Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any updates on security certification App Store issue?

I am one of the numerous victims of this weeks security certification problems with apps purchased from the App Store. In my case it is Adobe Photoshop Elements 10. Purchased in 2012, died this week because of this on going issue. Per Adobe, since this was purchased through the Apple App Store, it is Apple who did the licensing, installation, etc and the can not provide me with a serial number even though I have proof of purchase.

This is very, very, very maddening in that I use this program daily.

I know that this same problem is impacting apps from Aspyr and other companies.

Does anybody have any news, updates on fixes???

Thanks!

iBook, iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 10:54 AM

Apple is not here, only end users like you, so no one can give an "official" answer.

However, within the last hour I was able to recover all my non-functional apps, including three from Aspyr and one from a small developer.

1) Do one app at at time "just in case."

2) Sign out of the Mac App store and quit the App Store app:

User uploaded file

3) Delete the non-responsive app from your computer

4) Relaunch the the App Store app and sign in.

5) Click on the Purchases tab, then find the app you deleted. The button to its right should say "Install."

6) Click "Install."

7) Find the reinstalled app in your Applications folder and see if it launches,

That worked for all my problem apps and I am back to 100-percent function. I lost no saved data from the apps I restored.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2015 10:54 AM in response to tw9jd5

Apple is not here, only end users like you, so no one can give an "official" answer.

However, within the last hour I was able to recover all my non-functional apps, including three from Aspyr and one from a small developer.

1) Do one app at at time "just in case."

2) Sign out of the Mac App store and quit the App Store app:

User uploaded file

3) Delete the non-responsive app from your computer

4) Relaunch the the App Store app and sign in.

5) Click on the Purchases tab, then find the app you deleted. The button to its right should say "Install."

6) Click "Install."

7) Find the reinstalled app in your Applications folder and see if it launches,

That worked for all my problem apps and I am back to 100-percent function. I lost no saved data from the apps I restored.

Nov 14, 2015 1:02 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks, Allan, this worked for me on all the apps I found with the issue so far (including PSE 9). 🙂

It is a straight-forward procedure in working with the App Store, and it is nice to see the procedural steps that should be easy for everyone to follow to get their apps back in line and working.

Thanks again! This is why I always turn to the community first when I have an issue or problem.

Nov 26, 2015 1:28 PM in response to Allan Jones

Deleting and reinstalling apps works for some apps, but not for all.

I am still using OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, because i like it and because old 3rd party software that I have needs Rosetta (included in SL) to run.

Many of the apps that I purchased from App Store were fine with SL, but were replaced in App Store with updated versions to run on Lion, Mavericks etc.

When I try to reinstall updated apps the App Store gives a message like '...can't be installed because ..... Mac OSX version 10.9.0 or later is required'.

Mac App Store have deprived me of the use of many of the apps that I haver purchased from them.

Some of files can only be opened with those apps!

APPLE COULD EASILY RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM, and not leave customers with lost apps and files, or expect customers to spend a great deal of time reinstall apps!

I sent a message to Apple Support on 22 Nov, but NO REPLY so far, missed their 48 hours reply-time!

Any ideas on how to alter App Store files on Macs so as to manually change the license expiry dates, or are they encrypted?

Nov 26, 2015 5:53 PM in response to peterfromsutton

I was concerned with that as well for machines running Snow Leopard and Lion. I made note of it in another post, but unfortunately did not in this post. Do you have any back ups or saved versions of the deleted apps you can drop the app back into the app folder? As with the one issue I mentioned in the quote at the bottom, I could not do a delete and redownload, but upon SECOND launch the app just worked as it should. Sometimes the latest and greatest OS isn't what we necessarily need to use; it is unfortunate that something like this shows up to cause trouble in an otherwise happy ecosystem.

Re: security certificate error on the Mac App Store

Re: Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 STOPPED WORKING

The only situation where there might be a problem in this procedure is with an app that's been updated past usability in the OS X version being used and there is no "last compatible version" mechanism in the version of the App Store in the OS X version being used. The downloadable version would reflect the latest one which is not necessarily compatible with the older OS. I think this would apply to someone using OS X Lion 10.7 and the application to be re-downloaded has advanced past 10.7, as I don't believe the App Store in Lion has the "last compatible version" option, as that was introduced with Mountain Lion 10.8. I'm not sure about this, but something to keep in mind.

and

Apple reissuing a certificate based on SHA-1 may have removed the re-download procedure in a recent occurrence I saw. I had this issue pop up on a machine running OS X Lion 10.7 with an app which has the current downloadable version requiring 10.9. So I couldn't do a redownload with Lion as its App Store doesn't support the "last compatible" version option.

When the app launched it bounced in the dock a few times, disappeared and I got the message that the App was purchased with another Apple ID. I was wary of deleting and reinstalling, so I logged out of the App Store, quit the App Store, launched the App Store again and logged in. I relaunched the problem app, and it bounced in the dock and disappeared as before, but within a second or two, the app appeared again in the dock launching, and worked as it normally did previous to this issue.

Nov 29, 2015 4:09 AM in response to MacLion

The apps that I can't reinstall from AppStore are those which have been updated to beyond OSX 10.6.8, which are many!

I have not checked all apps, but there may even be a few which have been removed from AppStore.

I have looked at an app from Finder > rt-click-app > Show Package Contents > Contents > MASReceipt > receipt, rt-click-file >open with TextEdit.

The 'broken' app contained the text:

#Apple Worldwide Developer Relations1D0B U ;Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Authority0

#Apple Worldwide Developer Relations1D0B U ;Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Authority0

101111215801Z

151111215801Z0x1&0$ U Mac App Store Receipt Signing1,0* U

215801Z

151111215801Z0x1&0$ U Mac App Store Receipt Signing1,0* U

After a successful reinstall, the app now contains the text:

;Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Authority0

151113021509Z

230207214847Z0Åâ1705 U .Mac App Store and iTunes Store Receipt Signing1,0* U

The numbers appear to indicate a new certificate extended from 13th Nov 2015 until 7th Feb 2023.

I have tried to change the expiry date in a receipt for an app which I can not reinstall because it has been updated to beyond OSX 10.6.8, but, despite changing file permissions, I am unable to save my changes.

I still have no reply from Apple Support to me email of 22 Nov! Not even an acknowledgement!

User uploaded file

Jan 30, 2016 12:34 AM in response to MacLion

Snow Leopard users take note of the following update for the Mac App Store:

The Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard ensures future compatibility of the Mac App Store with OS X Snow Leopard. It is recommended for all Snow Leopard users.

This update:

Installs a renewed intermediate signing certificate required by the Mac App Store. The certificate ensures that you can continue to use the Mac App Store in Snow Leopard to purchase new apps and run any previously purchased apps that use receipt validation.

Includes improvements to Mac App Store alerts.

To get the Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard, choose Software Update from the Apple menu.

It is also available at the following link:

Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard

Any updates on security certification App Store issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.