Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen sharing disconnect puts display to sleep

When using screen sharing to connect to a Mac Mini running El Capitan, the display is put to sleep when I disconnect.

I've adjusted the energy setting "Turn display off after:" to "Never". However, when I disconnect from screen sharing, the display still turns off. I want the display to remain on.

Posted on Nov 19, 2015 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2017 3:05 PM

Found this on another Apple forum:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.RemoteManagement RestoreMachineState -bool NO

I have El Capitan, Mac Mini. Turning off VNC used to turn off the local display, but no longer. Typing the above command into Terminal did the trick.

23 replies

Nov 26, 2015 2:29 AM in response to jms703

jms703 wrote:

When using screen sharing to connect to a Mac Mini running El Capitan, the display is put to sleep when I disconnect.

I've adjusted the energy setting "Turn display off after:" to "Never". However, when I disconnect from screen sharing, the display still turns off. I want the display to remain on.

I have the exact same problem, using a mac mini with no keyboard or mouse...

sometimes if I restart the mac mini it stops doing it for a few days but will do it again...

Nov 26, 2015 5:44 AM in response to Hughesy

I tried to replicate this, but I couldn't. I don't have a Mac Mini, but trying this with an iMac, I removed the batteries from the keyboard and mouse, and connected via Screen Sharing from my rMBP. Closing the connection or quitting Screen Sharing always left the screen turned ON.

I would suggest restarting the Mac Mini in Safe Mode. This will probably require temporarily connecting a keyboard and mouse. Then restart normally and see if this has helped.

Jan 13, 2016 2:15 PM in response to jms703

Just wanted to confirm that I am also having this issue for El Capitan Mac Mini's. If attach a keyboard and disconnect from the machine after using screen share it works fine.

My problem is similarly situated in terms of jms703's above. We are using these as kiosk displays for information, and when a user goes to remote in, the screen is turned on. As soon as that user disconnects, the screen is turned. Similar to a screen saver mode. Even if all power settings are set to not allow this behavior.

Jan 20, 2016 7:43 PM in response to jms703

I also have the exact same problem.

Restarting the mac mini seems to fix it for a while, some times for a few days, sometimes only for an hour or so.

2011 mac mini server running el captain with no peripherals.

Mac mini is connected via hdmi to my tv. I use my macbook air to control it via screen sharing.
Problems seems to have started after upgrading to el captain.

Screen sharing disconnect puts display to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.