Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i determine the version of i tunes, on my older classic (120gb) without connecting to the computer or i tunes ?

I have been trying to get my music back into I tunes , as a new computer was purchased and the geek squad was unable to do the date transfer as planned. so my ipod has the library, but I do not want to chance losing my 16,500 songs ...nor do I like the newer version of I tunes they installed ... so help please !!!

iPod classic, classic 120 gb 8 years old

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 6:40 AM

90 replies

Nov 7, 2015 6:51 AM in response to rowdog44

Your question is not really clear. an iPod classic has no iTunes version.

If you need to extract the music from the iPod Classic, you have two options, Either set the iPod to Disc mode in iTunes and extract the music through Windows Explorer or use a 3rd party app to do so iTunes is not really involved in this case.

Once your music is out of the iPod, you will have to rebuild your iTunes library, and then re-sync to the iPod.

http://www.wikihow.com/Copy-Music-from-Your-iPod-to-Your-Computer

iExplorer

https://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

Nov 7, 2015 6:56 AM in response to Phil0124

You should be able to locate the iTunes .EXE and do a right-click "Properties" on the .EXE ... one of the tabs that appears in the popup window should display the iTunes .EXE version - which should effectively be the iTunes version that you had installed.

Note however; that every time iTunes is updated, it adds support for the newer iOS devices. If that isn't a concern, you should be fine to downgrade the iTunes applications.

Few things to keep in mind when downgrading:

• after uninstalling, restart the PC.
  • sometimes, the iTunes USB devices aren't uninstalled. This means that the older iTunes installer may fail or skip downgrading the mobile device drivers which results in device disconnections or failure to sync. You can remove the newer device by uninstalling the drivers from Device Manager and selecting the Uninstall Driver option. If the devices aren't displayed in Device Manager, you may need to add the DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES in the PC system environment variables. Here's a link to an WinXP articles on how to do that ... yes, it's valid for WinV, Win7, Win8, Win10 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315539)

Nov 7, 2015 7:00 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124,

I think rowdog44 is looking to do a Transfer Purchases once the desired downgraded version of iTunes is install on the PC and/or restore a backed up version of the PC iTunes library.

@rowdog44:

Keep in mind that the current iTunes library database/files will have been upgraded to the latest iTunes format. You will need to restore from the copy the GeekSquad used from your old system drive.

Nov 7, 2015 7:48 AM in response to rowdog44

See also Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device. You can recover your media into any version of iTunes that will connect to the classic, but realistically you want the most recent version of 10 or 11 if you don't like 12. See Apple - Support - Downloads for a selection. When downgrading iTunes you will want to delete the iTunes Library.itl file that has been created in your iTunes folder as it can only be read by same version of iTunes that created it or a later version. If the library is in the standard path of User's Music\iTunes then iTunes will make a new empty library for you automatically, otherwise you will be prompted to choose or create one.

tt2

Nov 7, 2015 12:57 PM in response to H Gagne

i'm in a bit over my head here , and do appreciate the posts offered to help ....🙂

my new computer Lenovo ..w / windows 10, had the latest I tunes installed by geek squad

after they told me they kept running into corrupt files when trying to do the data transfer from the old HD..

which of course had my entire music library (iTunes, unsure which version) set up as I wanted it and so

I gave them my backup ext HD which they got into the new I tunes ,

however,

I was a bit sloppy early on in the backup process (about 7 years of backing up) and after a week of reconfiguring artists, artwork, album covers etc

and barely 15% complete , I thought I could re-do all of it, configured as it is, and as I want it, on the ipod ...

I figured it would be a smoother transfer if I re-installed the version of I tunes that my classic was last synched to...though it is sounding like I have a much different idea of how this would all actually process ....

the ext HD was short, or geek squad missed something ..either way I am about 500 songs short in the new iTunes library, and determining which out of the 16500 is not so easy either 😕

it is a very small % of music purchased from apple ...I bought hardware/software to get my old vinyl digital, then did likewise for my cassettes

over 55 years of music ...so i'm sure you can appreciate that i'd rather not foul anything up and lose any of it 😮

thanx

Nov 7, 2015 1:11 PM in response to rowdog44

As I said, you can extract all the music that is currently in your iPod. The iTunes version you had on your computer is not really all that relevant in this case.

Your iPod does not hold, or care what the iTunes version on your PC is. And to recreate your library, it really does not matter.

All your artist, album, playlist arrangements will need to be extracted from the iPod along with the music.

The easiest thing to do, is to ignore iTunes completely for now.

Using an extractor application for Windows, to extract the music from the iPod, and into a folder on the computer.

Depending on the software you choose the steps will vary.

You may want to read this User Tip:

Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device

Once your music has been extracted onto the Computer, you will need to re-import it into iTunes. If all went well, iTunes should recreate all Album, artist, and song information from the files extracted.

