Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i photo crashing version 9.4.3 on OSX 10.8.5

hello, here is the report i get when I photo crashes.

1., I did reguidl using i photo manager then

2. i copy rebuild to external hard drive

3. then open either rebuild or older i still get crashing error as described below

please advise

Process: iPhoto [511]

Path: /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto

Identifier: com.apple.iPhoto

Version: 9.4.3 (9.4.3)

Build Info: iPhotoProject-720091000000000~1

App Item ID: 408981381

App External ID: 15017489

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [124]

User ID: 502

Date/Time: 2015-11-25 11:30:41.779 -0500

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.5 (12F2560)

Report Version: 10

Interval Since Last Report: 15380 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 6

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 8465 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 4

Anonymous UUID: 91E47ABB-9645-C7F8-2D6E-F9E73A4B247D

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000c5312a30

VM Regions Near 0xc5312a30:

CG backing stores 00000000c2ba5000-00000000c2ba6000 [ 4K] rw-/rw- SM=SHM

-->

CG shared images 00000000c5e0b000-00000000c5e13000 [ 32K] rw-/rw- SM=SHM

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 8:46 AM

Since a few days iPhoto 9.4.3 keeps crashing on Mac OS X 10.8.5, because the Google Maps servers seem to be causing problems. The Google Maps are no longer supported.

. Try the fix described here:

There is a problem with the Places feature, because the Google maps are no longer supported.

See Huxly647's solution:

Huxly647Nov 20, 2015 12:05 AM
Re: iPhoto crashes after opening repeatedlyin response to carvermonHelpful

I found a fix that works for me..

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

Iphoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

Let me know if it works for you guys...

Removing the two files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html from iPhoto's application bundle prevents the javascript inside from being executed and causing the crash. To access the files inside the iPhoto application select it in the Finder and ctrl-click it. Then use the command "Show Package Contents" from the menu. Open the subfolder Contents, then Resources.

Don't try this fix without making a copy of the iPhoto application before you try to remove the two files from the application bundle.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Scott Malone

Since a few days iPhoto 9.4.3 keeps crashing on Mac OS X 10.8.5, because the Google Maps servers seem to be causing problems. The Google Maps are no longer supported.

. Try the fix described here:

There is a problem with the Places feature, because the Google maps are no longer supported.

See Huxly647's solution:

Huxly647Nov 20, 2015 12:05 AM
Re: iPhoto crashes after opening repeatedlyin response to carvermonHelpful

I found a fix that works for me..

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

Iphoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

Let me know if it works for you guys...

Removing the two files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html from iPhoto's application bundle prevents the javascript inside from being executed and causing the crash. To access the files inside the iPhoto application select it in the Finder and ctrl-click it. Then use the command "Show Package Contents" from the menu. Open the subfolder Contents, then Resources.

Don't try this fix without making a copy of the iPhoto application before you try to remove the two files from the application bundle.

Nov 25, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Scott Malone

what do you mean make a copy of i photo application?

I just think it safer to have a copy of the application before digging around inside the application; just as a precaution, in case we accidentally delete the wrong files.

It is no longer easy to reinstall iPhoto, since Apple stopped selling it from the App Store.

so do i need to do anything else?

No, if iPhoto is working, all should be o.k. 🙂

Nov 28, 2015 5:57 PM in response to léonie

léonie's fix works!

Thank you SO much for your answer - I had this identical problem and your clear explanation and instructions made me feel brave enough to try it.

I haven't used iPhoto for a few weeks and encountered this problem this morning. I have several libraries and some of them opened with no problem but others repeatedly crashed. After reading your answer I tried them all again. All the ones that crashed were the ones I'd left the 'information' panel open in. If I hadn't used the information panel in a particular library, it didn't crashed on opening. So I clicked on the 'information' button for these libraries and each of them crashed immediately.

I'm not computer savvy and get nervous trying something like deleting files required by an app. But your answer made sense and my experiment seemed to point to what you were explaining. So for other users who have this problem and are not sure - Yes, this is a perfect fix.

(Please *Backup* FIRST - just in case.)

Nov 29, 2015 1:31 PM in response to léonie

Thank you leonie (sorry I don't know how to put the accent mark over your name) for your wonderful directions, and to Huxly647 who figured it out, and to Scot who solicited the directions for copying the iPhoto Application.

I also have iMac OSX 10.8.5 with iPhoto 9.4.3 and the same problem which I only noticed today because I don't use the info button on iPhoto often. Usually I get the info I need from Preview. iPhoto crashed when I clicked on "info" or "View/Manage My Places" or "Library/Places".

I found the support page on this problem immediately but then I couldn't find Contents/Resources in the Applications/iPhoto.app lists. So I was really happy to see the instructions on accessing those files in Finder. Of course, I tried the Spotlight finder first and got nowhere, of course.

I did have an easy time making a copy of iPhoto with the instructions leonie provided. THANKYOU! I have been through the trauma of rebuilding iPhoto and hope never to have to go through that again.

I saved the copy of iPhoto in a folder and added copies of the two Google files I deleted - just in case.

I would definitely upgrade to elCapitan if Apple or HP would provide upgrade drivers for my HP Scanner 8300, but none are available.

Thanks again for the great help.

SCSilverfox

Nov 29, 2015 1:43 PM in response to MISilverfox

You're welcome, 🙂

I solved the driver problem for my scanners by investing into VueScan.

It provides drivers for most scanners and I can use the older scanners on the new systems. Ans it gives phantastic results when scanning old slides and negatives, because it has presets for all the films I ever used.

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/supported-scanners.html

Jan 20, 2016 11:01 AM in response to Scott Malone

YES! Thank you Huxly647 and léonie!!
I'm amazed that I had the same problem, and had the same versions of OS X and iPhoto: "iPhoto 9.4.3 keeps crashing on Mac OS X 10.8.5".

What are the odds? The problem started yesterday -- somehow I had been able to use GoogleMaps and iPhoto with no problems for two months longer than many here report. Deleting the Google html files did the trick. You people are amazing.

Jan 20, 2016 11:13 AM in response to cameron828

somehow I had been able to use GoogleMaps and iPhoto with no problems for two months longer than many here report.

Google may not have updated all servers at the same time.

So you have been lucky.

Have you seen this fix by cotton-x? Re: iPhoto 11 - Problems With Photo Locations

It takes Huxley's brilliant solution even further. Instead of deleting the Google files, cotton-x is patching them with a private key. This way the javascript inside does no longer use the expired Apple key, but a new, valid private key, and the Goggle Maps are working again in iPhoto 9.4.3 amd 9.4.5.

i photo crashing version 9.4.3 on OSX 10.8.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.