Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an alternative to TotalFinder?

Hi friends.

I´m always use to explore my folders & files TotalFinder app in older version than El Capitan..

In TotalFinder 1.7.10 that It´s "the most compatible", I have to partial disable OSX security (SIP) and I´m a little afraid it. I have to solutions I see:

1.- Install an alternative App

2.- Partial disable SIP but I don´t know...

Thanks for your answer.

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2017 9:45 AM

K I M B A K A T wrote:

Why does Apple think I have only 5 things going on ..when really I have 15-20 things???

I don't think Apple thinks about how many things you have going on.

If you would like Apple to know you would like more colors, let them know…

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

37 replies

Apr 21, 2017 8:52 AM in response to GoldFran

XtraFinder has way more interesting options including bringing your full color labels back.

You can also make the background to your Finder Windows have a BLACK Background with light blue text...very cool..and easier on the eyes.

My ONLY gripe...with Mac OS TAGS and these "alt Finder" tools...is that you still....still

CANNOT CHANGE ANY OF THE BASE COLORS in the system tags!

I wish someone would just show us where that file is deep in the system folder so I can change them manually. I like my highlights to be in the darker range of the color wheel...on the screen..because my finder text is light blue.

It needs to be just another color.

All in all..I need about 15-18 different color options to separate my filing situation in my windows.

Why does Apple think I have only 5 things going on ..when really I have 15-20 things???

Nov 24, 2015 4:42 PM in response to GoldFran

Hello GoldFran,

You can certainly disable or modify SIP if you want, but it is an advanced system modification and would certainly cause problems in the future. The TotalFinder support page that describes the process (http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/system-integrity-protection) also recommends against it and advises users that TotalFinder is being discontinued. The discussion forum includes a list of TotalFinder alternatives: http://discuss.binaryage.com/t/totalfinder-alternatives/4124.

There is nothing lazy or incompetent about TotalFinder's developer. Those kinds of system modifications were very popular in the past. But going forward, the Mac experience will be much different. You will see far fewer system modifications and I strongly suggest you avoid any that you do find. Apple is changing the operating system too quickly for 3rd party developers to keep up. In the future, it will be a much more iOS-like experience.

Nov 24, 2015 7:42 PM in response to GoldFran

Either an application needs to access a file in a "protected" system folder or it doesn't. And if installing such an app is something you want to do, and you know it's safe, you shouldn't let anyone tell you what you want.

Disabling SIP is not difficult at all, and is quite comprehensive: What is System Integrity Protection?

(Note that I am affiliated with that site, and some pages contain ads).

You can re-enable it when you are done if you want, but personally I leave it disabled because I am of the opinion that it causes more problems than it solves.

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

<Edited by Host>

Nov 24, 2015 6:20 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Hello stevejobsfan0123,

There is more to SIP than just protecting directories. It is true that a developer that relies on modification of system paths is likely just incompetent or lazy. But you can't really make that determination without analyzing each specific app in question. Some software will run just fine /usr/local, in that case, there is no point in trying to modify /usr. But if the developer is actually trying to modify some existing Apple resource, executable, or config file, then modifying a protected directory might be the only way. (But usually there is always another way.) And to tell the truth, it is only a few particularly nasty open-source libraries and Perl modules that are the biggest offenders here.

The other, more important component of SIP is protecting processes. This is probably what breaks TotalFinder. Here is slightly more information: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Security/Conceptual/System _Integrity_Protection_Guide/Introduction…

The key part to remember here is the audience. People hear something like "System Integrity Protection" and think it is some kind of security architecture to protect them. It isn't. It is security protection for Apple, not for the user. (See: About System Integrity Protection on your Mac - Apple Support). What does SIP protect Apple from? Malware, certainly. But it also protects Apple from legal and legitimate hacking, illegal hacking, and, last but not least, the user himself or herself.

Does this mean that disabling SIP is wrong or risky? Not really. Considering the fact that El Capitan has SIP enabled by default, those system directories are protected by a technological version of "herd immunity". No halfway decent hacker would choose that path of attack, so the presence of SIP on most machines even provides protection to those people who keep it turned off. You would get virtually all the protection against malware, but none of the restrictions.

As for me, I keep SIP turned on. If I were into hacking, I would just use Linux. But I reserve the right to change my position in the future.

Nov 28, 2015 10:24 AM in response to etresoft

Hi etresoft

How I said in my first post, I´m sysadmin and security system so I understand your long information, thanks for this info.

Returning to the explanation... It´s truth that SIP it´s young "technology" by Apple. Furthermore, this technology is not the panacea security because your principal focus It´s "spam, adware..." Really to resume, It is not a security system to use... It´s internal function that primarily affects to 3rd party developers.

I don´t deep student this technology so my opinion It´s much smaller. for this reason launch my question in this post.

In conclusion. As this technology is very new, we know for sure that can happen if you disable SIP, so I think better not disable for this moment. Right?

Nov 28, 2015 12:42 PM in response to GoldFran

Hello again GoldFran,

I would recommend against disabling SIP unless you had a specific reason not to. It will work fine for virtually everyone. Staying out of system directories has always been good practice in UNIX. There are a few people who have a specific need to disable it. I know stevejobsfan0123 has been doing some low level work that requires SIP to be disabled.

