Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

security certificate error on the Mac App Store

How do I get my Mac Apps to work which have the following error type

"security certificate error"

IP

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 14, 2015 12:34 AM

13 replies

Nov 14, 2015 5:11 PM in response to FrankeeD

FrankeeD wrote:

It's totally random. Some work and some don't...

We have 3 Macs, and we noticed that if an app doesn't work on one Mac, it also doesn't work on the others.

Also, if an app still works, then it works on all our Macs.

So this indicates that there should be a list.

Idea: Couldn't Apple just put the "damaged" apps on the App Store update list?

So we users wouldn't have to identify and replace them manually.

Nov 15, 2015 3:04 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

You have to delete the apps and re-download them from the App Store.

If you can. When I tried this with BusyCal on Snow Leopard I was told to sign in with a different account (obviously I was signed in with the account that bought it). Mysteriously, after messing about a bit, it did download and work. However on another Snow Leopard Mac I had the same issue ('damaged') and was quite unable to download it from the App Store no matter what I did. In the end I copied it over from the first SL Mac, got the 'another computer' message, signed in, and it worked. it's fortunate I was in a position to do this (and have a Mavericks Mac where BusyCal 2 is OK), otherwise a vital application would have been rendered useless. There are bound to be people who are not in a position to do all this. The Apple System Status page is claiming that there are no problems. There is incidentally no Feedback page for the Mac App Store - where would be the best place to send some complaining feedback?

Nov 16, 2015 6:04 AM in response to coxorange

This is a procedure (shown below) I found from a poster to one of the other boards on this issue that worked well for me.

I also found this article about a possible cause for the issue to begin with:

http://www.imore.com/heres-whats-happening-mac-app-store-and-damaged-apps

Procedure:

Allan JonesNov 13, 2015 1:54 PM
Re: Any updates on security certification App Store issue?in response to tw9jd5

Apple is not here, only end users like you, so no one can give an "official" answer.

However, within the last hour I was able to recover all my non-functional apps, including three from Aspyr and one from a small developer.

1) Do one app at at time "just in case."

2) Sign out of the Mac App store and quit the App Store app:

User uploaded file

3) Delete the non-responsive app from your computer

4) Relaunch the the App Store app and sign in.

5) Click on the Purchases tab, then find the app you deleted. The button to its right should say "Install."

6) Click "Install."

7) Find the reinstalled app in your Applications folder and see if it launches,

That worked for all my problem apps and I am back to 100-percent function. I lost no saved data from the apps I restored.

Nov 18, 2015 9:53 PM in response to FrankeeD

Apple reissuing a certificate based on SHA-1 may have removed the re-download procedure in a recent occurrence I saw. I had this issue pop up on a machine running OS X Lion 10.7 with an app which has the current downloadable version requiring 10.9. So I couldn't do a redownload with Lion as its App Store doesn't support the "last compatible" version option.

When the app launched it bounced in the dock a few times, disappeared and I got the message that the App was purchased with another Apple ID. I was wary of deleting and reinstalling, so I logged out of the App Store, quit the App Store, launched the App Store again and logged in. I relaunched the problem app, and it bounced in the dock and disappeared as before, but within a second or two, the app appeared again in the dock launching, and worked as it normally did previous to this issue.

So I hope I don't have to see this issue again.😉

Jan 30, 2016 12:35 AM in response to MacLion

Snow Leopard users take note of the following update for the Mac App Store:

The Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard ensures future compatibility of the Mac App Store with OS X Snow Leopard. It is recommended for all Snow Leopard users.

This update:

Installs a renewed intermediate signing certificate required by the Mac App Store. The certificate ensures that you can continue to use the Mac App Store in Snow Leopard to purchase new apps and run any previously purchased apps that use receipt validation.

Includes improvements to Mac App Store alerts.

To get the Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard, choose Software Update from the Apple menu.

It is also available at the following link:

Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard

security certificate error on the Mac App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.