Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing radio app on Apple TV 4?

Hi all,

I just bought a brand new Apple TV 4 and I'm missing this internet radio app

User uploaded file

Has it been removed from the Apple TV? There are a lot of radio stations I really love and would miss them.

Can someone please give me a hint?

Thanks.

Apple TV (4th generation), tvOS

Posted on Nov 6, 2015 3:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2017 8:12 PM

It is a shame that Internet Radio was removed from ATV4. I wanted to share a solution I've found that works well for me. I am using the StreamStation app (StreamStation on the App Store), which I have installed on all my IOS/ATV devices. It lets you specify any publicly available audio stream by entering the url.

The nicest thing is this app uses iCloud to sync between devices. For me, the easiest thing to do was use iTunes on my Mac to discover streams I like. Then I copied the url text for each stream into the StreamStation app on my iPhone. I also grabbed graphics for these stations from the Web. The app lets you add a graphic for each saved stream. After setting up my favorite streams on iPhone, they are available automatically on StreamStation running on the ATV.

The StreamStation app includes native support for Shoutcast, so you can use that to search for streams. But I found that none of my favorite stations are listed on Shoutcast. Fortunately, you can manually enter url's, and from Internet Radio inside iTunes or other sources I was able to find url's for all the things I like to listen to.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2017 8:12 PM in response to exe0

It is a shame that Internet Radio was removed from ATV4. I wanted to share a solution I've found that works well for me. I am using the StreamStation app (StreamStation on the App Store), which I have installed on all my IOS/ATV devices. It lets you specify any publicly available audio stream by entering the url.

The nicest thing is this app uses iCloud to sync between devices. For me, the easiest thing to do was use iTunes on my Mac to discover streams I like. Then I copied the url text for each stream into the StreamStation app on my iPhone. I also grabbed graphics for these stations from the Web. The app lets you add a graphic for each saved stream. After setting up my favorite streams on iPhone, they are available automatically on StreamStation running on the ATV.

The StreamStation app includes native support for Shoutcast, so you can use that to search for streams. But I found that none of my favorite stations are listed on Shoutcast. Fortunately, you can manually enter url's, and from Internet Radio inside iTunes or other sources I was able to find url's for all the things I like to listen to.

Aug 21, 2017 10:37 PM in response to St.Pete

Here's an Apple TV 4 radio app giving you 30.000+ radio stations:

In most countries including the US and UK you get the app at:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/radio-net/id402206359…
For Germany:
https://itunes.apple.com/…/radio-de-der-radiop…/id311762416…
For France:
https://itunes.apple.com/…/radio-fr-musique-ra…/id387352132…
For Austria:
https://itunes.apple.com/…/radio-at-der-radiop…/id375729349…
For Poland:
https://itunes.apple.com/…/radio-pl-radio-int…/id1008799932…

It is free and has no ads. I hope you enjoy it as much as i do. AppAdvice/TV shows a nice preview for this app: https://appadvice.com/tv/app/radio-net/402206359

Feb 6, 2017 10:39 AM in response to exe0

I too just bought the ATV4 late last year and was surprised (and disappointed) to find the internet radio app gone. I've tried some of the solutions here such as The Bat Player, TuneIn Radio, etc., but yeah they're nowhere near what the Internet Radio app had. What I'm doing now is simply air playing Internet Radio from my computer (iTunes for Mac or PC still has it!). If you're not the type who just keeps surfing stations then this might be the solution for you. I don't have problems with the screen saver and I can turn off the volume to the Mac speakers. I haven't noticed any stuttering or connection issues while air playing.

I'm guessing this is one reason why Apple discontinued the app for this new gen ATV as well (of course) to promote/push Apple Music.

Feb 6, 2017 12:08 PM in response to canopusnewbie

I'm afraid you're probably exactly right. Such a shame, for those of us who only listen to one or two local AM (and internet) radio stations for specific programs but would liked to listen to them on our ATVs, a simple and FREE radio app would add value since there's no way that I would subscribe to Apple Music simply to listen to a local AM radio station. And sure, you are correct, AirPlay will also work, but why make someone have to go through all those steps? I wish I could convince the two local stations, both of which have iPhone Apps, to also develop ATV apps, but so far they've ignored my requests.

