Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have OSX 10.6.8 and want to add iphone 6s

I have some older hardware MAC Pro that still works like a champ, however i'm running ver 10.6.8 on intel and wanted to download the latest iTunes so i can sync my new iphone6 and do a backup. can someone provide some advise or maybe send me a link for the compatibility download. thanks Doc Surfer

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 6, 2015 6:57 PM

10 replies

Nov 6, 2015 7:07 PM in response to docsurfer760

You would need iTunes 12.3.1 for the 6s to sync via iTunes. And you would need to upgrade to El Capitan (OS X 10.11.1) to install iTunes 12.3.1. Do you meet the hardware requirements? Also, when upgrading OS X you have to be aware that certain apps you use today may not be compatible with the latest OS X. Many you can upgrade for free, some you can't.

Mac Hardware Requirements for El Capitan

For details about your Mac model, click the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, choose About This Mac, then choose More Info. These Mac models are compatible with OS X El Capitan:

• MacBook (Early 2015)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)

Nov 7, 2015 7:48 AM in response to docsurfer760

Check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher

Your Mac needs:

OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed

2 GB or more of memory (More is better - 4 GB minimum seems to be the consensus)

8 GB or more of available space

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

El Capitan 10.11 Compatibility information

Do a backup before installing, preferable 2 backups on 2 different drives.

Nov 8, 2015 3:03 PM in response to docsurfer760

What version of iTunes are you running now? I'm not sure about the 6s, but the 6 will sync with iTunes 11.4, as long as you don't allow iTunes to handle any iOS updates. Although I'm guessing that the 6s cannot, in order to force people to install the mess that is iTunes 12.

If you can install Lion or Mountain Lion, you have the option of buying iMazing and using it for backups.

Apr 4, 2016 9:31 PM in response to docsurfer760

I had the same issue, and as I simply did not want to upgrade 10.6.8 to anything above for various reasons, I decided to do the following: Install Parallels Desktop (9) for Mac plus Windows (8.1), installed the latest iTunes there and moved my complete iTunes Media to an external hard drive (there are many guides to do this online, I used this one: http://goo.gl/npXFvS). So now iPhone (5S, iOS 9) can be synced there and I can keep my "beloved" Mac OS 10.6.8. Not ideal, but may work for someone, at least temporarily. Best, A

Apr 5, 2016 10:59 PM in response to Duetto

Another way is to simply purchase a FireWire 800/Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 external hard drive and install the latest OS X on the external hard drive, boot that drive and update your latest iDevices on the external hard drive.

No need to have to run any Windows software, at all, that way.

I have been doing this for years. I have multiple external drives with, at least 2 redundant copies of each OS X version I use or installed.

This includes multiple copies of my OS X 10.6.8 system, and copies of OS X 10.8, 10.9 and 10.11.

No Windows needed.

Apr 6, 2016 7:22 PM in response to MichelPM

Dear Michel,

thank you so much for pointing out this alternative solution, which I plan to try out. Can you be so kind though to advise, which external hard drives you are using for that purpose, respectively which ones you recommend/worked best for you? Apparently there are a lot of hard drives out there from which you cannot start-up/boot.

And unfortunately there seems to be no way to run 10.6.8 on a partition of a brand new 3TB fusion drive iMac with El Capitan, which I also have. In the past I would always backup my Macbook (with 10.6.8) on a partition of my old iMac, where I always had the latest OS on one partition (and a CCC clone of my Macbook as backup on a second partition, preserving 10.6.8).

Thank you again for your post! Kind regards, A.

Apr 6, 2016 8:40 PM in response to Duetto

Duetto wrote:

Dear Michel,

thank you so much for pointing out this alternative solution, which I plan to try out. Can you be so kind though to advise, which external hard drives you are using for that purpose, respectively which ones you recommend/worked best for you? Apparently there are a lot of hard drives out there from which you cannot start-up/boot.

And unfortunately there seems to be no way to run 10.6.8 on a partition of a brand new 3TB fusion drive iMac with El Capitan, which I also have. In the past I would always backup my Macbook (with 10.6.8) on a partition of my old iMac, where I always had the latest OS on one partition (and a CCC clone of my Macbook as backup on a second partition, preserving 10.6.8).

Thank you again for your post! Kind regards, A.

All hard drives can be made bootable.

Same goes for SSDs and high speed read/write USB flash drives.

It is a function of the disk setup process and the boot code that is in the OS software installation process.

There are NO "special" drives that are bootable.

WIth any new Mac, you cannot run an older OS X version that has not been originally installed.

If you want to run Snow Leopard on your new Mac, there is a workaround that involves using virtual environment software, like either purchasing Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion or the free, open source Virtualbox.

Plus you need to use Snow Leopard Server that is still available on disc from Apple for $20. You need to call Apple at 1-800- MYAPPLE to get this version.

You install one of these virtual environments on to your Mac, launch it. Then you insert the Snow Leopard Server disc into your optical drive and install Snow Leopard Server into the virtual enviroment. Once Snow Leopard Server installs and launches, you can reinstall all of your OS X Snow Leopard versions of all your third party software.

You can install all of this on your Mac's internal hard drive or if you used CarbonCopyCloner to clone your current system to an external hard drive, you can install all of this to an external drive, too!

As far as hard drives go, I would stick with purchasing online OWC's Mercury Pro Drives (macsales.com).

Get either a large capacity SSD in a enclosure or standard large capacity, external hard drive in an enclosure.

Not knowing what Mac you have, get a drive that has both Thunderbolt and USB 3 connections.

Having extra, redundant connections for an external hard drive is always better.

Also, before purchasing, call them about your Mac model and any of their drives with Thunderbolt connections.

Some users here mentioned that there were issues with the Thunderbolt connection and new Macs with El Capitán.

Call them, tell them your Macs specs and let them recommend the Mecury Pro drive that will work with your Mac.

Ask them if there were any issues with the Thunderbolt enclosures.

Good Luck!

Apr 8, 2016 4:27 AM in response to MichelPM

Dear Michel,

thank you very much for your detailed instructions. I have an older MacBookPro8,2, upgraded to the max. with memory from OWC, so I know them. And I have a very new iMac with 3TB fusion drive (32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3) with AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB. Originally I tried to clone my Macbook to a partition of my iMac (like I did in the past with my old iMac, which had 3 partitions, one with OS 10.6.8, another with just date files and a third one with the latest OS). According to all "geniuses" I talked to, you can neither have 3 partitions on a fusion drive nor have a partition with 10.6.8. So I guess I will have to try your suggestion with external had drives, which I am actually using now for clone backups of my Macbook. It will take me some time to figure out the above, but I will try. With thanks again and best wishes, A.

I have OSX 10.6.8 and want to add iphone 6s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.