems like a bug to me.

- I can only start a slideshow from the beginning. (in my Apple 2 I can choose a photo and run the slideshow from that point). Seems like another bug to me.

(I haven't checked slideshows in the Photos app, because I can't care less about putting my stuff in the cloud, to be honest. Same with the music stuff.)

So, I'm not a happy camper right now. I'm I missing something or this is a really half baked $150 bucs thing? This feels more like a downgrade than an upgrade so far except for being faster (and I'll leave the whining about the remote control, the keyboard situation, siri, bluetooth for another time).

Thanks!

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 8:00 AM

60 replies

Apr 8, 2017 4:32 PM in response to Padmaker

So, I started this thread on Nov 4, 2015. Today is April 8, 2017... We still can't set the music to play with slideshow. We still can't start a slideshow from any photo other than the 1st one (even if you select a photo and start it, it goes back and starts from #1 - terrible). Both things we were able to do in ATV2 and ATV3 (can't remember on ATV1). How pathetic is that? I don't want to hear about workarounds either.

Lucky me, I kept my ATV2. Even luckier me, I bought a Roku. The ATV4, I plug it in once in a while to see if they fixed all these things, then it goes back to useless gadgets box

Jun 9, 2017 7:00 AM in response to mandrieu

Man I wished I read through these 4 pages of commentary and reports regarding the limitations of ATV4 before my purchase of 3 ATV4's. Mandrieu, I share your same desires and wanted to leverage various size displays with various themes. Finding out I couldn't sync music has been a pain as well, cuz like most of the posts here - I judged my purchase of the ATV4's on my ATV2. It appears that I need to wait on a developing 3rd party app. I hope they developers include the ability to recognize Smart Folders in the MacOS - another frustrating part of the Home Sharing we can't take advantage of - why have the tag feature if it can't be recognized (another thread for another time).

Jun 15, 2017 1:54 AM in response to lou_can

I have a Dream.

I have my photos stored in so many folders and I would like to be able to choose to see together the "A" folder and the folder "C", or folder "M"... while I can now see or just a folder or all together. And then, my dream would be that iTunes would allow me to choose whether to listen to the playlist "A" and the "C" playlist ... and not just a playlist or all of them together. Then I keep dreaming I want to be able to see the song title while I watch the slideshow. It's the year 2017 After Christ ... can you implore these banality? And there is no app that can do it.
Obviously I want to improvise the slideshow when I'm horrified on the couch ... I do not want to mount the slideshow and save a project ... I want to improvise it, associate the music I want and the photos I want. Vivid enough to see realized this dream?

Jun 17, 2017 1:41 PM in response to appletired

Amen!

With all of the photos & music being created - I can't believe there isn't a dynamic means of combining the ability to mix and match these aspects dynamically. What else are you going to do with this content? The days of boring the family to watch vaca photos or just sitting around listening to music are long past. Most of the these pics mean something and the music has the ability to draw feeling and emotions out of us. Why wouldn't you have this content streaming continuously (with various themes) anywhere, anytime? Where are the tools?

Jun 19, 2017 1:27 AM in response to lou_can

Mrmc offers the ability to select folders via smb but updating, if you have many files, is very slow and the selection is tortuous which passes the will.
Infuse offers the ability to select folders but only works with videos. Why is there no such thing for Images and Music? Because? Of course if there was not Apple it would be the desert but you could do something more.

Aug 29, 2017 5:28 AM in response to mandrieu

I want to join in. I just bought my ATV4 to replace my old friend, ATV1. The first thing I wanted to test was the ability to watch a slideshow with selected music (playlist). I'm using Homesharing not iCloud. And when I found out that this was not doable. I started to search the Forum and found this thread. It's amazing that such a useful feature has been removed. I really hope that it will come back in the future.

I then thought, well, I could start the selected Playlist before I start the Slideshow. And this worked for me, but.....when I during the slideshow wanted to pause it, guess what, I'll pause the Playlist!!! If I then hit the Pause button again I'll pause the Slideshow. The third hit on the pause button will then resume the Slideshow, but not the Playlist. The Playlist will be forever paused.

Sep 13, 2017 2:14 PM in response to mandrieu

Best way to fix this "known bug"... buy a cheaper device, the Chromecast ONLY to put the right photos in the right place, with a very useful screen... clock, weather information... with a very nice slideshow... I used only for photos (and I payed for it!!!, my living room is better with the television working right with my life playing in the screen...).

When I need to watch or play... I took the apple tv remote and thanks God... my TV and both device are HDMI CEC compliant... so the TV switch automatically to Apple TV.

But really... photos on Apple TV... it-s was place there by enemy...

Nov 4, 2015 9:14 AM in response to mandrieu

Apple seems to have a strategy of removing lots of features with a new version of a product, then adding back the ones that people care/complain about (iMovie, iWork applications, etc.). So, definitely submit feedback and let it know that yo miss that feature. Hopefully enough other people care that they will add it back.

It could also just be a bug or oversight, but again, letting them know through feedback or a bug report is the way to get it added back.

Nov 15, 2015 11:56 PM in response to mandrieu

Thanks Mandrieu,

A nicely succinct description of the problem. I have exactly the same issues, it is maddening.

But before reading your post I had called Apple Care. What I heard:

- "known bug"

- "Apple TV 4 a completely new platform for TV (in other words, not for slideshows"

- "you are using a function that not many are interested in"

- "you should send feedback to Apple to highlight this bug and hope that engineers will take note"

- "since this is a new platform for developers, please wait until someone brings out a slideshow app"

I thought I needed to share this since I found the responses condescending (although, unfortunately, not entirely unexpected).

Stupid customer that I am (paying € 250,- and then begging to fix basic features), I filed a feedback with my complaints.

Apple, if you read this, shame on you!

Nov 16, 2015 6:58 AM in response to samaki

Thanks for your comment. I filed feedback with these issues too. If this is a "completely new platform for TV", then it should be a new product, not a new version of an existing one, especially if you are silently eliminating existing features. Taking my money without letting me know what I lose is not cool. Some might call that misleading a customer. I gave away my ATV 3, but still have my ATV 2. I may return this ATV 4 thing, go back and use the ATV 2 while I check out other options

Nov 23, 2015 7:19 PM in response to mandrieu

I found a simple workaround to play music during a photo sideshow. Go into the Music app and start playing one of your playlists. Then just click the Menu key 4 times to get back out to the Apps list. Note that your music is still playing. The just go into the Photos app and start your slideshow.

Voila! Pictures and music!

Music should continue to play over any App that does not generate its own sound.

Nov 25, 2015 8:29 AM in response to IndyJones27

Yep, thanks, that works but it's still a very sub-par user experience, and you need to do the reverse when you want to stop playing the slideshow. It forces you to manually set, start and stop 2 separate apps as a workaround for what was just a setting and was working properly in 1 app in ATV 2 and ATV 3 (never had an ATV1, so I can't say). Lame, to say the least. Hopefully they'll fix it soon, along with many of the other issues being reported

Apple TV 4 - Home Sharing Slideshows - Scratching my head...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.