Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"An unexpected error has occurred" message in my Content tab/page

Each time I click on the "Content" link in the upper right menu (between "Activity" and "People") I get this page:

User uploaded file

I get the same error even going the "Welcome XFox" → "Manage Subscriptions" → "Content" route.

What should I do?

Posted on Nov 8, 2015 3:55 PM

40 replies

Nov 8, 2015 4:56 PM in response to XFox

[still discovering]

Tell us your ActionFlow - in detail - from beginning to end

Start from Restart your Mac...

What has changed since your last joy in using these two pages?

Are these the only two, or can you poke around and find more?

*I cannot recall anything like this that I have seen - intermittent wackiness is sort of common though

Nov 9, 2015 9:28 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

I'm sorry ChitlinsCC but I'm not going to reboot my Mac as a troubleshoot step for this issue…

I'm an "IT guy" and I'm quite confident that 99% of times that a web page print out "an unexpected error has occurred" message it's a server-side problem.

Indeed, I'm getting the same error on another Mac with OS X 10.9.5.

Moreover, I have another Apple ID and if I login to Apple Support Communities with it I can correctly display the Content page on both Macs.

I'm not doing anything strange to trigger the error, I simply try to open the Content page with either of the two ways I've already detailed in the first post of this thread. I'm not getting any other errors poking around the Apple Support Communities website or on other websites as well.

On another forum I would ask an admin to have a look at it but I don't know if this is a feasible solution here… should I open a bug report instead?

Nov 9, 2015 10:12 AM in response to XFox

OK. reboot cannot hurt = the first step of Best Practices Troubleshooting (what if it cleared it up?)

I am in agreement that with your further data provided this is very likely a AppleJiveWare glitch that has become attached to one of your Apple IDs (I can identify several glitches that fall into that category, but this one is new to me)

Another possibility is that the AppleJiveWare (maybe JiveSoftware in general) seems to be very particular about server connectivity - end-to-end - when displaying almost any page, relying heavily on JavaScript client-side computing. MANY of the Red Alert Box errors are 'cannot connect' related - which, BTW, can be safely ignored.

I didn't ask if you were doing anything strange - I asked what your exact steps were = so they might be replicated. I can think of MANY ways to get to that critical point of choosing one of the two different choices you report. What i mainly am getting at is that one has a habitual WorkFlow - same way every time of doing a certain task. I am sure I do it differently than you, so my question would let me test your way.

What exactly would you ask an admin to look FOR? Whether or not it happens to them too? You may well need to get in touch with AppleRealPeople through Apple Support | Contact , but bug reporting is for Developers Only.(did you actually try the link you posted? - even IF you ARE an registered Developer, AppleJiveTeam is NOT part of that deal)

Nov 16, 2015 4:05 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

I'm sorry for taking so long to reply.

Ok, I cannot think of many ways to get to the point where you can follow one of the two route I described but here you are the most detailed action flow I can work out:

1. Open the browser or make it the frontmost application if it's already open.
  2. Create a new empty tab or window.
  3. Type the URL "https://discussions.apple.com/" in the browser address bar and type "Return".
  4. If not already logged, click the "Login" link in the upper left corner next to "Welcome Guest".
  5. In the sign in page, fill in the form with your Apple ID and password and click "Sign In".
  6. Click the "Content" link in the upper right menu (between "Activity" and "People") OR click "Welcome your_Apple_Support_Communities nickname" → "Manage Subscriptions" → "Content".

Yes, I actually followed the link I posted, several times indeed…

User uploaded file

On other forums I would ask an admin to "look at it" and he would presumably contact someone in charge to find and research/fix/report bugs or glitches in the forum's software. In this case, an admin could contact an Apple developer that works on the adaptation of the JiveSoftware that powers this forum or maybe file an internal bug report himself. To be clear, I'm only speculating here since I know nothing of the internal structure and proceedings of the "AppleJiveTeam".

I perfectly know that Apple Bug Reporter is mainly for developers' stuff but it's also one of the best ways to get in touch with Apple engineers and I'm not so sure that "AppleJiveTeam is NOT part of that deal". After all, there is always an "Other" category to try with:

User uploaded file

If no admin is willing to help I'll file a bug report and if it will fail (i.e. I will be told that's not their duty to solve this issue) I'll try to contact (Italian) AppleCare Support but I'm reluctant to try the Support route because I've not been so lucky in the past with some "non-standard" problems like this.