Nov 8, 2015 5:53 AM in response to Phil0124

thanx Phil ...

not quite as e z as I thought it might be ...

I am assuming that the various programs ..."I-rip",

(which did not download on a test run on my laptop).

"touch-copy" etc are the programs you refer to ...am I safe with any of them

( and recommendations are gladly accepted )

keeping the steps in line, so as not to have I tunes recognize the pod when plugged in, and synch, thus erasing it ?!?

if , as I intend to do, getting an older version of I tunes

which allows me to see the album cover in a playlist, as opposed to now where it shows each song, with the album cover

(is there a way to change that? )

would the best sequence perhaps be to uninstall...get the music on the computer, then re-install the version ?

thanx again for taking the time , I know it is a bit tedious assisting the ol timers

Nov 8, 2015 6:00 AM in response to Phil0124

ooops , responded to you before looking at the link, which had a list of sites , for me it is only music ...do not have anything else on the ipod so again if there were a recommendation ...great ...there is 16,500 songs...which in my head i'm thinking " import all " or some such box to check..let it do it's thing and go on my merry way ... ?!?!? am I being naïve in that regard ?

Nov 8, 2015 6:07 AM in response to rowdog44

Start by installing the version of iTunes that you would prefer to work with. Since you are downgrading you will want to remove the existing iTunes Library.itl file in your iTunes folder so that iTunes can create a new empty library compatible with that older version. While you are at it delete the Album Artwork folder too, other iTunes files will be updated automatically.

Next use step 1 from Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device and then use the last link from the table of recovery tools for a free method to retrieve all of the tracks. The two scripts above can retrieve ratings, play counts and playlists.

tt2

Nov 9, 2015 6:53 AM in response to turingtest2

hope you had a nice weekend fellas ...thanx for watching out for me ....

so, I forget if I mentioned this ... I have a Nano (also 7-8 yrs old ) I intend to use as my trial run(s) to determine it all works, do this on my laptop so as not to create any problem on the PC if I foul any of it up...I have since realized there was a way to setup my playlists , the view , so I suppose going back to the older I tunes version is a non-issue... I have the latest version on the laptop...put 50 -70 songs on the Nano and intend to practice the process as noted I would still ask if any of the programs on the list are recommended ? "touchcopy" seems a likely 1st try, unless I am told otherwise...

barring any major issues and if/when I get to this point ...the current I tunes library ( on my PC ) and the crux of the issue , has as mentioned , "most" of my music ...falls short about 500 songs ....should I clear that library, before going thru the transfer from the main ipod ? in essence work with a clean slate ? and does that pose any other potential problems ? digging into the computer's files and such, admittedly eludes me at times , more so now w/ windows 10 which has a different look then I am accustomed to ...and again I appreciate the patience and assistance

Nov 9, 2015 8:29 AM in response to rowdog44

For non-IOS devices the iLounge Article is a fairly straightforward and free process to recover the media in one hit. Some of the other tools are better if you want to routinely and selectively extract media. I've used TouchCopy myself in the past, but it isn't free. I've tried to avoid recommending software which isn't upfront about cost, but I haven't personally tested every item that I've listed. I wrote the scripts that extract ratings, play counts and playlists. They should do the job once the media is in the library.

tt2

Nov 9, 2015 11:22 AM in response to turingtest2

tt2

if, I understand it correctly ... "non- IOS " means NOT apple !?! correct ?

I am working w/an apple product ...Ipod , older as mentioned but apple just the same ...so, does that matter ?

I am o k with the $ 20 - 25.00 fee I have seen from the sites I have viewed and thought might work... more of my concern is ease of use and that they are going to do what they say...ie; what I need .... and hoping too that once I push " o k " all the music is going to be transferred, and I don't have to sit there going artist by artist or some such thing ...

i'm about to try a test run on the laptop w/ the "free" version of touch copy, I know it's limited ...and see what happens off the nano

again... I continue to benefit from your input ..thanx

Nov 9, 2015 12:22 PM in response to hhgttg27

o k thanx for the ios clarification ...that article, I think 🙂 hope will not matter ...

I just did the trial run for "touchcopy" !

downloaded 77 songs, from the ol Nano into the new I tunes I installed on the laptop , pretty qwik !

frankly , it went a LOT easier then I thought ...and faster too , relative to my other fumbling with downloads

I am, at this juncture, confident I could do the purchase, get the whole deal ( touchcopy that is ) and do the transfer as planned

2 questions remain

1 - what about the current I tunes? on my PC ,

which has the discombobulated I tunes library from the music the geek squad installed from the ext HD backup ?

2 - a good portion of my music is what I digitalized; from vinyl, cassettes and also my CD collection ... touch copy refers to "illegal" music

does / will the program consider any of those illegal ? the trial run, was all CD's and amazon purchases, and no problem as mentioned

thanx all !

how do i determine the version of i tunes, on my older classic (120gb) without connecting to the computer or i tunes ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.