Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem running some apps with El Capitan!

I have 2 Macs, MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2009) & MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012), both running El Capitan 10.11.1.

I installed MS Office 2016 and Dropbox in both. In MacBook Air they both run Ok. but Hang in MacBook Pro.

I searched the net for answers but did not find any. I'll appreciate any help.

Remark:

1-The only difference between the two is that MacBook Pro has Norton Internet Security installed. But I disabled.

2- I repaired permission.

3- I uninstall these apps and reinstall them.

Non of above made any difference.

Posted on Nov 18, 2015 8:52 PM

21 replies

Nov 18, 2015 9:20 PM in response to alkhater

It is not sufficient to merely disable "Norton". It must be uninstalled according to its instructions. Do not reinstall it, or anything like it.

Back up your Mac if you have not done so already. To learn how to use Time Machine read Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support.

One or more of the following may be applicable:

Uninstall Norton Internet Security for Mac

Removing Symantec programs for Macintosh by using the RemoveSymantecMacFiles removal utility

RemoveSymantecMacFiles

Nov 19, 2015 7:03 AM in response to kskhater

Determine if the problems also persist in "Safe Mode":

• Safe Mode or "Safe Boot" is a troubleshooting mode that bypasses all third party system extensions and loads only required system components. Read about it: Starting up in Safe Mode
  • You must disable FileVault before you can start your Mac in Safe Mode.
  • Starting your Mac in Safe Mode will take longer than usual, graphics will not render smoothly, audio is disabled on some Macs, and some programs (iTunes for example) may not work at all.
  • Merely starting your Mac in Safe Mode is not intended to resolve the problem, it's to observe its performance without certain additional components.
  • To end Safe Mode restart your Mac normally. Shutdown will take longer as well.

Nov 20, 2015 7:07 AM in response to kskhater

kskhater wrote:

Thanks for the help, but that did not solve the problem. The apps still hang on Safe Mode.

There are two possibilities: system corruption for reasons yet unknown, or hardware failure. In no particular order,

• Reinstall OS X from the Recovery partition. To do that read How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support. Reinstalling OS X does not remove your User account information or data, but back up your system first as a precaution against the unexpected.
  • Run Apple Hardware Test. AHT has limitations in that it performs little more than a cursory check of operable hardware, and a faulty system cannot be relied upon to diagnose itself. However, if it identifies a specific problem, it is likely to exist. I doubt it will reveal anything useful, but if the problems still exist in Safe Mode after reinstalling OS X, a hardware problem is likely to exist regardless of AHT's outcome.

Nov 21, 2015 8:28 AM in response to kskhater

Refer to the AHT instructions above, specifically Step 2: Press and hold the D key before the gray startup screen appears.

Do that but hold option d (two fingers) while you start your Mac with a third finger. Keep those two fingers where they are until you see the "spinning globe" icon, then release them. That action forces the Internet version of AHT to load.

Are you posting questions under two different Apple Support Communities user names, or are you a different user than alkhater? If you're not the same person you ought to consider posting a new question.

Nov 22, 2015 12:50 AM in response to kskhater

I run the AHT and got this error:

4SNS/1/40000000: TB3T-128.000 error.

I looked it up and found this:

Hardware Test Error 4SNS/1/40000000 TB3T-128.000

which indicate that its a sensor error and I should ignore because I had my battery replace.

I'm thinking of removing El Capitan and reinstalling Lion and then install these apps and then upgrade to El Capitan.

What do you think?

Problem running some apps with El Capitan!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.