Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone charging port repair and replacement options

my less than year old iphone 6 has issues charging. it seems that even with brand new lightning charger cables, it would not charge unless i fiddle with it and look for the exact position in which it does charge. So very unreliable and something is clearly wrong with the port. WHat is the easiest way to get the port replaced?

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2017 9:26 AM

I'm embarrassed to say how skeptical I was about this... until I got a small paperclip and started digging. I had to use some moderate force and then... gobs of lint came out. I think I finally got all the lint out of the port and now, my problem is solved. Lightning cables make a good, tight connection now and I'm not constantly wiggling it around to get it to charge. Thank you!

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2017 9:26 AM in response to tonymaverick

I'm embarrassed to say how skeptical I was about this... until I got a small paperclip and started digging. I had to use some moderate force and then... gobs of lint came out. I think I finally got all the lint out of the port and now, my problem is solved. Lightning cables make a good, tight connection now and I'm not constantly wiggling it around to get it to charge. Thank you!

Jan 3, 2017 11:52 AM in response to nymac123

The final answer selected I believe is correct. But, some of the suggestions here to clean your port goes completely against Apple's recommendations. One problem Apple suggests is caused by using third party chords to charge your phone. If something as simple as that can cause your port to go bad, why would anyone would want to stick a soft wire, paper clip, or tac into their port to clean it? I've never had a problem with charging any of my Apple devices. But, even if its merely dust or crud buildup, there is a fundamental flaw in the Lightning port design. Apple needs to correct this. Apple is avoiding at all cost a major recall. Look at all the chatrooms, thousands if not millions of Apple owners are running into this problem.

Feb 28, 2017 12:25 PM in response to Magnaza

HI everyone I I came off holiday on February 10 2017 and down loaded the new update from Apple after it was done my phone would not hold a charge for more than 2 or 3 hours ,had about 3 phone conversations with Apple who all tried to solve the problem so went to Apple the GENIUS yes in capital letters said he would restore it as a new phone but never ever did he go into I tunes but lost half of my contacts and said give it a few days and see how the battery goes after a week ,went back to Apple with same problem not holding charge by the way the battery was diagnosed %92 first and second time in Apple ,so the only thing that could gave affected it was the update i told them this but they didn't believe me they could not give me an explanation as why the battery keeps dying and the only thing they kept telling me they would give me a refurbished one for £269 my iPhone is only 20 months old is thus the life of the £600 iPhone ,i know of more people with same problem,I thought that Apple were a reputable compansy but are they hiding repairs to iPhone rage reason being the Genius Bar were most of troubleshooting is done is so busy they stop taking appointments after seven days then it is like a lottery trying to get on the waiting list for the appoints just ridiculous has anyone had similar bad treatment

Mar 11, 2017 6:56 AM in response to nymac123

Just like all the answers here, searched Google for 'charging port not working on iphone 6', found this thread, tried cleaning out my port with the blunt end of a needle, and boom, can charge my phone again. The amount of fluff that can fit inside that charging port is staggering. Keep going until it's all out. Glad I didn't have to pay to get it repaired and be without the phone for a few days - this thread was a lifesaver.

Jul 1, 2017 11:58 AM in response to nymac123

I have the same problem....charging port that no longer seats sufficiently to charge. I have done the "blow the dust out" and when that did not work, turned off my phone, used a small alcohol wipe (the type used before they give you a shot or draw blood) and gently pushed that into the slot with a needle until it was packed in - gently moved it about and took it out. Let the alcohol evaporate for about five minutes and plugged in my phone. It works....but for how long is anyone's guess. Never had any issue of this type with the old 30 pin plugs.

May 19, 2016 10:00 AM in response to sunilbk7

My father always said "about 80% of electrical problems are bad/dirty connections". Holds true here too! I've been struggling with being un-able to charge my phone for a couple of weeks, bending the cord, using books/weird angles to get just the right spot. I was just about ready to take my out-of-warranty phone to an Apple store when I read about the pin clean method. I bent a small paper-clip open and dug around a little, dust bunnies and there babies fell out. How can that much lint fit in there? I then used canned-air to be sure it was totally clean. Bam. charging!

Thanks for the help/reminder! a clean charge port is a happy charge port!

Apr 27, 2017 2:31 PM in response to tonymaverick

Thank you for posting this . I was on the verge of upgrading my two year old iPhone 6. Tried different cables and I even blew out the port with air. Had to mess with cable just rt and carefully set it down so it would charge .

Cleaned out , scraped out port with a thin metal pin and wow! Couldn't believe all the dirt and dust that came out . Worked like a charm! Plugged it in and VIOLA! Thanks

May 26, 2017 10:57 PM in response to nymac123

A guy on youtube posted a comment to carefully clean out the port with a toothpick. There might be lint in there. He got dozens of thank yous, so it is probably worth a try.
Dont think I an post a link, but search youtube on "iPhone 6 Charging Port Replacement in 5 minutes, microphone fix, headphone jack repair"

EDIT: OK - I see now someone posted this tip a few days ago.. Still, you might find the video and comments of interest.

Jun 7, 2017 11:42 AM in response to nolim8s

nolim8s wrote:

which are a used phone with no warranty for $299 or a new phone $700

False. They may be new or re-manufactured. That is not the same as "used". They also come with a minimum of 90 days warranty. If they are replacing a unit that had a warranty, or AppleCare agreement, they will inherit the balance of that, or 90 days, whichever is longer.

iPhone charging port repair and replacement options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.