Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Half moon next to contact on iPhone

one of my contacts has a 1/2 moon next to her texts. There is no text tone when she texts but there is a tone for other contacts.

[Re-Titled by Host]

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 4:20 AM

Hello.

All u need to do is swipe left at the name on the right from message list.

There’s “hide alerts n Delete”

Click on show alerts.

Simple as that.

Cheers took me ages had to work it out myself.

Everyone always saying turn off the moon derrrrrr tks. Not it.

Luislell. :)

27 replies

Jan 24, 2018 11:44 AM in response to stilllearningappleafterallthis

Open your Messages App. Tap the contact that has the grey half-moon next to it. When the messages open, tap the circle "i" icon in the top right corner. Under the name, you will see "Send My Current Location" and "Share My Location" in blue. Beneath that you will see "Hide Alerts." If that is green, tap on it to make it white. That will turn that function off. Tap "Done" in the top left corner to seal the deal.

It worked for me.

Feb 13, 2018 6:27 AM in response to Lmuhlenbruck

In iOS 11.2.5; Open your Messages App. Tap the contact that has the grey half-moon next to it. When the text messages open, tap the circle "i" icon in the top right corner. Under the name, you will see "Send My Current Location" and "Share My Location" in blue. Beneath that you will see "Hide Alerts." If that switch is green, tap on it to make it white. That will turn that function off. Tap "Done" in the top left corner to seal the deal.

It worked for me. 😀

Mar 7, 2018 6:21 PM in response to Kadelarosa

Hi Kadelarosa

i just figured this out, using the information from a few of the threads.. It was very confusing, but turns out to be very simple in the end

in the Messges app 'inbox' select the contact person's name

Swipe left on the person's name

You will see a blue square (show/hide alerts) and a red square (Delete)

select the blue square "hide alerts". This will show a half moon icon beside that person's name.

If you want to get rid of the half moon (I.e. to receive alerts when that person sends you a message), just press the blue button again. This will "show alerrts".

i hope this makes sense

kind regards

Michael

Mar 8, 2018 10:41 AM in response to Spartagon

As others have said, open a text from that contact then click on the information icon (i within a circle) however rather than looking for a Do Not Disturb button, look at the “Hide Alerts” option and slide that to Off and then close it out. When you go back to your Messages there should no longer be the moon next to thier name/pic

Nov 25, 2015 7:43 PM in response to Lmuhlenbruck

Hi Lmuhlenbeuck. Can you explain what you mean when you say "next to her texts?" If possible, please provide a snapshot for an example. Take a snapshot by pressing the home button and sleep button at the same time. Also, when you say that there is no text tone, do you mean that when you receive a text it is silent, whereas other contacts receive a text tone?

Mar 9, 2016 6:36 PM in response to Lmuhlenbruck

That symbol is visible when the "do not disturb" is on. I had it show up with texts from a friend even though I never opted to use the Do Not Disturb (didn't even know it was there). To get rid of it:

Click on the message. The screen with the text should have a Details box in the upper right corner. Click on that & undo the Do Not Disturb option.

Half moon next to contact on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.