For me, it is more of a principle thing than a security thing. I always use a standard user so that prevents me, or any software I'm working with, from modifying those system directories. The ones I might want to modify are already excluded from SIP. I just have to su to an admin user and then sudo to access them. But generally, I consider tweaking system resources to be more a Linux thing and I would rather let Apple handle those details so I can focus on things I want to do instead.

Nov 28, 2015 12:45 PM in response to etresoft

Yes, It´s probably than don´t disable SIP... If totalfinder it´s discontinue developed, I search any alternative and this problem disappear 🙂

I´m not a developer but use any "terminal apps and command" for my job... Use "homebrew" to expand UNIX-Linux experience --> http://brew.sh/ and use other apps for example wireshark, pyrit and the other hacking (white hacking) apps but this, never have me any problem with SIP.

At moment SIP it´s up

Dec 8, 2015 4:44 PM in response to GoldFran

Hello again GoldFran,

Both Tuxera and VMWare Fusion have methods for handling NTFS volumes on a Mac. In the future, however, you will not find 3rd party tools integrated with the operating system like this. You will have to rely on the 3rd party vendor to support your operating system. For example, Tuxera seems to have an El Capitan solution: https://www.tuxera.com/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac-2015-ships-with-a-new-app-to-format-c heck-and-repair-ntfs-drives-on-os-x-el-capitan/

Dec 12, 2015 11:37 AM in response to etresoft

Hi.

I don `t believe that Apple pay to use Microsoft´s license by NTFS... It´s more likely that always use a 3rd party apps..

I don´t know that the problem with NTFS format in VMWare fusion, Either from Apple or VMWare... The problem is VMWare don´t format on NTFS my USB device (3 USB device or diferent vendors).

Please, if It´s possible,I could someone confirm this problem...

Feb 9, 2016 2:09 PM in response to GoldFran

Well...

More problem with SIP...

When I want install an other SO (ubuntu for example), I can´t install it, because 3rd boot manager (rEFIt) don´t work with SIP... Only one solution It´s use rEFInd with "tips" to don´t use disable SIP... (long tips...)

Nevertheless, if disable sip, all is more easy!!

Installing rEFInd with SIP Enabled

The end result of SIP is that rEFInd cannot be installed under OS X 10.11 in the way described on theInstalling rEFIndpage—at least, not without first booting intoRecovery mode,in which SIP restrictions are ignored; ordisabling SIP(either temporarily or permanently). This page covers these two options in more detail, as well as a third:Using another OSto install rEFInd.

Using Recovery Mode

Unless you've deleted it, the Recovery HD partition should be present on your Mac as a way to perform emergency recovery operations. The nature of this tool means that SIP cannot be enabled when using it, so you can install rEFInd from a boot to this partition. The trouble is that this installation is not a full-fledged OS X system, so you may have trouble using it if you're not comfortable with such a bare-bones environment. Nontheless, it is arguably the best way to install rEFInd on a Mac that runs OS X 10.11. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Download the rEFInd binary.zipfileand unpack it. You can unpack it on your regular hard disk or on a USB flash drive. Pay attention to where it's located, though; you'll need to find it later. Pay attention to both the name of the volume and thecompletepath to the directory in which it's stored. (Your home directory is normally/Users/yourname, whereyournameis your username. Your Desktop is normally/Users/yourname/Desktop.
  2. Reboot the computer.
  3. At the startup chime, hold down the Command+R key combination. The computer should launch into the Recovery system. This is a very bare system, with only a window providing a way to launch a handful of utilities and a menu bar. You must use the latter.
  4. Select Utilities -> Terminal from the menu bar. A Terminal window should open.
  5. If you unpacked rEFInd on a USB flash drive, insert it and wait for its access light (if it has one) to stop blinking.
  6. Increase the size of the Terminal a bit. (This just makes its output more legible, since the next step produces long lines.)
  7. Typedf -hin the Terminal. This produces a list of partitions that are mounted. Locate the one on which you unpacked the rEFInd files. It will normally be/Volumes/Somename, whereSomenameis the volume's name.
  8. In the Terminal, usecdto change to the directory where the rEFInd files you unpacked earlier are stored. For instance, on my MacBook, I would typecd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/rodsmith/Destkop/refind-0.10.2. Note that if any element of this path includes a space, you must either enclose theentire pathin quotes or precede the space with a backslash (\), as in this example'sMacintosh\ HDvolume name.
  9. Typelsto verify thatrefind-installis present in this directory.
  10. Type./refind-installto run the installation script. It should run normally, as described on theInstalling rEFIndpage. You can add options, if you like, as described on that page. Alternatively, you can perform a manual installation, also as described on that page.
  11. Reboot.

At this point, rEFInd should come up and enable you to boot into OS X and any other OS(es) that are already installed. You should not need to perform these steps again unless OS X re-installs its own boot loader or a subsequent OS installation overrides the default boot option. You can install an updated rEFInd and it should install correctly, provided you're installing it to the EFI System Partition (ESP). Therefind-installscript may complain about a failure, but because you're overwriting one rEFInd binary with another one, it should continue to boot. (If you installed rEFInd to an HFS+ partition, though, replacing the original file will require usingblessto tell the firmware about the change, so updating such an installation probably won't work with SIP active.)

Is there an alternative to TotalFinder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.