Feb 7, 2017 6:02 PM in response to Larry Sochrin1

Very true about the extra steps. As well, if I may add, having to have 2 devices to do what ONE device was capable of doing in the past. Apple Music, although it does have some free stations, lacks the variety of internet radio. At least the air play does work and I can still have my internet radio playing through my Apple TV. I have two ATV gen 3 and one ATV gen 4. The two gen 3 models still have the internet radio app and I was thinking of getting another when I realized that what made the MOST sense was to buy an Apple certified refurb Mac Mini. It was only $200 more, but it's a Mac. BEST buy ever for me in terms of a media add-on.

Aug 17, 2017 5:27 PM in response to exe0

August 2017
Just bought Apple TV 4. None of my listener supported internet radio stations turn up for me.
I can input "all Apple music" but get nothing. I can put it from my phone or computer with Air Play, but l liked having direct access via my old Apple TV. The newer version is a lot prettier and easier to use, but it's more important to work for me, NOT just the people trying to jack more money out me. REALLY PO'd here.

Aug 20, 2017 2:29 PM in response to St.Pete

Maybe I misread, but you don't actually enter "all apple music" in the search box. You enter the name or call number of the radio station. "All Apple Music" is just one of the options you see when completing the search (the other option is "My Library" - you have to choose one or the other).

And no need to be PO'd at his point - there are plenty of radio apps to choose from that do exactly what you want, even if they are not "Apple Branded". I Heart Radio is a available on Apple TV, that pretty much has everything, but it's far from the only choice. After you get a better App, you can rearrange the icons to put it up where the "Music" app usually goes.

Aug 22, 2017 9:19 AM in response to Joseph Delaney

Thanks Joseph. When I wrote that query I was still learning the ropes on AppleTV4, and didn't understand the possibilities of the Apps field. Now I see that source station I wanted has its own app, and also that since I'm paying for Apple Music, other applications can be used to bring in virtually any internet or conventional provider. Still seems clunky, but light years better than before.

[Suggestion to Apple: They'd do well to come up with a way to deactivate or activate touch functions on these devices. Just picking up the AppleTV remote often screws up a setting. Same with the phone. Neither likely needs sensitivity all the way to their edges. Admittedly there may be settings, work-arounds, and there's a "safe" place to pick up the AppleTV remote, but the phone's another story.]

Nov 6, 2015 7:02 AM in response to exe0

The "Radio" app is gone, but many of the radio stations are still there, hidden away under the "Music" app. Just go to the Music app and do a search for the station you want, choose "all Apple music" instead of "in my library", and scroll down to the "Stations" section of the search results (you'll see a list of "search suggestions" first, choose the first suggestion to get to the full results screen).

After you play a station, it will appear in the "recently played" section of the Music --> Radio tab so you won't have to search again. You can also do the same thing on your iPhone, iPad, or in iTunes, and it will show up on your Apple TV.

Nov 13, 2015 8:27 AM in response to TCC Bob

Do you have the Apple TV update that came out earlier this week (tvOS 9.01 I believe)? One station stuttered and skipped for me last week, but the update seems to have fixed it. It was a really spotty problem, most stations were fine but that one was unlistenable. I haven't really listened heavily to the problem station since updating so I can't say that it's 100% fixed, but during the brief period when I did listen the problem was gone.

Jan 5, 2016 2:23 PM in response to exe0

Unfortunately while this may work in the US, there are precious few stations available in other territories (I'm in the Netherlands). Previously I could tune into my old Denver stations, BBC radio, Wyoming jazz...none of which seem to be available in the new system. I'm hoping some enterprising developer can resurrect the best aspects of this lost, wonderful app.

Missing radio app on Apple TV 4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.