Nov 16, 2015 5:41 PM in response to XFox

Bug Reporter isn't for problems with this site. I will alert the hosts to your issue. In the meantime clear out your browser's cache and see if the problem remains. (Actually given that you already tried multiple browsers that's probably not going to help.) FWIW I get no errors using the content link. It may well be something specific to your profile that is triggering the problem.

tt2

Nov 18, 2015 9:57 AM in response to XFox

Howdy XFox [catching up as well]

tt2 wrote:

Bug Reporter isn't for problems with this site. I will alert the hosts to your issue. In the meantime clear out your browser's cache and see if the problem remains. (Actually given that you already tried multiple browsers that's probably not going to help.) FWIW I get no errors using the content link. It may well be something specific to your profile that is triggering the problem.

tt2

• Bug Reporter is NOT for ASC problems (*)
  • I get no errors following your ActionFlow either
  • tt2 seems to be concurring with my initial theory - things happen to MANY folks here in a variety of ways that can ONLY be this 'attachment' anomaly

(*) If you want to REPORT anything concerning the JiveWare or any other problem regarding any part of the Support site(s), you need to use > Support Feedback

1. Choose "Discussions" from the "Topic Area" pull down menu
  2. put [Content] PAGE is broken for ME, repeatable
  3. put "discussions.app.com/content" in the URL field
  4. put "This is ONE way to get the misbehavior" + the following in the Comments field (the field won't take 'numbering' like a Rich Text editor)

Open the browser or make it the frontmost application if it's already open.
Create a new empty tab or window.
Type the URL "https://discussions.apple.com/" in the browser address bar and type "Return".
If not already logged, click the "Login" link in the upper left corner next to "Welcome Guest".
In the sign in page, fill in the form with your Apple ID and password and click "Sign In".
Click the "Content" link in the upper right menu (between "Activity" and "People") OR

click "Welcome your_Apple_Support_Communities nickname" → "Manage Subscriptions" → "Content".

If you want to, you can repeat the Feedback for your "Manage Subscriptions" issue...

I too will alert our Hosts that you seem to have picked up a "sickness" on your Apple ID

Nov 18, 2015 10:46 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Hi ChitlinsCC,

I already knew and I've used many times in the past the Online Support Feedback form (each time I spot an error in some Apple Support articles… 😁) but I didn't chose to use it this time because Apple "cannot respond to the comments you submit" (as it's written on the page) and I'd like some sort of feedback about this issue resolution.

Nevertheless, I followed your suggestion and, funny enough, as soon as I submitted the form I received an e-mail from Apple with subject "Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed"! 😮

This is the body of the e-mail I received (I can also post the full headers if you like) with my name, surname and e-mail address substituted with "MyName", "MySurname" and "myemail@myprovider.ext":

This an automated message from the Apple group mailer system.

Your message to support_Feedback_-_Discussions@group.apple.com could not be delivered for the following reason: This group does not accept external messages.

Message headers:

Received: from fishwort.apple.com ([17.128.115.129])

by postino.apple.com (Oracle Communications Messaging Server 7.0.5.35.0 64bit

(built Mar 31 2015)) with ESMTP id <0NY000FUIVG85MB0@postino.apple.com> for

support_Feedback_-_Discussions@group.apple.com; Wed,

18 Nov 2015 10:02:32 -0800 (PST)

Received: from relay3.apple.com ([17.128.113.83])

(built Mar 31 2015)) with ESMTP id <0NY0008QOVG4SFP3@postino.apple.com> for

X-V-ID: 6f718d48-56f1-4e99-950f-742e07936a83

X-V-CD: 0

X-V-R-CD: 9b5e516a34ffb876c1cc9e9e6b4a0ee9

X-V-E-CD: 13b8050feb2d97ceeacae0583e7a5555

X-V-T-CD: 48b7b4f5defa21912133cae3ce0bb421

X-V-A:

Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 10:02:32 -0800

X-AuditID: 11807153-f79a96d00000143c-1f-564cbd384193

Received: from sanjuan.corp.apple.com (sanjuan.corp.apple.com [17.34.147.165])

by relay3.apple.com (Apple SCV relay) with SMTP id 49.75.05180.83DBC465; Wed,

To: support_Feedback_-_Discussions@group.apple.com

Message-id:

