Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad pro slow internet

HI, is anybody having any problems with the Internet connection on their iPad pros? For some reason it seems to slow the whole network down when it's connected to wifi. I did a speed test on my iPhone 6 without the pro connected, and I was getting around 7mb but as soon as I connect the iPad it slows to 0.1mb. the same thing happens if I tether from my phone to my iPad. Any ideas?

Thanks

iPad pro-OTHER, iOS 9.1, slow internet on iPad pro

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2017 2:52 PM

Thank you I was going mad with a 1050€ device capable of a 1mo/sec download speed while my iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and even iPad 4 all were going at 39mo/sec.

I was ready to throw it out of the window.

i tried all sort of common troubleshoot but I would have never imagined that simply switching off the Bluetooth would fix the issue.

as as soon as l did that my wifi speed finally came back to normal an acceptable.

still they need to fix this as it's ridiculous that you can't have both Bluetooth and wifi open at the same time.

thanks really a lot. That helped me out big time

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2017 2:52 PM in response to vladanfromdubai

Thank you I was going mad with a 1050€ device capable of a 1mo/sec download speed while my iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and even iPad 4 all were going at 39mo/sec.

I was ready to throw it out of the window.

i tried all sort of common troubleshoot but I would have never imagined that simply switching off the Bluetooth would fix the issue.

as as soon as l did that my wifi speed finally came back to normal an acceptable.

still they need to fix this as it's ridiculous that you can't have both Bluetooth and wifi open at the same time.

thanks really a lot. That helped me out big time

Apr 26, 2017 4:02 AM in response to Diana.McCall

correct it would work on 5Ghz with better performance (althought speed would also be impacted by Bluetooth but in a minor way), BUT the problem is that most of the Wifi network are all 2.4Ghz.
All of them, mine at home is a 2.4Ghz with some CPL adapter that also run on 2.4Ghz.

The only place where i have 5Ghz is at my workplace but on all the aiports, restaurants, hotspots etc. they all run at 2.4Ghz simply because it provides maybe little slower speed but much higher signal strenght and range.
The 5Ghz is only good for very small places like home apartment etc. but in all aiports they all use 2.4Ghz as it would cover a much bigger area.

At my office the ISP knows this which is why you can always choose between 2.4 and 5.

so in case you are too far from a modem receiver you can pick-up the one that give better results based on your location.
In other words Apple need to fix this because it's ridiculous that you need to use only 5Ghz networks to have proper wifi signal on a 1K device supposed to be PRO.

More especially that i don't see why their Apple iPad 4, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 would all work perfectly fine on 2.4Ghz.

That doesn't make any sense to me.
Why would this specific model give so much problem while all other are doing fine.
Ok Bluetooth is disturbing the signal but then why that doesn't happen with all my other devices from Apple and also non Apple devices.

so for me connecting to a 5Ghz is not really a solution but a work around to the problem with some strong limitation since it's limiting a lot the device usage

Aug 26, 2017 5:10 AM in response to vladanfromdubai

Thanks for your post. Bluetooth off seems to have solved my issue also. I use an Apple Pencil and a note taking app and have had intermittent (and maddening) slow WIFI for too long. Many hours spent working with Apple Care didn't solve it and Apple even exchanged to new. More to the story, but fingers crossed that this fix continues to solve the problem.

Aug 31, 2017 8:55 AM in response to Leebo123

My pc blasts past my ipad pro in every respect and its a crappy laptop about 5 years old. My ipad pro is useless for surfing the internet and is CONSTANTLY freezing up when trying to load websites - i have to hit refresh like 10 times fot it to move past its stall point - often times it never does. Visiting the same sites on My crappy pc? 10 times as fast and i'm tring my best to be fair to apple in making that assessment.

Oct 5, 2017 4:44 AM in response to vladanfromdubai

Turning off Bluetooth did solve the issue also for me on an iPad Pro 10.5.

Regarding Apple Pencil. I tried with Bluetooth turned back on and with the Apple Pencil plugged into the lightning port. Even then the issue with very slow Website loading persisted.

So, only solution seems to be turning off Bluetooth. Seriously this is not how it should be. I need Bluetooth. So Apple seems to really have a big issue here.

I have no Safari problems at all in the same Wi-Fi network on an iPad mini, iPhone 6 or Mac. Only on the iPad Pro. It takes several minutes to load some pages. Very annoying.

Oct 7, 2017 1:49 AM in response to vladanfromdubai

OMG! This is brilliant! Thank you thank you thank you! This is exactly the problem! Bluetooth looking for the Pencil. I have the iPad Pro 2017 running iOS 11 and the problem is still there! It was so frustrating to experience considerably lower speed than normal. Apple must fix this!!! This is a serious defect preventing the product from performing to its full potential. If Apple is not fixing this (and there is no indication they will given the time this bug was first discovered), there should be a class action lawsuit!

I can’t believe you managed to find the cause of the problem! Good work! Thanks again!

Oct 7, 2017 2:44 AM in response to dicelu

Update: I take what I said about Apple back. I read a bit more about the interference issue and learned that it is just the nature of the technology (bluetooth and wifi). It is a common potential issue for any device using wifi and bluetooth. It is not specific to Apple. Fortunately, there is an easy solution, at least for me, that allows for bluetooth to be enabled on the iPad Pro (and Pencil connected) and still have a good wifi connection. The solution is to simply change WiFi channel. In my case, I had my router use channel 11 for some other reasons. But I now set it to "automatic", which means letting the router decide which channel is best, based on its evaluation of channels with the least interference. So while bluetooth is enabled on the iPad and Pencil connected, I changed the router channel setting. Wifi goes off and then back on. It is now on the optimal channel. And voila! Speedtests now consistently give the expected internet speed.

Oct 7, 2017 7:45 AM in response to DscheyH

Yesterday I had a chat with the Apple Support and they were very helpful. The issue is now fixed.

1. Reset the network via

Settings > General > Reset > network settings

2. Fully loaded the Apple Pencil.

3. Connected and removed the Apple Pencil

After that Safari runs as fast as expected. Actually I think the main issue was the not fully loaded Apple Pencil.

Oct 30, 2017 12:18 PM in response to vladanfromdubai

I had the same BS with my MacBook when using the Apple bluetooth mouse. Basically, I had to choose between using the mouse OR the internet, but not both at the same time due to the Bluetooth slowing down the internet to unusable. I now have a £60 paper weight that looks like a very stylish white mouse. This is seriously NOT what I’d expect from Apple, and especially when paying such a premium.

Dec 1, 2017 11:58 PM in response to Brett L

This has got to to be the oldest use of an excuse since Microsoft! I doubt there are 10 new ((very new) people that has not heard this reasoning. Come on you can do better then that!

I have purchased the iPad Pri thinking I was getting a top of the line product, boy was I disappointed! The pen is a wast of a $100 as only a few supported Apple products handle it.

The first video I went to use went in La La Land. I had to import it to video shop and then it imported it upside down! What the hey?!

All this money spent on a new iPad Pro & iPhone 8+ have been a very disappointing expieiance I’m ready to call it quits, all this memory and nothing to use it with.

Maybe they should quit fixing the X and stick to their staple.

Charlie Tre

iPad pro slow internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.