Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATV4 homesharing 1080p buffering/file-loading issues

ATV4 1080p stops playing every 2 .5 minutes showing (buffering).using home sharing

ATV3 hooked up to the same gigabit hub does not stop and has no problems on the same connection

ATV4 when playing apple downloaded movie " inside out" 1080p
(home sharing) stops playing after 2.5min with the swirling buffer symbol, does not continue with movie after that (on its own)

resetting/ re-booting the ATV4 makes no difference.

ATV3 same movie, same connection, has no problems

Question, since this is not a hardware issue, is it an issue between ATV4 and iTunes 12.3.1.23 64 bit ?

not sure if this should be addressed to iTunes or TV4.

Regards

Apple TV (4th generation), tvOS

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 5:02 AM

I have the same issue. I have reverted to my ATV 3 for now. I cannot watch my iTunes 1080p downloaded movies, through Home Share, on the new ATV 4 without buffering every few minutes. I have PC and Mac based iTunes Home Share servers on a gig network. When I put my ATV 3 back into my system, all is well. While swapping between the ATV 3 and ATV 4, I noticed that video quality through the older ATV 3 is much better than through the newer ATV 4 even though they are both set for 1080p, which is a bummer. Meta data from my movies and TV shows from non-iTunes sources, is not displayed correctly as well. I get the impression that the new ATV 4 was optimized for streaming from the internet and not as a player for home based video libraries, which is another bummer. Over all I am disappointed in the new Apple TV 4.

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2015 5:02 AM in response to biblicalprofessor

I have the same issue. I have reverted to my ATV 3 for now. I cannot watch my iTunes 1080p downloaded movies, through Home Share, on the new ATV 4 without buffering every few minutes. I have PC and Mac based iTunes Home Share servers on a gig network. When I put my ATV 3 back into my system, all is well. While swapping between the ATV 3 and ATV 4, I noticed that video quality through the older ATV 3 is much better than through the newer ATV 4 even though they are both set for 1080p, which is a bummer. Meta data from my movies and TV shows from non-iTunes sources, is not displayed correctly as well. I get the impression that the new ATV 4 was optimized for streaming from the internet and not as a player for home based video libraries, which is another bummer. Over all I am disappointed in the new Apple TV 4.

Nov 5, 2015 7:04 AM in response to biblicalprofessor

I dont think it has something to do with iTunes. Im having these buffering issues with homesharing and when i use the app simpleX with the "force direct play" option activated. In both ways the internal Media Player is used. If i choose the Plex App without direct play it doesnt uses the internal player and i dont have the issues.

The ATV3 was perfect for videos with homesharing cause it loaded about 8GB in the video cache, it seems like the ATV4 doesnt work like that, unfortunately.

Nov 5, 2015 4:31 PM in response to biblicalprofessor

I am experiencing the same issue with Home Sharing streaming over WiFi on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands using the latest Belkin AC router. On 5ghz band a 1080p movie starts streaming for 10-15 secs and then it goes to the infinite buffering. I need to restart the device to restore the connection. With 2.4 band I get better results but eventually it goes into an infinite buffering as well.

Surely enough ATV 3 and ATV 2 work just fine from the same spot on both bands. Called Apple Care, they said I was the first one to report an issue with Home Sharing streaming problems. They need more people to call before the issue will be escalated to engineering team.

Dec 8, 2015 4:11 PM in response to biblicalprofessor

I'm having the same issue. I owned two ATV3s and loved them. We purchased two ATV4s to replace them and they're both exhibiting the same problem playing movies over Home Sharing. The file progress scrubber will look as if it's making progress loading the file, then it will jerk backwards as if the data isn't really loading. Both units are connected to a wired ethernet connection. I'm frustrated, but trying to keep in mind that bugs are inevitable and I'm hoping for a fix soon.

Please remember to submit feedback at http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html as this is just a user forum. The more people that report the issue, the more likely a fix will be found / released. (I linked back to this thread in my feedback submission.)

Nov 7, 2015 12:46 PM in response to smett

The 4core intel server here has routinely and simultaneously streamed to 3 ATV3's

with up to a 50% cpu load, no problems, this tells me the ATV4 was released without checking

it for core functionality (Stutters and stops when running high contrast animations from Pixar and DreamWorks streamed through home share gigabit

with the atv4 running solo) .. A pretty serious issue to overlook.

Nov 8, 2015 7:12 PM in response to biblicalprofessor

+1 for same issue. I hope Apple are watching.

Streaming HD movies purchased on iTunes from iMac to new Apple TV via home sharing (and Time Capsule router), stutters, pauses, buffering. Unwatchable.

SD movies are OK, no interruptions. AppleTV 3 works flawlessly on HD and SD.

Rebooted everything on network, but no improvements. Seems like a critical bug at this point. Hopefully to be rectified.

Nov 9, 2015 11:35 AM in response to RB66

I thought I was having WIFI/Network issues, but hooked up my ATV3 and the streaming worked fine. This is beyond annoying b/c I cannot even get Apple Music to stream half of the time without major delays. Every time I try streaming TV Shows and Movies from my purchased section, more often than not, they get into an infinite buffering mode. Maybe the update released today will correct these issue. I sure hope so.

Also, why in the world do they not list TV Shows' seasons in order. I have to go to "view in iTunes" to access all the seasons I own for a few series. It makes no sense.

ATV4 homesharing 1080p buffering/file-loading issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.