<501220958.2433.1447869752717.JavaMail.psadmp@sanjuan.corp.apple.com>

Subject: "Content" page is broken for me, repeatable. (Discussions)

MIME-version: 1.0

Content-type: multipart/mixed;

boundary="----=_Part_2432_501214134.1447869752717"

X-Brightmail-Tracker:

H4sIAAAAAAAAA+NgFlrMLMWRmVeSWpSXmKPExsUiqDR5qa7FXp8wg1k7dCye7bzH6sDo8Wf+

UZYAxigum5TUnMyy1CJ9uwSujAtzVrAWfOCu+Px5JVMD4wPOLkZODgkBE4l7N28yQdhiEhfu

rWfrYuTiEBLYzyjxof8lM0iCTUBRYsOT/2wgtoiAkcTfeyeAGjg4eAUCJe5/tQIJCws4S5zZ

f5wdxOYVEJQ4OfMJC4jNLBAiMXHGUfYJjJyzkKRmIUnNAprELKAusX6eEERYW2LZwtfMCxhZ

VjEKFKXmJFYa6yUWFOSk6iXn525iBHm5oTB4B+OfZVaHGAU4GJV4eBMWe4cJsSaWFVfmHmKU

4GBWEuHVrvYJE+JNSaysSi3Kjy8qzUktPsSYzMEiMJFZSjQ5HxiAeSXxhiYmBibGxmbGxuYm

5qQJK4nz1hV5hQkJpCeWpGanphakFsFsYeLglGpg3Lb6VLKYvdtF3aWWWjF1ytP3VR7i3MyY

2M6+hOGJx8QHMbFFe8sOHWq9tebew2iJx5JcNXObLn6S182Ua9q8oyu6UJSjb8Y5jbNJ8pIa

dVNfPrgYL7MtZseXpx7Hc00kj/uZTgm7KS1tFn8iK69Tm0f+qO/RfNXN3/f+PJW+kKF18avf

D4JClViKMxINtZiLihMBhW3gWDYCAAA=

Precedence: List

Sender: support_Feedback_-_Discussions@group.apple.com

List-ID: <support_Feedback_-_Discussions@group.apple.com>

Now, where I'm supposed to report this? 😁

Maybe I could use the same form but choosing a different topic area, let's say "Other"… I'll let you know how it goes! 😀

P.S.

Initially I tried to use the "Insert Raw HTML" function of the advanced editor to insert the e-mail's body text but, even if I correctly see the numbered lines when I'm editing the message, they don't appear in the submitted post. 😕

Nov 18, 2015 11:21 AM in response to XFox

I just tested Feedback using the link to your thread to which I reply as the Web Address URL = no failure notice so far

The odd part is that the internal "Form Submission System" (Submit Form is VERY old tech) would have to FAIL to send the form contents in the "form" of an email to:

its chosen recipient [ support_Feedback_-_Discussions@group.apple.com ]

FROM the sender { see emphasis below }

Received: from fishwort.apple.com ([17.128.115.129])

(built Mar 31 2015)) with ESMTP id <0NY000FUIVG85MB0@postino.apple.com> for

Received: from relay3.apple.com ([17.128.113.83])

(built Mar 31 2015)) with ESMTP id <0NY0008QOVG4SFP3@postino.apple.com> for

= nothing to do with you (or me)

Apple Systems in general seem to be suffering from some malady(s) - more lately than in the past - there have been some "remodeling" tacking place the last couple of months, some obvious, some clearly "behind the curtain" (backend)

Let's test a tad more, then we'll alert the Hosts so that they may elevate to the AppleJiveTeam and/or AppleEngineeers as they see fit.

*BTW, I see no way that your "CONTENT" issue could possibly be related to the FormSubmit email failure

Nov 18, 2015 11:27 AM in response to XFox

ooops! missed a bit of the sender path (continuing where above QUOTE left off

Received: from sanjuan.corp.apple.com (sanjuan.corp.apple.com [17.34.147.165])

by relay3.apple.com (Apple SCV relay) with SMTP id 49.75.05180.83DBC465; Wed,

To: support_Feedback_-_Discussions@group.apple.com

Message-id:

<501220958.2433.1447869752717.JavaMail.psadmp@sanjuan.corp.apple.com>

Subject: "Content" page is broken for me, repeatable. (Discussions)

"An unexpected error has occurred" message in my Content tab/page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.