Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Korean Language Input Not Available

I switch between Korean and English input regularly and used Korean as recently as last week. This issue was discovered today:

• upon switching to Korean from English via the keyboard shortcut, nothing happened.
  • Checking "Input Sources" in "Keyboard Preferences", only English is listed and checked.
  • Korean is not available on the list of languages.
  • Checked "Language & Region", my preferred languages have not changed, English (United States) — Primary; Korean is next
  • Tried to add Chinese under "Input Sources" in "Keyboard Preferences", but Chinese is also missing from the list
  • Tried to add Japanese under "Input Sources" in "Keyboard Preferences", but Japanese is also missing from the list
  • Tried to add Spanish under "Input Sources" in "Keyboard Preferences", Spanish is available and works

I have done the following, but none have worked:

• rebooted — still no Korean, Chinese, or Japanese
  • deleted the 'com.apple.HIToolbox.plist' file from my user Library and rebooted — still no Korean, Chinese, or Japanese
  • switched my Primary language to Korean, and rebooted, this works, but still no Korean language input; the keyboard is set to English
  • created a new user and added Korean under "Input Sources" in "Keyboard Preferences" — this works!

This is definitely a problem with my user account, but how can I fix this??

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 7:53 AM

Did you also run sudo rm -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache.le* after trashing the .plist as advised in

Pinyin (keyboard) input layout missing

Also a safe boot should fix cache problems

OS X El Capitan: Start up in safe mode

It may be some other .plist gone bad in user/library/preferences. You could try removing all of them to you desktop and restarting. The default versions should be regenerated.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 7:53 AM in response to J. Blake Coco

Did you also run sudo rm -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache.le* after trashing the .plist as advised in

Pinyin (keyboard) input layout missing

Also a safe boot should fix cache problems

OS X El Capitan: Start up in safe mode

It may be some other .plist gone bad in user/library/preferences. You could try removing all of them to you desktop and restarting. The default versions should be regenerated.

Nov 24, 2015 10:01 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tried trashing the com.apple.HIToolbox.plist, running the terminal command, and rebooting — didn't work.

Tried moving the Apple-only .plists and rebooting — didn't work.

Tried moving all the .plists and rebooting — didn't work.

Lastly, I tried Safe Mode, this did work. The machine did shutdown on the first try, so something was up, but the second Safe Mode boot sorted it.

Tried to write thank you in Korean here, that didn't work, oddly (coz you'd think these forums would support that; "The message contains invalid characters.")

But I digress, thanks for the help and the fast response.

Nov 24, 2015 11:34 AM in response to J. Blake Coco

J. Blake Coco wrote:

Lastly, I tried Safe Mode, this did work. The machine did shutdown on the first try, so something was up, but the second Safe Mode boot sorted it.

Glad to hear it got fixed. It was probably a cache issue of some sort in addition to the .plist.

In theory the forums should let you write in Korean or any other script, but sometimes they reject things for no obvious reason (probably part of some kind of spam control system).

Korean Language Input Not Available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.