Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stay with Mac or Back to Windows

Hi, I have been a Mac user now since June. Prior to that I had been on Windows for 1000 years. ;-) I was a programmer before I retired so I do know a little bit about computers. I have invested literally 100's of hours learning Mac and especially Numbers. For the most part, the spotty help features aside, I have enjoyed learning. I have used Apple phone support very much and it accelerated my learning curve. Butlatest problem is Numbers. When I click on Numbers it freezes. I have to force Quit. This is after having the problem (with both Numbers and Pages) addressed last week by Apple reps.

I have a very nice Mac with 16 Gig of memory as I wanted to keep it a long time and I was planning on doing some programming. But one of the reasons I came to Mac is for the reliability. I was tired of blue screens on Windows. But I don't recall Excel or Word freezing. I am wondering if my experience is common or an out of the ordinary.

I have learned a lot from this community. Before I decide to go back to Windows I am hoping I can get the benefit of your experience insights. If you can shed any light on the pros and cons of Apple vs Windows I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Serial Number>

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4, Talking to Siri via "Dashboard"

Posted on Nov 19, 2015 7:06 AM

17 replies

Nov 19, 2015 7:17 AM in response to MD_Gene

If the only issue you are having is with Numbers, then why not simply get MS Office for Mac and begin using those apps? Then you can continue using Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook if those apps are what you most comfortable with. In addition there are several web based MS Office clones you can use.

Like yourself (and millions of others) I switched from a Windows machine (which I still use at work) to OS X and haven't looked back. OS X without doubt is more secure and elegant than Windows will ever be. Dealing with Apple is a much more pleasant experience then dealing with Dell, HP, or the other hardware vendors which inevitably has to point a finger at Microsoft. After using both OS's (personal and work) given the choice I would choose Apple every time.

You have not been specific about your frustrations with Numbers so it is tough to help you and we don't know if you have had the opportunity to pose questions in the Numbers (Pages or Keynote) forums where the application gurus hang out.

As far as using a Mac as a developers platform, I'd also suggest that you look into becoming a registered OS X or IOS developer and speaking to those users.

Nov 19, 2015 8:19 AM in response to MD_Gene

you can also try out libra office it's a free office suit for both windows and OS X

I'm a code monkey too but I never really do much in terms of spreadsheet and word-processing at home but I do have libra office and iWork's on my mac I dualboot with windows 10 where I don't have a office suit installed as I use that for gaming and software development mostly

Nov 19, 2015 8:29 AM in response to MD_Gene

I agree with both recommendations (consider LibreOffice or MS Office for Mac). I have find Numbers to be, frankly, the least impressive of the popular spreadsheet programs. I'd even use Google Spreadsheets before using Numbers.

That said, it's possible Numbers or some configuration file related to it is corrupted somehow.

Have you tried creating and logging in as another user to see if Numbers also needs the force-quit for that user (indicating a user-specific problem)?

If it's not user-specific, have you considered just deleting Numbers completely and then re-downloading it from the Mac App Store?

Nov 19, 2015 8:42 AM in response to MD_Gene

There is something else going on. I am also a former Windows user for a bajillion years and switched to iMac and could never be happier. I also regularly use Numbers and in the last four years it has never locked up once. So, I think you have some other things going on. I would suggest you download EtreCheck and post the results here and let some of the folks much smarter than me take a look and see if they can spot your issue.

EtreCheck's web site can be found at this link. http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Nov 19, 2015 8:59 AM in response to Mobile Blues

Thanks. I too was happy to leave Windows behind. I particularly did not like the crap that came along with apps that one downloaded. For example, about 8 months ago I wanted Stickies on my PC and downloaded an app. I got so much crap along with it, I had to do a system restore from the previous save.

I agree that I must have something else going on. I have scheduled a call with Apple for this afternoon. I have downloaded Libra Office. I will ask the Apple rep about EtreCheck.

Nov 19, 2015 9:37 AM in response to woodmeister50

woodmeister50 wrote:

Since you were a recent convert from Windows, did you out of

force of habit install any antivirus apps? These almost always cause all

manor of strange issues.

Antivirus apps for OS X simply are not necessary and in many cases make more problems than they solve. OS X is an extremely elegant OS and needs no third party antivirus, cleaning, or other maintenance utilities. It runs best and most reliably if left alone.

Nov 19, 2015 9:36 AM in response to rkaufmann87

So rkaufman87, when you switched how did you adjust to help on the Mac. I thought that help on Windows, especially apps like Excel and Word had great comprehensive, robust, and accurate help functions. I do not find that on Mac. In help I will search on an option in an app menu and the search of help returns nothing. So how did YOU deal with that? I find it frustrating as does my wife who followed me over to Mac.

Thanks.

Nov 19, 2015 9:46 AM in response to MD_Gene

MD_Gene wrote:

So rkaufman87, when you switched how did you adjust to help on the Mac. I thought that help on Windows, especially apps like Excel and Word had great comprehensive, robust, and accurate help functions. I do not find that on Mac. In help I will search on an option in an app menu and the search of help returns nothing. So how did YOU deal with that? I find it frustrating as does my wife who followed me over to Mac.

Thanks.

I used Apple's help and because I bought AppleCare I relied on that too. AppleCare is a smart investment because you can pick up the phone call for up to 3 years and get someone that speaks in my native tongue (English) and is friendly and generally knowledable. It also extends the warranty to 3 years. If they first line support does not know an answer they elevate to a senior advisor and get you help. This is totally different than the experience I had as a Windows user. Every new machine I have bought I get AppleCare and from time to time still rely on their phone support. Fortunately I have had great luck with the hardware and have never required any repairs. I now have owned 2 iMacs, 1 Mac Mini, 2 MacBook Airs (1 was stolen) and 1 MacBook Pro. Currently we have one of the iMacs, the MM and the replacement MB Air.

Nov 19, 2015 10:26 AM in response to rkaufmann87

You sound like an ad for Apple. :-) I too purchased the AppleCare and have made generous use of it. But I still find it a little frustrating when in an app and I type in something like "Choose" as it's an option in the menu bar, and Help returns nothing. It's almost like they are saying, "That's for Apple to know and you to find out". ;-)

I do appreciate your insights.

I appreciate all of the help I get on these forums too.

Nov 19, 2015 12:54 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I really don't think I will go back. But I am a little frustrated with the Help feature. I keep hoping or expecting an epiphany and all will be well with regard to the help. Both my wife and I enjoy learning on our own but when one can't search on any option it's difficult. But, being only 20 minutes to an Apple Store I have taken major advantage of that option too. There are a couple of very sharp people there and the "Open Learning" is a great way to jump start with some issues. I have become pretty versed in Numbers and actually contributed something to that Forum last week. Had to do with copying 2 tables from one sheet to another with the same copy command. I do like learning stuff like that.

Stay with Mac or Back to Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.