Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse 2 - Can't turn off Swipe Between Pages

Just purchased a Magic Mouse 2 to replace a worn out Magic Mouse. I prefer turning off swipe between pages since it makes me nuts in Safari. Unchecking this worked fine for my original Magic Mouse, but I cannot turn off the behavior with the Magic Mouse 2. I chatted with Apple which recommended a restart and if that didn't work removing the relevant plist files. Neither of those worked. I googled and it looks like one other person has this problem. I'm not sure about other behaviors as this is the only one that really bugs me. Any help is appreciated. I'm running the latest El Capitan on a late '13 MBP 15" Retina.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 15" late 2013

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2015 10:57 AM

It seems to be affecting all mouse options. However, i have discovered that by changing the settings for the trackpad, that the mouse follows those, so that's fine for now.

23 replies

Nov 17, 2015 11:49 AM in response to spencermfi

I have the same problem with a Magic Mouse 2--won't turn off "swipe between pages." I'm using a new iMac desktop and don't have a trackpad. Without it, you can't turn off the trackpad features, so for the moment I'm stuck watching the pages fly by in Safari every time your finger accidentally moves to the right or left on the Magic Mouse 2. Magic indeed!

Nov 28, 2015 4:28 AM in response to Jon Butler

Same problem here. Bought the new iMac & magic mouse two weeks ago. Just had a long chat with Apple support, tried several solutions, nothing worked.

Finally their recommendation was to perform a complete clean install. I don't believe that will work either, because I installed the Mac as a new computer when I got it. So, no other solutions sofar (except for the trackpad suggestion)?

Dec 3, 2015 2:38 AM in response to RSNED

I am running El Capitan 10.11.1 with 16 GB and am experiencing the same problem. I'm a very recent iMac convert and I really do want to love it, but this is yet another niggling issue that is making me wonder whether I've done the right thing in switching to the Mac. The hardware is gorgeous but so many things seem not to work as they should.

Dec 3, 2015 3:21 PM in response to spencermfi

Inconceivable that there doesn't seem to be a difference between checking all gesture prefs in Magic Mouse 2 Settings and Unchecking them. Swipes and gestures seem to be the same regardless. I work in Illustrator a lot, and moving the cursor to change tools often takes my artboard to Parts Unknown.

My 27" iMac with Retina 3.3 GHz 8 GB memory running El Cap 10.11.1 is BRAND NEW. I imported my previous install from Time Machine. On advice of another discussion of this issue, I went into files and deleted mouse pref settings (used to work in Unix world, so I do know what those are!) and rebooted.

There has been no change. At $2500, I think the default input devices should at least allow options for continuing with the same work habits one is used to (may I say over 10-15 years of using Macs). As a former quality assurance engineer who focussed on usability, I can't help but think "what the ...???, did no one regression test this?!?" Crap, are Norman and Tognazzini right about you, Apple???

Help, please. Before I (and all the others posting here about this) go insane from all the **** swiping.

Jul 28, 2016 12:04 PM in response to benvoice

Please; you are jumping into an old thread. Write a new thread. Tell us exactly what your problem is, what you have done to try to resolve it and exactly what OS you have and what mouse version you have. It is very important that we can address you as an individual; "I have the same" is a turn off in terms of attracting attention in the forums.

Magic Mouse 2 - Can't turn off Swipe Between Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.